Time it takes for Saxmon & Totem Bight

Manzy154

my wife and I would like to tour Totem Bight without a guide. If anyone has done this could you offer an approx. length of time, not including travel to or from? Also do you have to use a guide at Saxmon and how long is that tour?

my wife and I would like to tour Totem Bight without a guide. If anyone has done this could you offer an approx. length of time, not including travel to or from? Also do you have to use a guide at Saxmon and how long is that tour?

Hubby and I did Totem Bight for the second time with my inlaws (for their first time) a couple of weeks ago -- didn't want to wait for a 'tour' so hopped a city bus to the park -- about 25 minutes and FREE (at the time -- if not, it's only a buck one-way). We did the park self-guided and were on the bus in under an hour, but hubby and I both swear it seemed like it took longer when we did it with a tour guide off the dock three years ago. You do NOT have to use a guide at Saxman, in theory -- but be advised that there's a 'pecking order' when it comes to spend time in the 'carving hut' -- the pre-paid cruisetours get first precedence over the 'off the dock' tours, and who knows where the 'self-guided' folks end up after that. Whatever you do, enjoy -- Ketchikan has a lot of hidden gems if you know where to look!

[-- Ketchikan has a lot of hidden gems if you know where to look!

nodumblond,

Any other hidden gems you could share?? (Also visiting Juneau and Skagway).

Archived