Princendam August 9th Berlin Tour

ewynn07

We are considering the Holland America tour "Berlin Overview & Time on Your Own" which includes the private train (Sunday August 9th). Have you done this tour or have any info regarding it ???? Good and Bad!

Thank you, Bill & Nancy

We did a similar tour way back in 1999 when we were on the Maasdam. We docked at Warrnemunde and a private train was waiting for us. There were 900 cruisers who had booked tours of Berlin, so we all set off around 7-7.30am and arrived into East Berlin around 11.15am.

From there, we were sorted into the various individual tours and groups and off we went. We all boarded the train around 5.30-6pm for the return journey (if my memory serves me correctly) and we returned to the ship around 9pm.

When we alighted from the train, we saw the Captain and a number of Officers waiting at the gangplank to welcome us on board. The Captain shook everyone's hand and welcomed us back which I thought was amazing. We were given boxes of food to eat both on the way to Berlin and then on return journey back to the ship.

It was a memorable day, though very long as it was August and it was hot and humid in Berlin.

Jennie

Thanks for the info....it was very helpful. I'm sure they are still doing the tours the same way. I'm sure it will be hot this August too. We were on the Maasdam last year...she's been refurbished and looks great. Appreciate your reply~~Nancy

We are doing this tour on the Eurodam June 13th. I will let you know how it goes. I picked it hoping it will give us a little of everything we want - the train trip, a overview tour and the opportunity to do a few things on our own. We'll see. There is so little time in Berlin that most of the tours appear to simply 'drive-by' the major attractions.

Thanks Debbie for the info.... we felt this tour would give us a good overview and felt the train would be better then the long ride on the bus. I'll be anixous to hear from you....think you picked a better time to travel....June should be a lot cooler. Enjoy~~~Nancy

My wife and I will be on the same cruise beginning 8/7. We are also going to Berlin. At this point, we are not sure which tour to take, although we are leaning toward the one you are taking. Unfortunately, it is a Sunday so most of the shops will be closed.

Do you know if most restaurants will accept an American Express card? The HAL shore excursion booklet states that you must have euros to buy food.

See you on the cruise.

I do know that in Europe a Visa card is more acceptable than an Amex so if you are not inclined to have some Euros on you which I would definitely have anyway, for the purchasing of small items such as postcards, drinks etc. I would definitely have an Visa or Mastercard in my wallet.

Jennie

Hi Steve....Not sure if ALL the stores will be closed in Berlin. Sorry not sure if the restaurants will accept an American Express card or not. We like to use a credit card as much as possible....especially American Express. We probably will get a few euros but, somehow Bill and I end a cruise with a handful of foreign money.But does help with a majority of the countries using euros. Wish the American dollar was worth more...not a good exchange rate.!!!

I think the Berlin tour via the train is the best for us....maybe will see you on the train.

Have you heard anything about a CC group? Will be fun to match a name to a face~~~Nancy & Bill

Hi Jennie...thanks for the helpful info. Guess we better get some euros just in case we can't use our credit cards. Never know when we might find a "sale"...Sunday or not!

Nancy

In general, shops are closed on Sundays in Berlin.

The exceptions are conveniance stores, fuel station marts and some bakeries in the morrning. There may be a tourist shop here and there, usually near the train station and airport, and if so, the tour operator will likely sniff them out.

Warnemunde is a quaint village and some resturants and cafes will be open as a lot of locals come to visit the seaside and nearby beaches. There will be a reasonable amount of foot traffic in the village.

Ewynn07---I am not sure about a CC group. I have been on the Roll Call link and there are several others going on this cruise. I'm not certain if there is anything definite.

I personally am very much looking forward to St Petersburg. I had visited a number of years ago when it was still Leningrad so it will be interesting to note some differences. Have a good trip. My wife, Denise, and I are using HAL's flight arrangements so will be leaving the day before from Phoenix.

Archived