Now What to Do about the Vampires??

vang52

Got your attention, didn't it? Of course I am refering to those wonderful paragons of pests we call Skeeters here in the sunny south. Looks like we have narrowed down the mosquito repellants to three: Off! Deep Woods Wipes, Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Spray, and Off! Botanical Lotion.

Brings up two questions:

1) Will the bugs be bad around the third week of June [Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan]?

2) If so, can any of you attest to the effectiveness of any of the above or offer a different solution that worked for you?

The newbie again offers his thanks.

Steve

Got your attention, didn't it? Of course I am refering to those wonderful paragons of pests we call Skeeters here in the sunny south. Looks like we have narrowed down the mosquito repellants to three: Off! Deep Woods Wipes, Repel Lemon Eucalyptus Spray, and Off! Botanical Lotion.

Brings up two questions:

1) Will the bugs be bad around the third week of June [Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan]?

2) If so, can any of you attest to the effectiveness of any of the above or offer a different solution that worked for you?

The newbie again offers his thanks.

Steve

Avon's Skin So Soft - best insect repellant ever made...been using it for years...the lotion worked so good, they actually market it as a repellent now...

We've been twice, in early July and mid-August, and have never had a problem in any of our ports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Skagway). I've read on these boards before that the problem is worse inland, but I can't speak to that myself. Hopefully a local or more experienced traveler will chime in. We did bring Deep Woods Off! moist towelettes for the convenience of carrying them, but never had a need to use them.

Someone is now marketing a gadget that you attach to your belt and it has some sort of motor(it needs batteries, I think) and a repellant. Saw it in a magazine and now in my grocery store.Means you don't have to put repellant all over your body. I'd love for a review from someone use has tried it. Maybe I'll try it while mowing my back yard. I will be on a cruise tour (going inland all the way up to Prudhoe Bay then head south to Fairbanks and Denali) so I am worried about the "State Bird."

We've been twice, in early July and mid-August, and have never had a problem in any of our ports (Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Skagway). I've read on these boards before that the problem is worse inland, but I can't speak to that myself. Hopefully a local or more experienced traveler will chime in. We did bring Deep Woods Off! moist towelettes for the convenience of carrying them, but never had a need to use them.

Interesting...... From what I have heard you'd think you REALLY needed to be prepared. I've tried the Avon stuff and I guess my skin chemistry is just not exactly right or we have bugs here that love it as a condiment to go with my O+:rolleyes: It didn't work worth a diddly and I figured the humming birds they call skeeters up there might need the "good" stuff regardless of how bad we "stank up the place"!!:o

Anyone with more details?????

The famous Alaskan moosequitoes have never bothered us. Since the ports are (DUH) by the ocean, there is usually a pretty good breeze which will blow the skeeters away. Even crossing over into the Yukon to Caribou Crossing, we really did not see them.

On an inland trip they are supposed to be worse ... we will be going in August so we will see!

We spent 2 weeks in Alaska last July. One week independent land travel and one week cruising. The only place where we encountered mosquitos was at Wonder Lake in Denali. They were UNBELIEVABLE!!:eek::eek: They were swarming. The shuttle bus driver had a head net. We had something called Jungle Juice which we purchased from REI. It was fairly effective but very oily. Even when we got back on the bus we didn't get relief until we had driven some distance away from the lake since they flew into the bus through open windows and the door.

However, no where else were they a problem. Certainly not in the ports.

We spent 2 weeks in Alaska last July. One week independent land travel and one week cruising. The only place where we encountered mosquitos was at Wonder Lake in Denali. They were UNBELIEVABLE!!:eek::eek: They were swarming. The shuttle bus driver had a head net. We had something called Jungle Juice which we purchased from REI. It was fairly effective but very oily. Even when we got back on the bus we didn't get relief until we had driven some distance away from the lake since they flew into the bus through open windows and the door.

However, no where else were they a problem. Certainly not in the ports.

Interesting. The only Jungle Juice I've ever had went down the old gullet and tasted mighty good! Although I'm sure were talking two different things here, I hope!!

Your right -- Wonder Lake is well known for its mosquito population. We're hoping to avoid them by only going as far as Eielson.

Used the wipes once while golfing. They made my hands sticky and the next time I picked up my scoring pencil it got sticky too. It was like it softened the paint on the pencil. I like the really fine sprays. The higher the DEET level the happier you will be. Mosquitoes LOVE me. Even if there aren't any in the state, one will find me, so I'm going prepared.

...is outstanding! High level of Deet. But pleasant pine scent and it lasts 8 hours.

Tested by us in Algonquin Park, Ontario and Acadia, ME. We could hear them and see them, but they would not land.

Ahh - the Cullen Clan!

I did hear that they were filming the second New Moon the second "Twilight" Movie near Vancouver this summer! Though I doubt I will stumble across Edward during my brief pre-cruise stay in Vancouver! But a gal can dream ....right?

We used to spend our summers at the family beach house on Mobile Bay, (Alabama) when I was younger. I would get bit so bad, my mom would count the squito bites as she dabed Calydryl on them. Lets just say - she stopped counting and started crying for me after 100.

I'm packing protection.

Intrested in hearing how the new Off fan thingy works for anyone.

Hubby has sensitive skin, so he can't use any type of bug spray, I have bought 2 of those. They are on sale at WalMart for 6.88, and last week there was a coupon in the paper for 2 dollars off, got 2 coupons so bought 2 units for 4.88 each :)

I will report how they work.

Cathy

Didn't see a skeeter on our entire trip, but it might be early for them.

We worked in some really horrible skeeter infected places with Hurrican Dolly and Hurricane Ike. I have found the Deep Woods Off with deet was the only thing that would keep them off my exposed arms. Glad we didn't have to wear it in Alaska..

Avon's Skin So Soft - best insect repellant ever made...been using it for years...the lotion worked so good, they actually market it as a repellent now...

Does the lotion work as well as the original oil?

I used SKIN SO SOFT with sun screen 30 in a lotion while in the Amazon for 2 weeks- EVERY day and after EVERY bath and NEVER got a mark....They have mosquitoes AND sand flies. The last day when I didn't want to have that greased up feel for the flight back.....WOW did I get marked so bad the boarding inspector pulled me aside as if I had some catching disease!!!!!!! So SKIN SO SOFT has my vote. Plus we live in Central Florida the swamp capital of the US....close enought to the everglades without the heat--HA!!!

Ahh - the Cullen Clan!

I did hear that they were filming the second New Moon the second "Twilight" Movie near Vancouver this summer! Though I doubt I will stumble across Edward during my brief pre-cruise stay in Vancouver! But a gal can dream ....right?

Sorry to burst your bubble but they are filming in Italy right now. I think they are done in Vancouver already.

We were in Alaska the 3rd week of June, 2008. Of all of our stops (Juneau, Skagway- drove up to Emerald Lake, Icy Strait Point) the only place we saw mosquitoes was on the nature trail in Icy Strait Point. They were huge! Our daughter has major allergic reactions to mosquitoes- so we got off the trail and walked into Hoonah- never saw another mosquito. This was mid-morning.

I was expecting to see them while zip-lining in Juneau- we were in the forest- but didn't see any then at all. If there were any around- they would have been swarming hubby and daughter- they are mosquito magnets!

-JC in CA

Just looked at Avons website, there is more than 1 kind of so skin so soft, which one do I need to buy??

We've always used the Original Scent spray and oil. Not sure how any of the others work. Interesting that they've started making it as a bug repellent/sunscreen now. Might have to try it. - some of the varieties are b1g1 for $0.99.

Getting a new catalog tomorrow at work :) .

I too got suckered in by the thoughts of Edward... my 12 year old daughter is obsessed!

But I'm also hugely allergic to those nasty skeeters and can also vouch for Ultrathon. My ankles are already covered in bites from a couple of evenings outside with bare skin. Last night I pulled out the Ultrathon and nary a new bite.

Archived