Tabacon Hot Springs

jpm19

Has anyone went to the Tabacon Hot Springs on their own from the port? How far is it? We were there a few years ago while staying in Costa Rica, and we loved it. Unfortunately, we were enroute to another destination so didn't spend as much time there as we would have liked.

After doing some research, I found out the Arenal Volcano and Hot Springs excursion goes to the Tabacon Resort as the hot springs. A while back I remember reading it was a 1.5 hour bus ride....but am not able to locate the source right now. We are taking the Coral Princess in Feb 2010 and am considering this tour. They state the tour is 10 to 10.5 hours. I remember thinking we had 3 hours on the bus, 7 hours at the pools. The brochure states the resort has 12 different pools. It appears you thought it was worth while. I am VERY interested to hear all you can tell. I will try to find the source regarding the distance.

This is a quote I found, but it does not give a time

"I did the Tabacon Hot Springs and Mount Arenal excursion and thoroughly enjoyed it. The drive there and back was beautiful (but very long drive, just be warned). We saw banana plantations and other beautiful sights, plus much more of the Costa Rican countryside than anyone else on the ship. Plus once we got to the resort we had the opportunity to relax in the wonderful hot springs. And you truly could find your own private pool. The food provided at the resort was very good (a buffet lunch is provided with the excursion) and there is a small gift shop there to buy things like coffee and souvenirs. We were very lucky and Mount Arenal came into full view just as we were leaving, so our guide stopped the bus so we could all see. It something like less than 15% of visitors get a full view of the Mountain."

The different pools were amazing - you really could find your own private pool, if you so wished. There was a small bar somewhere in the middle, where you could have a drink in jungle paradise. After changing, we walked around, took pictures, and finished off with a delicious lunch.

Thank you so much for your reply, jpm129. I am in such a quandary over this excursion. The excursion write-up makes it sound wonderful. After you posted your thread , I realized the hot springs were Tabacon and we were talking about the same area. Yesterday I received this reply to my post:

"We did this tour in 2006. Hot springs were lovely. but....The ride from Puntarenas was very long and scary (nearly went off a bridge three times, and then had to back up a hill and around a corner to allow oncoming traffic by). We left very early in the am and they had to hold the ship for us in the evening...about 13 hour trip, most of it in the bus. One stop each way, limited time at the springs, and the terror of the ride would prevent us from taking this tour again."

What year did you go to the hot springs, and do you remember how long you were on the bus? I am not apposed to spending 2 hours each way as that still leaves 6 hours at the springs. (the tour is listed as 10 hours). My husband and I like to ride, like to see the area, and the bus ride would be a good way to do this. Two things concern me, spending MOST of the time on the bus and being concerned for safety. Anything else you could tell me would be greatly appreciated.

We were there as a family group of 13 in Dec. of 2003. We hired our own bus and driver from San Jose to Quepos on the Pacific Ocean. He toured us to different areas, including Tabacon Hot Springs. The entire day was an amazing experience, and I don't remember the roads being that bad. However, my husband and son flew to Liberia in Jan. of 2008 and they rented their own car travelling and staying in different places. When they came back, I was told that I would not have enjoyed their trip because of the roads they went on - crossing streams, etc. I know I haven't really answered your question....

Archived