looking for ideas on toys to pack

mtslone

We have done 4 cruises, but only with our oldest being with us (she started at 2 and is now six years old). This year we will be cruising wtih 2 kids, our oldest who is six, and our youngest, who is two. We will also be going with another family wtih a six year old.

I am trying to come up with some clever ideas on what I should bring for the downtime to keep them (especially little one) entertained. Any great lessons learned from anyone on the boards, of items to pack or buy for the kids?

Thanks

What ship?

We just got off X, and they had a toddler room with plenty of toys to keep him happy. We could even bring them back to the room. (DS is 2)

For the airplane I brought post its, a huge sticker book and a DVD player. (left ALL of our movies in the carrying case in the seat back pocket on the flight home.. ARGH!!!!)

For him, having a few of his favorite stuffed animals in his crib was really important, andhelped the transition.

I also bought some other items off Amazon- stringing beads, small magnadoodle, small aqua doodle, and some books.

Had way too much stuff, but better overpacked than underpacked.

I am flying with my 2-year-old next month and have been asking the same kinds of questions of every parent I know. One suggested getting bandaids as a toy for the flight, since they come in bright colors and they can be more easily peeled off of things than stickers can. I am also hoping people won't mind us walking up and down the aisle on the flight, since my son is not so great with the sitting-still-for-3-hours thing!

As for on the ship, definitely check with the kids' club about the toddler room (unless you're on NCL or Carnival, then of course the kids' club will take your little one!). For toys for off times, we're planning to bring some Thomas the Tank Engine trains, because they are my son's favorite toy and they are small and don't make noise. So maybe some little cars or something would be good? And books, our son loves to read. But there's also usually a library onboard with kids' books, so you might find something there instead of having to pack it.

We pack Colorforms (reusable stickers on story boards) some micro machines, littlest pet shop pets and I transfer my Tivo TV recordings to our computer. Plastic cups also work in a pinch for a game called stacking and as basketball hoops.

My biggest savior was a portable DVD player! We don't watch much TV at home, but DS loves Blues Clues and Sesame Street so it is always a treat for him. It was great on the plane when he would insist on getting down! Traveling is so exhausting for a young child and this was a great way to get him to relax and sit still!

Other "toys" we brought were:

magnadoodle

tons of his fav books

photo album (DS loves to look at family pics)

glow worm

Have fun!

Just got back from an Alaska cruise with a 3 year old and a 13 month old (both boys). We took a tiny kids backpack with items my 3 year old chose: a couple of little people animals, 2 matchbox cars, and 3 small books. They did great. We actually bought a small Christmas tree ornament of the ship that my sons fell in love with (needless to say it is no longer tree worthy). I think you don't need a ton of items, just well chosen favorites.

GL and have a great time.

When my girl was younger, I would pack a couple of books, crayons and paper (even though Carnival waiters will automatically give out a little package of crayons plus a children's menu that has some activities for them -- it's just a few colors), and a few new toys. I put a tag (like ones you can use on keys to label them) on the "wrist" of a stuffed bear that she carried around on one cruise -- our cabin number was on it, just in case it was left someplace on the ship. It may be a good idea not to bring anything irreplaceable, if possible. As you no doubt know, kids easily drop toys unnoticed.

My now 6yo daughter went on her first cruise at 2yo. the best thing we packed for her was a small folding stroller for her doll. That stroller kept her occupied for hours both in the airport and on the ship. We walked around the decks with it everynight before bed to tire her out and she loved when the other passengers inquired after her baby. We now have a 2yo son and we plan to take the stroller and doll with us on our cruise to Alaska next month. For our 6yo we have a portable dvd player and 2 new games for her leapster.

On the Glory last month, my daughter had a Dora The Explorer magnetic play book (like colorforms, only magnets and the case folded up like a mini lunch box for easy transport). She also had a travel AquaDoodle, and both were AWESOME for dinner.

I packed her favorite stuffed animal to sleep with (I made sure I ordered 2 "spares" when she was an infant, just in case one got lost). She also had some simple beach sand molds and squirt toys from the dollar store that she brought to the beach.

I've heard that simple character window clings are GREAT for plane and long car rides. You can make up stories and place them over and over again on the window, like big inexpensive colorforms.

My youngest DS (5) takes in his own little backpack:

1)Leapster

2)color wonder stuff

3)matchbox cars/trains

4)lightsaber or harry potter wand (depending on current phase:rolleyes:)

5)blanket

6)stuffed animal

7)books

8)simple card game

And of course, can't travel without the DVD player!:D

I really don't find they need that much. They are in camp from breakfast to lunch, if we are not on a shore excursion. Then, we may have some family time at the pool or putt-putt, maybe some more camp, and then back to the room around 4 for a rest (ie movie!). After dinner they are chomping at the bit for camp. We pick them up at 10, have a story or 2 and its lights out.

On the Glory last month, my daughter had a Dora The Explorer magnetic play book (like colorforms, only magnets and the case folded up like a mini lunch box for easy transport). She also had a travel AquaDoodle, and both were AWESOME for dinner.

Where did you find the Dora magnetic play book? My daughter loves Dora and this would be great for her.

Archived