Dress Code On P&O

Noblemount

I have been reading this as i will be going on my first P&O cruise in 5 days and really can't wait. In our household we have had countless arguements about the dress code for formal nights and we personally have come to this conclusion.

For a formal night we feel it is suitable to range from a dark suit and tie to a full blown tuxedo for the men and for the woman anything from a nice business style dress to a fancy ball gown. This we feel gives us the freedom to make a choice somewhere between these lines. I personally on my formal nights will wear anything from an evening gown to a cocktail dress. My boyfriend prefers the dark suite with a tie. I honestly believe that if you dont want to dress for the occasion on these formal nights then an alternitive dining arrangment should be made. I am the same, if i don't want to dress up on a formal night I will not go to the main dining room i will go to the buffet or order room service.

I know i will get stick for this from some people but it's just my point.

CK x

Most people look at the suggested dress code in P&O's ship's magazine and the majority dress appropriately. There will always be those people who will do their own thing and completely disregard the suggested code. You can't make anyone do anything but I don't know why some go on these ships just to stick two fingers up at the suggested code. :rolleyes:

dress codes are a thing of the past the sooner they disappear the better,

brillo

Oddly enough, although I am an informal cruiser out of choice I don't agree. I think dress codes should exist as long as people want them. It's lovely to dress up on occasion. It just isn't my preferred choice as I don't like to have to eat my meals to a timetable and want the option of not having to sit through a big dinner every night when sometimes I just want a snack and an early night when my sight-seeing has worn me down to the knees. I suspect I would bee boring company on these nights! However whilst it is incidental to me I realise it is a highlight of the holiday for others

I'm off formal cruising with Fred Olsen on a mini-cruise this weekend - I am happy to have a formal dinner for 3 nights but will then be packing away the evening wear for more informal cruising next month.

My experience of informal cruising is that most people dress smart casual to semi-formal in the evenings anyhow but somehow people equate informal and buffet dining with scruffy and 'can't be bothered' which just isn't the case in my experience.

:confused:I have just rang P O about out cruise on Oceana on13 November, I have been told that there will be formal nights so DH will be taking is Dinner suit:confused:

I expect there will be 4 formal nights. These are usually on each sea day. The first, usually on the second night, is usually the Captain's reception which is very good value with a photo opportunity and a chance to chat with some of the officers. They will all be in white mess undress and very fine too.

Another formal night is the Black and White (or James Bond night) where most men wear black or white and the women ditto.

On two of the formal nights the Plaza had a sefood buffet - sheer bliss - well worth skipping formal dining that night.

:confused:I have just rang P O about out cruise on Oceana on13 November, I have been told that there will be formal nights so DH will be taking is Dinner suit:confused:

There are formal nights on Oceana yes ofcourse . Your confusion seems to be Oceana (and Ventura ) have now dropped SEMI-FORMAL nights.

I have been reading this as i will be going on my first P&O cruise in 5 days and really can't wait. In our household we have had countless arguements about the dress code for formal nights and we personally have come to this conclusion.

For a formal night we feel it is suitable to range from a dark suit and tie to a full blown tuxedo for the men and for the woman anything from a nice business style dress to a fancy ball gown. This we feel gives us the freedom to make a choice somewhere between these lines. I personally on my formal nights will wear anything from an evening gown to a cocktail dress. My boyfriend prefers the dark suite with a tie. I honestly believe that if you dont want to dress for the occasion on these formal nights then an alternitive dining arrangment should be made. I am the same, if i don't want to dress up on a formal night I will not go to the main dining room i will go to the buffet or order room service.

I know i will get stick for this from some people but it's just my point.

CK x

I won't be the one to give you stick CK, far from it, but I feel P&O cloud the waters a little bit when it comes to defining formal dining.

From a strictly gentleman's point of view (I wouldn't be so audacious as to give an opinion regarding what a lady should or shouldn't wear) formal dining should be what it says.

In my book that should not be anything less than dinner suits. Lounge suits should not be acceptable if it is truly formal dining.

Anything less is poor muster - and whilst P&O is essentially a brand of cruising run on British lines (ignoring ownership), whilst there are cosmetic differences, a dinner suit is a dinner suit and a tuxedo is an American (originally, New York) derivation.

dress codes are a thing of the past the sooner they disappear the better,

brillo

I see you are a keen OV cruiser who has done 7 cruises on OV2 and OV1 and do not like P&O after one disappointing cruise on Ventura. Sorry p&o wasn't for you. Just because YOU don't like formal cruising don't assume, they will disappear . Its the casuaL cruise line OV that will be finishing in this part of the world not P&O !

Instead of being annoyed about this popular P&O product with formal nights, why don't you try another cruiseline like NCL or RCI? P&0 is expanding - with Ventura and next year Azura, so plenty of people must like this formal cruiseline.

Just returned from 16 night cruise on Oriana and we had 4 formal nights. We chose P&O because we love dressing, but understand that it is not everyones cup of tea and don't have a problem with it. There were approx 260 children (of varying ages) on board and I think that the majority of them dressed on the formal nights. The young lads looked fabulous in their DJ's as did the young girls, they wore some stunning outfits and made me wish I was young again. They remained dressed for the whole evening and we commented on how wondereful they all looked.

I see you are a keen OV cruiser who has done 7 cruises on OV2 and OV1 and do not like P&O after one disappointing cruise on Ventura. Sorry p&o wasn't for you. Just because YOU don't like formal cruising don't assume, they will disappear . Its the casuaL cruise line OV that will be finishing in this part of the world not P&O !

Instead of being annoyed about this popular P&O product with formal nights, why don't you try another cruiseline like NCL or RCI? P&0 is expanding - with Ventura and next year Azura, so plenty of people must like this formal cruiseline.

LibraLass41 - I have to agree with you. The P&O concept is the very essence of civilised British cruising, long may they reign. It's just a shame their ownership dropped out of UK control.

I hope this will change and P&O will be British owned again one day. I also hope that they do not drop their P&O standards any more.

Similarly OV was a uniquely British product (priced in onboard £s!) - an equally flag-carrying British standard setter, but in a different market.

Aida, a quality German based casual cruising subsidiary has firmly stated that they will not be changing to accommodate non-German cruisers (i.e., homeless OV customers).

I suspect that something will come along to correct the "Ocean Village Mistake" as it will come to be known in "corporate-cruise-land".

NCL, et al, don't quite cut the mustard as I am concerned.

I'm tempted towards Princess only 'cos I want to cruise around the British Isles, loll around and tell all the Americans how wonderful their next port will be - and I love a big steak!!:D

Just thought I'd put my tuppence-worth in.

PS - bring back your previous avatar, I never pictured you as a pussy..

I think you will find that PO will quite rapidly move to a more relaxed style of cruising in order to accomodate ex ov passengers.

The reason for closing ov had nothing to do with the style but more to do with port intensive itineraries and the need for more modern ships

brillo

I honestly dont understand why there is such a hoohaa over dressing up for dinner. I am quite happy to dress up for dinner as i like the idea of feeling formal for a night or two. But it is not like every passanger is forced to dress up for dinner, if for one of the formal nights you dont fancy dressing up you can wear casual and go to the buffet or if you so wish sit naked in your cabin and order room service, your not going to be kicked off the ship if you dont want to dress up. I fully understand not wanting to dress up for a formal night as it is such hassle and can be sometimes very uncomfortable and is not to everyones taste. But that is why they have a choice of many resturants on board. I know it seems that it does segragate the ones who dont want to dress up from those that do, but that is why the choice is there.

I will be going on a b2b on RCL next year and it will be far to many formal nights for me so on thoses nights that i dont fancy it i will end up in the buffet, have room service or end up in another resturant like Johnny Rockets.

CK x

Cruise Kitten - there are two issues here

1. The dress code currently applies to the whole ship including the buffet so casual buffet dining isn't an option. Dining in your room is the only casual option but I wouldn't want to eat in my room. To change this will spoil the ambiance around the ship for many and P and O will not want to alienate their regular cruisers as they seem to have a pretty solid, loyal market at present

2. For some people, myself included, I don't mind dressing up for dinner on occasion but what I don't like is having a set dining time every night and knowing that dinner will take maybe 2 hours out of an evening when I want to be relaxing. I've had some lovely table companions in the past but even so I am often too tired on a night to want to sit through a waiter service dinner every night.

I realise that this form of dining is what makes a cruise special for some folk but when you dine out a lot with work it isn't always what you want on holiday.

History Addict,

1. As far as i am aware the buffet has always beeen for casual dining. It is not part of the formal nights which is why the oppertunity to attend the buffet is always there.

2. The introduction of My Time Dining was introduced for that reason. Some people dont like to be told when they can eat so they opt for the MTD and yes i am fully aware that it is harder for people to be seated if they do choose the MTD.

CK x

Cruise Kitten - there are two issues here

1. The dress code currently applies to the whole ship including the buffet so casual buffet dining isn't an option. Dining in your room is the only casual option but I wouldn't want to eat in my room. To change this will spoil the ambiance around the ship for many and P and O will not want to alienate their regular cruisers as they seem to have a pretty solid, loyal market at present

Actually, on Aurora in July/August it wasn't shipwide - the 'shipwide code' was smart casual;

On formal & semi formal nights, the dress code was required in the 2 main restaurants and 2 of the bars (crows nest and Andersons) - the dress requirements of these bars were clearly signed & they were enforced by the waiters with a quiet word (the times we saw it, it was men being asked to put a jacket or tie back on.)

All other venues, including buffet, alternate dining & various bars were, as far as I know, smart casual.

I can't see the other ships being substantially different:)

Karen

This sounds as though P and O may be relaxing their policy with regards to dress code as previous posts on this forum have always been adamant that dress code applies throughout the whole ship. Excerpt from current P and O website :

In the evenings all restaurants and bars comply with the dress code of the evening.

1. The dress code currently applies to the whole ship including the buffet so casual buffet dining isn't an option.

CK is more correct. P&O certainly expect formality in the restaurant and most public rooms which includes the theatre. Certainly one of the lounges had a notice requiring formal dress which suggested that less formal attire could be worn elsewhere.

The further from the dining room the more relaxed the dress. In the buffet formal dress would be in the minority; after dinner in the theatre maybe 25% of the men adopted more relaxed dress.

However it is really a question of comfort. How would you feel as the only person in OV in a DJ? There was a comment along these lines above. In P&O how would you feel in a beach dress when all the ladies were in ball gowns?

It is never that extreme though as the majority conform to a standard.

I always endeavour to comply with the dress codes of every ship I go on whether formal or casual.

However it seems I have been labouring under a misapprehension about P and O and perhaps their dress code is more relaxed than I had understood. I am sure that I have read elsewhere on this forum that it is more formal than is now being suggested.

I think you will find that PO will quite rapidly move to a more relaxed style of cruising in order to accomodate ex ov passengers.

The reason for closing ov had nothing to do with the style but more to do with port intensive itineraries and the need for more modern ships

brillo

I agree that p&o may accomodate ex OV passengers in 2011 by making one or 2 of their ships less formal perhaps it will be Oceana and Ventura, if only to grab the market left by OV,but don't agree the general comment of ALL the ships being less formal:)

Actually, on Aurora in July/August it wasn't shipwide - the 'shipwide code' was smart casual;

On formal & semi formal nights, the dress code was required in the 2 main restaurants and 2 of the bars (crows nest and Andersons) - the dress requirements of these bars were clearly signed & they were enforced by the waiters with a quiet word (the times we saw it, it was men being asked to put a jacket or tie back on.)

All other venues, including buffet, alternate dining & various bars were, as far as I know, smart casual.

I can't see the other ships being substantially different:)

Karen

So they are smart casual "as far as I know" which means you do not know.

I repeat as it says on page 35 of the latest brochure "all of the ship all of the night"

I still do not understand all the discussion. In all of our cruises I have only ever seen a handfull of people npt following the code on a formal night.

This is not going to change whatever the ex OV cruisers want.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I took the liberty last night to call P&O to try and clear this up. I stated that i was due on Ventura soon and that i was wondering if on a formal night if i didn't wish to attend the main dining room for dinner and decided instead that the self service was for me would i still have to dress formally or could i wear smart casual?

To which i gained the reply "No you must wear formal no matter where you dine on formal night" i insisted that it was completely rediculous that such a thing was inforced and how stupid would i look in a cocktail dress with a plactic tray and using a buffet! The young lady then turned and said "unfortnatly these are the rules" to which i then asked "have you been on a cruise with P&O?"

The reply "No as i dont agree with the rule that you are questioning"

I have decided that this cruise on P&O Ventura will be my one and only cruise with P&O. I like the idea of dressing up for dinner but i like the freedom to opt out of these formal nights if i so wish and i feel i can only get this with RCCL.

CK x

Hi Cruise Kitten, on Karen's post 41 she states that the shipwide code for the Aurora on the July/August Cruise was Smart Casual, and on formal nights Smart Casual was okay for buffet dining and on a few selected bars. I would much rather rely on somebody who as sailed recently for advice than a person who even though works for P/O as never sailed with them. Ventura is the most informal of the P/O fleet, and as the most relaxed Dresswear code of the lot. On the Captains welcome aboard " Do " I saw a male passenger in shorts and vest. The next thing you have to consider is what's smart casual, but as I say the Ventura as a very relaxed Dresswear policy.

Archived