Livorno port to Florence and Pisa by train

It's that time of year again for Trenitalia. They update their schedules and have a very unique way of doing it. Wipe out all the schedules, then start adding back the new ones (albeit very slowly). They start with the Eurostar, then the IC+ and the IC, and finally the Regionale. The later being the ones you will be interested in.

Take a look at my train site (link below). The schedules and rates are there. Schedules rarely change. The new schedules will be up before you depart so that you can verify them.

All trains to Florence from Livorno stop in Pisa. You can walk to the tower but it is easier to take a bus - right in front of the station. Buy your tickets at the newstand inside. You can do the round trip on a single 60 minute ticket (about €1,20.)

Worth climbing it? Personal choice. I personally don't think it is worth the time that you'll have to spend in line (even with tickets purchased ahead of time).

I went to the trenitalia website and there are no trains listed from Livorno Centrale to Florence.:confused:

I also would like to know if the trains can be full. We are planning to take the train on July 9. Do I need to worry?

What about Civitavecchia to Rome?

I went to the trenitalia website and there are no trains listed from Livorno Centrale to Florence.:confused:

I also would like to know if the trains can be full. We are planning to take the train on July 9. Do I need to worry?

What about Civitavecchia to Rome?

Check my website (link below). It is very current and accurate. There are plenty of trains.

Trains can be full, sometimes. Not that frequently. Don't worry, you'll still get there.

Just be careful to leave yourself plenty of time. We were in Italy last year and missed connections at least 3 times because trains were late arriving at specified stations. Italian trains are not as punctual as those in Germany, France, etc.

Why don't you consider to have a chaffeur driven vehicle and a personal driving guide to otimize your time and expenses? We did last time and we enjoyed that day. My husband and I booked a daytrip to Florence and Pisa with Bruno who was our Driving Guide. He came and picked us up at the peer. He took us to Florence and because he is a fully licensed Guide of the town he introduced the main monuments and recommended a stop at Piazzale Michelangelo. Wonderful experience. Then back to the historical city centre, we visited the main monuments( no museums, that was our choice) free time for shopping and then we had a delicious lunch in a local trattoria suggested by Bruno. After lunch we drove back to Pisa where we stopped to get the vist to the Tower and the other monuments. Bruno was so good that we learnt many historical details of this city. arounf 5 pm back to Livorno port.

If you wish to reach Bruno's company this is the website: www.luxuryandexcellence.com

enjoy

Joan Taylor

RCCL has a shuttle in Livorno (to Piazza Grande). If you are going to Florence first (my recommendation), then I would grab a cab (unite with other pax for the trip) to the train station (5 € each. You will save over an hour.

Pisa station to tower is walkable but suggest a bus (right across the street from station). Given the choice, I'd spend every available minute in Florence!

We were in Livorno a couple of weeks ago. The ship's/port shuttle was 5 Euro roundtrip, but didn't start running until 8:00, and only went to the Piazza Grande, requiring additional transportation to the train station.

Instead of waiting for it, we walked off the ship right before 7:00 with another couple and found a taxi at the port willing to take us to the Centrale train station right away. The total cost was 20 Euro, divided by 6 people.

We were able to purchase our ticket in a machine and hop on the 7:30 am train to Florence. We had reserved tickets for the Uffuzi (12:00) and Accademia (14:15) museums and still had time to walk through the Medici chapel and see several other sites in Florence and catch the 4:27 train headed back towards Livorno. We decided to hop off the train at Pisa Centrale and took a taxi to the Tower (10 Euro). After spending a few minutes there and taking some pictures we took another taxi back to the train station and caught the next train back to Livorno. It was simple to find a taxi to take us back to port from there.

Archived