how to choose a cruise?

new2crusng

I have only been on one cruise (Grand Princess, may 2000, Caribbean), and my new husband and I are looking to take one together in the Mediterranean next year. We had selected the Celebrity Equinox, after looking at DOZENS of reviews, cruise lines, etc. gave ourselves a couple of weeks to think it over, went online to book it yesterday, and all sailings with a similar itinerary on the Equinox for next summer are SOLD OUT! :(

I had my heart set on Celebrity after what I had read and seen online, and also on 3 particular ports of call (Athens, Venice, and French Riviera). So I am now torn about what to do next...do I go with the Crown or Ruby Princess and visit the same ports, do I go with Celebrity and sacrifice some of my ports? Do I do something else entirely? I have no idea how they compare, as I am very inexperienced at this. My original intention was Concierge Class with a balcony for $2499 each. I am so heartbroken that the one I had so carefully chosen is no longer attainable, and that everything else I found will cost at least another $1000 or more! I hate to spend more money on something that I am not as happy about. Any advice would be much appreciated! Help!:confused:

It is also worth pointing out that if I do go with the Crown or Ruby Princess, that I have cruised with Princess once before a LONG time ago, and I may be eligible for perks for that, if that has any bearing on which one I decide to do.

It's not surprising that a brand new ship like the Equinox would sell out so quickly. The Maiden voyage for Cunard's new Queen Elizabeth sold out in twenty-seven minutes. Have you tried looking for your cruise at other online cruise agencies? Sometimes these agents book dozens of cabins for a particular cruise, it's worth checking out.

Have you looked into Holland America Line at all? They usually feature several ships in the Mediterranean. The Noordam is a gorgeous ship and typically does 10 and 12 day voyages from Rome. HAL prices are usually very reasonable.

You might look into the QM2 out of Southampton. The prices here are a bit steeper but, the Queen Mary 2 is a stunning, elegant liner and you will have a fabulous voyage.

Good Luck.

Jonathan

In the end, it's personal preference. How much time do your have? What itinerary do you want? What's your budget? When do you want to cruise? Only you can answer those questions and those answers help you select your cruise.

Thanks a bunch, Jonathan! I will look into the Cunard and also see if the Equinox has any other places I can book. I did check on HAL, as I have heard good things about it, but they don't seem to have any that go to all 3 of the ports that we wanted for next summer.

I also maybe should say that I am only 30 years old, and we would be cruising as a couple with no kids, if that has any bearing on which line might "suit" us best.

Thanks a bunch, Jonathan! I will look into the Cunard and also see if the Equinox has any other places I can book. I did check on HAL, as I have heard good things about it, but they don't seem to have any that go to all 3 of the ports that we wanted for next summer.

I also maybe should say that I am only 30 years old, and we would be cruising as a couple with no kids, if that has any bearing on which line might "suit" us best.

Your Welcome. Age doesn't matter aboard Holland America, you will encounter people of all ages aboard their ships, the same with Cunard, especially in the Mediterranean. My wife and I have cruised both lines and met the most wonderful people many of whom we have kept in touch with.

It depends on your lifestyle do you like a very active, party type of vacation? If so you might look into Royal Caribbean or NCL. We have not sailed either line, they are both popular though. Since you started with Celebrity, I mentioned both HAL and Cunard because they too are elegant ships with beautiful interiors.

What were the ports you wanted to visit?

Jonathan

It depends on your lifestyle do you like a very active, party type of vacation? If so you might look into Royal Caribbean or NCL. We have not sailed either line, they are both popular though. Since you started with Celebrity, I mentioned both HAL and Cunard because they too are elegant ships with beautiful interiors.

What were the ports you wanted to visit?

Jonathan

We actually started by selecting HAL for a summer 2009 cruise, but this economic situation threw us for a loop, and we had to postpone to next year.Unfortunately, HAL is not offering the same itinerary next year we had been looking at for 2009, which then brought us to choosing Celebrity.

We're more low-key, not big party types really. Prefer lounging about with a good book, taking in a show, going for long walks at our various ports, maybe a couples' spa thing, etc.

The ports that we really, really want are Venice, Athens, and somewhere in the French Riviera (Monte Carlo, St. Tropez, Nice, it doesn't really matter which).

Well, I made a call to Celebrity, and lo and behold, I have some new information: the Equinox Itenary I wanted was NOT sold out-- it was changed to a different one alltogether! Instead, the person I talked to suggested either the Azamara Quest or RCCL Brilliance. Anyone have a preference between these 2 or the Ruby Princess?

Archived