Just Back - St. Thomas - Review

CaribbeanBound

St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands

St. Thomas is a major shopping destination. A large number of passengers bought digital cameras at this stop. We privately arranged for an island tour with Godfrey's Tour (http://godfreytoursvi.com/) for $20 per person (plus tip).

He picked us up at the ship at 10:00 am and dropped us off downtown. At noon he picked us up for a 2-hour island tour and dropped us off at Coki beach (no beach charge) from 2pm to 4pm. We would have preferred Meagan’s Bay ($3 per person), but the majority of our tour mates brought their snorkel gear and were set on Coki Beach with the clearer water and more abundant fish.

The downside of Coki is that it is a small, crowded, relatively unattractive stretch of sand maybe 25% as long as the considerably less crowded, more picturesque, Meagan’s Bay. $20 rental at Coki Beach for 2 beach lounge chairs (unpadded) and a very large umbrella.

A complete review of our Eastern Caribbean cruise can be found at:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/easterncaribbean.html

I had a question concerning the Godfrey Tour. Do you have to go where the majority of the group wants to go? I thought each person had a choice of one of three places. I assumed he did "drop-offs" at all three locations. We want to go to Megans Bay & that is one of the reasons we signed up for his tour. Thanks for any info you have on this. Susan

Susan,

I think if we had pressed him we could have gotten dropped off at Meagans Bay. My wife was wanting to stick with the rest of the group. Once we had a good look at Coki I truely wished I had been more assertive.

I think the thing to do is just ask him before the start of your tour (when he picks you up at the ship) if he'll drop you at Meagans Bay even if everyone else choses to go elsewhere. That way he'll know your wishes upfront. That's how I would handle it if I did it over again.

Have a great trip.

Godfrey stopped at 2 different beaches for our group and was more than willing to take us back to Megan's Bay when we decided we didn't want either of the other 2.... Megan's bay is the first stop, then Coki, then Sapphire. We didn't want to throw his schedule off by back tracking, so we went back to the ship. He will go anywhere you'd like with no problems at all. He's extremely accommodating!

Thanks for the replies to my question---I feel better now! We definitely want to go to Megans Bay (even if we are the only two people who want to go there!). I had read that Godfrey does a really good job & I wanted to stick with him---which I will! Thanks again! Susan

Hello Msmeltz,

Sapphire has hotel type restaurant/grill beach front and pool side. Magens Bay has a concession with bar, beach restaurant (burgers, fries...) and a souvenir shop. Coki has a couple beach shacks that sell burgers, fish, fries...

Maybe check out the pictures in the beach guide at http://www.*****/stthomas/beaches_stt/

to help you make your decision.

--Islander

Archived