My Daughter Doesn't Like To Cruise!!

jbroons

I think I saw your kids on a cruise years ago. They were pushing elevator buttons for every floor. I know , I know you had a talk and the kids voted that pushing elevator buttons was fun so they got to push buttons. How sweet of you to take a family vote on pushing elevator buttons. ;) It sounds like whatever the kids want to do for vacation they get. Gee it is wonder why kids today are so spoiled and have no manners. NOT ALL kids. When you have parents acting as friends is there a wonder why so many threads on kids misbehaving on cruises.

:eek::eek::eek:

I think I saw your kids on a cruise years ago. They were pushing elevator buttons for every floor. I know , I know you had a talk and the kids voted that pushing elevator buttons was fun so they got to push buttons. How sweet of you to take a family vote on pushing elevator buttons. ;) It sounds like whatever the kids want to do for vacation they get. Gee it is wonder why kids today are so spoiled and have no manners. NOT ALL kids. When you have parents acting as friends is there a wonder why so many threads on kids misbehaving on cruises. :eek:

yep, only took 5 pages before we delved deep into the psychosis of parenting 101, looks like this thread will be getting real good right about now.:D

I think I saw your kids on a cruise years ago. They were pushing elevator buttons for every floor. I know , I know you had a talk and the kids voted that pushing elevator buttons was fun so they got to push buttons. How sweet of you to take a family vote on pushing elevator buttons. ;) It sounds like whatever the kids want to do for vacation they get. Gee it is wonder why kids today are so spoiled and have no manners. NOT ALL kids. When you have parents acting as friends is there a wonder why so many threads on kids misbehaving on cruises. :eek:

Where on earth did this person say they allow their kids to misbehave, push elevator buttons, or that what their kids say goes????

They said they ask their kids for input with decideing a family vacation. They even stated that the kids don't have the final say, but their ideas are appreciated and respected.

Don't put words in peoples mouths , or posts as the case may be

On Freedom recently, all the elevator buttons were pushed probably ten times....seemed like whenever we got in the elevator!! My daughters' actually thought that it was obnoxious....even the jerk Shannon that doesn't like to cruise:D...Oh, it just struck me...maybe that's why she doesn't like to cruise!!!

On Freedom recently, all the elevator buttons were pushed probably ten times....seemed like whenever we got in the elevator!! My daughters' actually thought that it was obnoxious....even the jerk Shannon that doesn't like to cruise:D...Oh, it just struck me...maybe that's why she doesn't like to cruise!!!

LOL, I think you've gotten to the bottom of this.:p She was spending too much time in the elevator and not enought time experiencing things. Problem solved--next time you can just take the stairs!

Here's a spoiled brat for you. Summer, 1977...I was 15. This was the "Summer of Sam" and the NYC Blackout....as well as the Yankees' debacle. Anyway, I have my first real girlfriend...Martha Morningstar (not kidding)..intense beginning of the relationship. So a week later my Mom says "We're going to Martha's Vineyard for the summer". Now instead of appreciating how wonderful this opportunity, or "experience" was I flipped out over the girl...after all, I was truly "smitten";)

So, maybe being spoiled is in my daughter's genes!!

So you are saying that at 17 she isn't allowed to have an opinion on whether or not she enjoys something, that she did experience, just because of her age? My oldest is 15 and my youngest is 12. I would still listen to whether or not they enjoyed something, that they experienced, and keep that in mind when planning something that involved them. I allow them to have an opinion and I will respect that opinion. If they had not tried it yet is another story. They can't tell me they don't like it when they haven't tried it. But if they tried it and don't like it why force them to try it again. I'll respect their opinion and I'll go without them if I really wanted to go there. Then we are both happy.

One thing I should add is that my girls' asked for the cruise...I had never cruised before so that's why WE decided to do it. Now knowing what I know, I wouldn't force Shannon to go on another cruise....ever.

I had reservations for the Supper Club on Freedom...Sun King Restaurant. When she read that it could be "a 2 1/2 hour dining experience", I saw the look in her eyes:eek: and cancelled the reservation. I will no longer waste money to "experience" something that they won't enjoy.

Just checking in. Daughter is STILL sleeping in....Thank goodness that we have no port excursions today!!!;)

When she awakes I am giving her a fake ticket to a 21-day cruise to the middle east...hehe!!:D

My kids are not the ones that you see pushing the buttons on the elevator or running and screaming in the dining room. I have had many compliments from strangers and their teachers on their behavior. Please do not judge my children without knowing them. They are both straight A students and active in sports. I respect them and they respect me. I set rules (and I do set rules) and they follow them. I rarely have to discipline them because they rarely get in trouble by me and never by anyone else. My kids may be spoiled but they do have manners and know how to and do use them. Just because we all agree on where to go on a family vacation and we all make compromises until we are all happy with it does not mean I have undisciplined and unmannered children. They do not get to go where ever they want but they do have a say in what we do. My daughter does not like going to sporting events and my son does not like going to the theater but they both agree to go when we make compromises to include other things in the trip that they do enjoy. Its not a dictatorship in our family, it is a democracy. It works well for us. But don't slam my children because I respect and listen to their opinions.

One thing I should add is that my girls' asked for the cruise...I had never cruised before so that's why WE decided to do it. Now knowing what I know, I wouldn't force Shannon to go on another cruise....ever.

I had reservations for the Supper Club on Freedom...Sun King Restaurant. When she read that it could be "a 2 1/2 hour dining experience", I saw the look in her eyes:eek: and cancelled the reservation. I will no longer waste money to "experience" something that they won't enjoy.

Exactly what I am saying. Once they experienced it and don't like it why waste money on something you know they won't enjoy and make everyone unhappy.

Exactly what I am saying. Once they experienced it and don't like it why waste money on something you know they won't enjoy and make everyone unhappy.

I totally agree. I think some parents try too hard to please....and I too am guilty of that!!

My 17 yr old has been on 7 cruises and politely declined an invitation from me and her Dad to go on another one,just recently on May 21. I was shocked! But then I thought Hey, some "mom and dad time" COOL!!!

So we left her at home and had a neighbor look after her.

She will be 18 in Nov, just in time for our NYE cruise..she is super excited about that.

I went on my first cruise when I was 17 as a HS grad present to myself, lol. The other friends with me were 16-18. It was hard to have fun on the ship. I was really too old for the "teen club" and I was too young for the "18 and up lounges" (even tho me and my friends went anyway.) We went on an older ship on RCCL. My friend's parents were our "guardians" and have given us the choice of Carnival or RCCL and I wish now that I had chosen Carnival.

It's just her age. Maybe she is more mature for her age and feels the activities onboard for age group are beneath her. Maybe you should let her take a vacay with a friend's family and see how that goes. Bring her back to cruising when she is in her twenties and see if she has changed her mind.

I totally agree. I think some parents try too hard to please....and I too am guilty of that!!

And I think some parents (not you) just can't accept that their kids don't want to be around them 24/7, that their kids have differing opinions, and that their kids don't like the same things they like.

Hello,

I can relate to your dilemma, because the same thing happened to us with our oldest son. We cruised on the Freedom of the Seas in April of 2008, and our son was 16 years old at the time. He was too young for the club scene, and too old for kid's club activities, and he didn't get in with any other kids on the ship. He mostly hung out with us, did the florider, and hung out in the pool with his younger sister. He had an "OK" time, but when we began planning our cruise for next year, he flat out said he didn't want to go, as a matter of fact, he said "Cruise's S*#&". I wasn't put off by it at all, it's not something he likes.

So... luckily, he is off to college this fall, and our next cruise is planned around my other children's school break, not his college break. Just to make sure, I asked him if he cared if we went on vacation without him, he was totally fine with it. My other son, who will be 16 next spring, LOVED cruising, and we never even saw him much on our Freedom cruise!

My advice would be to let her stay home, (with relatives, or a at a friend's house) and don't make a big deal of it. Cruising is not for everyone, AND may I add, it doesn't mean she is spoiled or ungreatful!!

And I think some parents (not you) just can't accept that their kids don't want to be around them 24/7, that their kids have differing opinions, and that their kids don't like the same things they like.

Wait a minute, so you're saying that two daughters 15 & 17 don't want to be around their Dad 24/7.....and that they don't like the same things I do??? OMG, I never thought of it that way;).

No, I understand. But the girls definitely have their space...too much space in fact. It just breaks my heart a little when the few times we actually do spend together aren't appreciated. When Shannon said she doesn't want to ride roller coasters anymore (she loves them and we had so many great times @ six flags, etc.,) I realized what you said above. Thanks cat!

Hi, just wanted to throw out my suggestion. (Am preparing to be flamed since it seems you don't have to do or say anything offensive to get flamed!LOL)

1. If your first cruise was a 7 day ask your daughter if she would be willing to do a 3 day with you and her sister! Just keep it a surprise for little sis but let Shannon in on it!

2. Since it is such a great cruisin' opportunity when you will be on vacation if she doesn't even want to do the 3 day you could use her fare $ to purchase her a flight home where friends could pick her up till you and little sis got home.

I know everyone's situation is different but these may be some ideas to work with. I am in my late 20's, LOVE to cruise, and thankfully my kids do, too! (started them out young!LOL)

Archived