Parking in Baltimore

My family and I will be driving from Pittsburgh to Baltimore next week to sail on the Pride; there are 9 of us in 3 cars. I have read in some posts that it could take over an hour to get into the parking lot. Is this true? We have VIP boarding, but our drive will take 4.5 hours. What time should we arrive? Thanks for any help you can provide. Sherry

I've sailed from Baltimore 3 times and have had no problems getting into the parking lot. The port is right off I-95. Can't imagine why it would take an hour. We usually get there around 10 a.m.

I've sailed from Baltimore 3 times and have had no problems getting into the parking lot. The port is right off I-95. Can't imagine why it would take an hour. We usually get there around 10 a.m.

I can't imagine Bal'more having an hour back up. I can see NYC having one, especially with the port being right off the West Side Highway and NYC being a mess to drive in.

We're driving from Toronto. No need to arrive before 12:30 and even then they don't seem to board until 1:30 or 2:00.

I haven't read anything about problems with parking.

Sheila

I believe that boarding backup was only on Carnival Pride's inaugural sailing from Baltimore. The Governor of Maryland, Baltimore Port officials and others were aboard for some kind of ceremony and presentation. If I am not mistaken [and I admit that sometimes I am] that caused the delay in boarding.

I drove between the two cities numerous times when I lived and worked in Toronto [2003 - 2007]. It usually took me about nine hours. I ordinarily did not use Interstate 81. I left the NY Thruway around Rochester and headed south towards Corning. Then I used US 15 through Pennsylvania to Harrisburg where I picked up the Baltimore-Harrisburg Expressway [interstate 83] to the Baltimore Beltway [i 695]. You have to go about halfway around the Beltway at that point to get to the Cruise Terminal off I-95.

When I didn't drive I used Air Canada Jazz and loved it; small 35 passenger turboprop took about an hour and twenty minutes.

From the Cruise Maryland website:

We make it easy for you: no advance reservations are required to park in our secured lot located next to the Cruise Maryland Terminal. Our long-term parking lot, which includes handicap parking spaces, is located within walking distance of the Passenger Building. Parking fees are payable upon arrival by credit card, cash or travelers check. We accept Visa, MasterCard & American Express.

Passenger Vehicles and SUV's - $15.00 per day

Recreational Vehicles - $30.00 per day

Busses - $40.00 per day

Upon arrival, passengers will be directed to drop off their luggage in the appropriate luggage boxes for screening and handling. Please have your cruise line issued luggage tags completed and attached to your bags. If you do not have tags, upon entry to the terminal, visit the tent marked "Cruise Luggage Tags" (located on your left as you enter) to receive your tags.

After dropping off your luggage, you will then proceed to our long-term parking lot.

I believe that boarding backup was only on Carnival Pride's inaugural sailing from Baltimore. The Governor of Maryland, Baltimore Port officials and others were aboard for some kind of ceremony and presentation. If I am not mistaken [and I admit that sometimes I am] that caused the delay in boarding.

I drove between the two cities numerous times when I lived and worked in Toronto [2003 - 2007]. It usually took me about nine hours. I ordinarily did not use Interstate 81. I left the NY Thruway around Rochester and headed south towards Corning. Then I used US 15 through Pennsylvania to Harrisburg where I picked up the Baltimore-Harrisburg Expressway [interstate 83] to the Baltimore Beltway [i 695]. You have to go about halfway around the Beltway at that point to get to the Cruise Terminal off I-95.

When I didn't drive I used Air Canada Jazz and loved it; small 35 passenger turboprop took about an hour and twenty minutes.

Those are similar directions to what I got off google maps, except it had me taking Aurora Expressway east, then onto state road 20, then onto 390 south of Geneseo. Mapquest sends me onto 90 west, and south on 79 to 376 to 70 into Baltimore. Shows a little longer distance but says shorter time. This is the route we took to Washington back in high school, and also the route my father in law's Garmin sends us to our hotel by BWI. Interesting, when I type in the port address, it sends me the way you are talking about.

DanJ,

I live in the Maryland suburbs of Washington now, and would probably use the route the Garmin is suggesting to get here. I was on both I -70 and 270 earlier today. But you play Russian Roulette on the Capital Beltway. Today it worked; yesterday was a disaster. It can be like the QEW at times.

I have a friend who drives here from Albany. Instead of starting west and connecting to 81 near Binghamtom or Syracuse, he goes east to pick up I-95 in northern New Jersey. To each his own.

From the Cruise Maryland website:

We make it easy for you: no advance reservations are required to park in our secured lot located next to the Cruise Maryland Terminal. Our long-term parking lot, which includes handicap parking spaces, is located within walking distance of the Passenger Building. Parking fees are payable upon arrival by credit card, cash or travelers check. We accept Visa, MasterCard & American Express.

Passenger Vehicles and SUV's - $15.00 per day

Recreational Vehicles - $30.00 per day

Busses - $40.00 per day

Upon arrival, passengers will be directed to drop off their luggage in the appropriate luggage boxes for screening and handling. Please have your cruise line issued luggage tags completed and attached to your bags. If you do not have tags, upon entry to the terminal, visit the tent marked "Cruise Luggage Tags" (located on your left as you enter) to receive your tags.

After dropping off your luggage, you will then proceed to our long-term parking lot.

If you are looking to save money, I would drive all 3 cars to the pier, drop off all luggage and all passengers, then drive the 3 cars to BWI Airport Long term parking at $8 per day per car. Catch a taxi or super shuttle to the pier and do the reverse when the cruise ends. Add about an hour each way for this. Another option is to rent one or two mini-vans or SUV's one-way each, this should cut it down to 2 cars

Archived