Backpack carrier suggestions?

Snowbuddy

We will be cruising with our daughter (she will be 18 months old) for the first time in October. She is not a lightweight (she is about 24 lbs now, at 13+ months), so I am thinking we need to get a backpack carrier for those times that the umbrella stroller just won't cut it. Any suggestions/recommendations?? TIA!!

I know when I went on a trip with my daughter who was about 18months I was very envious of those who had the back pack carrier. It seems much easier and the kids always seemed happier because they could see everything!!!!

If you aren't doing serious hiking, I would recommend either and Ergo or Beco fabric carrier. They can be used for kids up to 40 pounds and for either or front or back carry. Since they are fabric based, they fold up pretty small and are easy to pack. Easy to use and adjustable as well.

We also have a Kelty structured carrier and it works fabulous as well, just no where near as easy to travel with.

I used an Ergo from the time my son was 15 months until he was almost 4. It's really comfortable, lightweight, compact (fits in your diaper bag when not in use), and keeps your child close to your body which is good in line-ups and other tight places. You're much less likely to turn around and bash the person next to you!

My son loved the Ergo and would bring it to me whenever he wanted to be picked up and carried around. That way I could still make supper, do the dishes, etc., and he would let me know when he was ready to get down.

If you aren't used to a backpack carrier, remember to start using well in advance of your trip to get both you and your child used to it. You can't expect to wear it for 2 hours the first time you put it on.

Will the Ergo be able to handle a "larger" baby/toddler? Baby girl isn't exactly a lightweight, and that is my concern w/ one of the fabric backpack carriers. At 13 months, she was about 24 lbs, give or take. I know her growth should taper off some now, as she gets more active, etc., but I want to make sure that we get one that can handle her, but still be comfortable for us and for her.

Yes, the Ergo will not be a problem for your daughter weight or size wise.

I'd stay away from black if possible. Go with the khaki colored for a nuetral look. And definitely start wearing it at home before the cruise to get used to it.

We havea Beco Butterfly 2 which is very similar to an Ergo. I chose that over the Ergo simply because you have so many pretty fabrics to pick from :) And we still use it frequently with our 2 year old who weighs about 25 pounds (yes, she's tiny).

Check ebay and google it as well. You can often find them for sale. You can also register for free on a site called http://www.thebabywearer.com and they have a for sale or trade section where you can pick up used ones for a discount as well.

Another vote for the Ergo... my son is 16 months and 27lbs and fits just fine in it. Only problem is, he's at the age where he doesn't want to sit still and be restricted, so he usually won't stay in it for long before throwing a fit - of course, it's difficult to get him to sit in a stroller for more than 5 minutes either! We LOVED the Ergo when he was younger and less active though.

You can also register for free on a site called www.thebabywearer.com and they have a for sale or trade section where you can pick up used ones for a discount as well.

Thanks so much--I have registered on this site now...my head is swimming, though! It is like learning a whole other language, figuring out what on earth they are talking about over there, lol!

Don't try to figure it out. Just find the member boards, similar to here, then the section where people are selling their carriers. Search for Beco or Ergo. Otherwise, you'll end up with all kinds of new carriers that you'll just "have to have".

It is totally another language. I happen to have about 15 ways to carry my kid. My DH finds it um, funny. Right now though, with the exception of my Beco and Kelty, they are all loaned out to friends and family.

I ordered a toddler carrier today, so hopefully it works good for us! I have a small vaca next week, and a trip to Chicago in July/Aug, that I will get to "test-drive" it before the cruise, so I am hoping we like it since I talked DH into getting a new one b/c I couldn't find a good price for a used one that I liked...

Archived