ferry/hydrofoil from Naples - how is the view?

We are planning to take a hydrofoil or ferry from Naples to either Positano or Amalfi. I want to see the Amalfi coast, but I know I would not be able to handle the Amalfi drive - I would be so scared I would probably have to keep my eyes closed the whole time :rolleyes: How near the coast do these boats get? Will there be anything good to look at during the journey? Thanks!

annabanana, the hydrofoil ferries from Naples do not hug the coast as the local ferries, fisherman and private boats do - they go into the shipping channel which is kind of close but you will need a good zoom lens on your camera to take pics of the coast! :)

We took the ferry (not the hydrofoil) that all the locals use to get back and forth from Sorrento to Naples (after a full day on the driving the Amalfi coast). It was closer to the shore than the hydrofoils and larger ferries get but still a ways off. You will not get the views you are looking for this way. It was interesting to see the coastline we had just driven and had a wonderful sunset but nothing spectacular like the drive.

I must say the views driving are the most beautiful I've seen. I have definately been on worse roads as far as the "scare" factor...... we used APTours and had a nice new shiny van (much better than the big buses) and our driver was great. He was born and raised in the area and has driven these roads all his life.......knows what he is doing..... so if you think of it that way it is easier to do the "drive".

There are public water boats that operate between Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi that have spectacular views from the water approaching the villages. Having had the opportunity to do the drive and see the views from the water (ground stay on the coast), I have to say that I think the views from the boats are just as good if not better than the drive.

Donna

Archived