Whale Watching in October?

Im going on a New England/Canada cruise in early October for the fall colors, but would like to do a little whale watching. From what I am reading, that is just past the end of season...is it worth it to even try to book an excursion? I know a few places still have tours then but Id rather not waste a day by seeing no whales. Any advice??

From what i've seen on an whale watching excursion website, the excursions are from may to october so you should be correct. You know even in the high season, you're not guaranteed to see some whales. It really depends on luck (or bad luck), just like african safaris i suppose. You're not guaranteed to see lions. But if they have excursions scheduled in october it's because there are good chances of seeing some. And since it's the last month, i'll book in advance.

http://www.croisieres2001.com/horairea.html

• 3 months later...

Cruiseman: Did you find an answer to your question? I am wondering the same thing, only for late October. Want to go if there are plenty of active whales/ don't want to go if there are not. Haven't had the best luck searching the internet, so would love to hear what you've learned, if anything...

If you go to Tripadvisor and do a search on the Nova Scotia forum you will see plenty about whale watching. The largest whales in the Bay of Fundy will have headed south, but there will be whales off the coast of Cape Breton. last October (third week) we were hiking the Skyline trail which is in the National Park just north of Cheticamp on the Cabot Trail. We could see pilot whales in the ocean below. Pilot whales are really small porpoises but they are a lot of fun to see when whale watching because they will follow your boat and dive under you. There are whale watching companies operating from Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay in Cape Breton.

• 3 weeks later...
If you go to Tripadvisor and do a search on the Nova Scotia forum you will see plenty about whale watching. The largest whales in the Bay of Fundy will have headed south, but there will be whales off the coast of Cape Breton. last October (third week) we were hiking the Skyline trail which is in the National Park just north of Cheticamp on the Cabot Trail. We could see pilot whales in the ocean below. Pilot whales are really small porpoises but they are a lot of fun to see when whale watching because they will follow your boat and dive under you. There are whale watching companies operating from Cheticamp and Pleasant Bay in Cape Breton.

Thanks.

Archived