Cagney's on the Spirit, Worth It?

Band Guy

Advice on Cagney's on the Spirt. Is it worth it?

Great? Good? OK?

Thank you,

Dom V.

To be honest I've found Cagney's to be a little "hit or miss". Some meals have been simply excellent while others just okay. On the other hand I've always found the Filet Mignon at LeBistro to be absolutely perfect.

For my money I'd go with LeBistro.

We did Cagney's on the Pearl the first night and we through it was just ok, that when it was $20 pp I hear it is now $25 pp. Nothing bad just average now that's to my taste. Most all the reviews on Cagney's is people like it. I wouldn't do it on the first night, just too much going on to relax and enjoy it and that could have been our case.

We always end up doing Cagney's on the first night; it's just how things work out. DDMau is right, though; there's a lot going on that day, so I can't argue with their advice to do it later. The biggest thing to remember is that no matter what day you're thinking of going, eat LIGHT earlier in the day, and remember to pace yourself, because you get a LOT of food. :)

Our first visit to Cagney's was on the Star, and we all ordered steaks. They were delicious, but nothing compared to the prime rib we had on the Pearl. In my opinion, prime rib is the way to go. They bring it to your table in a trolley and you get to choose which rack you have your piece cut from, so it's pretty much impossible to get a slice that's under or over-cooked. Mmmmmm... I can't wait to go again on the Sky... and the Epic!!

Personally, I think Cagney's is well worth it - but my family are red meat lovers, so we're always up for good, well prepared beef. :) As has been mentioned, their sides and appetizers are also delectable - and I think their chocolate dessert is my daughter's absolute favourite thing NCL has to offer! I would feel remiss if I didn't mention the fries in particular... I'm not really a fry person, actually, and I usually forego them so that I have 'room' to eat something else, but I always make sure to have a few of my daughter's fries at Cagney's because they are simply the best friggin' fries I've ever had. :p

We tried Cagney's twice on the Dawn and thought it was nice, but not as good as LeBistro. We decided to try it again on our last Dawn cruise because we kept hearing from others that they had loved it. Again, it was nice, but not worth the extra twenty,

On the Spirit last week the cover charge was 25. so we passed on Cagneys and went to LeBistro three times. The 15 cover charge for Lebistro was worth it for the quality, selection and service.

Our cover was $20 pp in April. Bummer to hear it is $5 more. Maybe it is our fault it went up - we ordered EVERY appetizer (and shared,) each a salad, soup, and both had lamb. We liked it very much. We went late in the evening, like 9 pm and it was a nice night, mostly couples having romantic dinners at that hour. I think we went here on Wednesday night or Thursday night of our cruise.

Le Bistro has some nice things, like watching the open kitchen area and a very attentive staff and hot, hot food; but I liked the choices in Cagney's better in general.

We would do both restuarants again, but continue to make later reservations. Hope you enjoy Cagney's and your cruise. We had a terrific time!:)

I have tried Cagney's on the Pearl ( 2 times), Spirit (2)and the Star(1) had found all three to be mediocre and service almost good to bad i)n all three.

So I have almost given up on Cagney's.

On the Sun (3 times){ there is no Cagney's} they have East meets West with the same menu. I have found the service to be excellent and food outstanding in this venue.

Big Green

We have tried Cagney's 4 times on 2 ships and thought they were fantastic every time. Do you like Alaskan King Crab. Awesome! :)

The answer is YES but I've hesitated ordering them because I worried about them being difficult to eat. Do they "crack" them open for you?

We have been to both le bistro and Cagney's on all three ships we have been on (including Spirit) and Completely agree with all the other assessments.... Le Bistro is a much better value. We have enjoyed Cagney's each time, so no complaints, but always enjoyed Le Bistro more.

I thought that Cagney's on the Spirit was much better then on other ships. Try and get a table in the back room. It is quiter and you have the opportunity to see the sunset. Most steaks were good, but the Filet Migon was perfect. Collosal shrimp cocktail and Oysters Rockerfellow were also very good. Also give Cagney's salad a try.

To be honest I've found Cagney's to be a little "hit or miss". Some meals have been simply excellent while others just okay. On the other hand I've always found the Filet Mignon at LeBistro to be absolutely perfect.

For my money I'd go with LeBistro.

Another vote for Le Bistro.

We agree Cagney's very hit or miss---and the ambiance is nowhere near that of Le Bistro if that is important to you. Definitely hesitate to order anything but beef at Cagney's. However, if you are a suite passenger, one of the best things on the ship is the Cagney breakfast.

We also find the Asian restaurant to be terrific, and very underrated on these boards--very few seem to have discovered it--is that because they think it is like Chinese food at home?? It is most definitely not--completely different and excellent.

Most fun restaurant?? The Mexican!! And some good stuff on that menu too. The service always seems particularly great in there for some reason.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Archived