cabin d5 4173 4/22/05 cheap seats?

bikerfun

is category d5 room 4173 the cheap seats wondering if we should upgrade. cost was very reasonable and we are easy to please.we kind of figure that we wont be in our rooms to much anyway.we are going to buy a used camper in southhampton and tour for acouple of months.so the ride over is more abought the expierence than the luxery.never been on cruise before.

Bikerfun,

I'm in sort of the same boat as you are, no pun intended. I am sailing on the 5/10 Meditterranean cruise. I have booked and inside and I guess I feel like I am going to be in the cheap seats as well. You don't hear too much from people who have traveled in inside QM2 cabins, but the way I look at it is that we are really "all in the same boat". I would love to be in a Grill class cabin, but at this point in my life I can't afford that. I will be happy to be onboard the QM2. I have only been to Europe one other time. I crusie quite often and mostly have outside cabins, but in this case the savings for an inside is pretty dramatic so I'm going that route. I would love to hear about other's experinces with inside QM2 cabins.

One question; Cunard says that the inside cabins are 194 square feet, the same size as outside, category C. However, the inside cabins lack the sofa found in the category C cabins. Why is this, if the category C and category D cabins are supposedly the same size? It is clear from photographs that the insides do not have space for the sofa while the outsides do.

Thanks

On our recent QM2 voyage, I walked the lower decks and was able to peek into some of the suites, both inside and out. (On the QM they call all the cabins "Suites"). I think you will be cramped but comfortable in an inside suite. Of course mitigating factors include, your size (my wife and I are both fitness oriented so we are pretty good shape); your amount of luggage (we travel heavy, lots of clothes, so the grill suites offered plenty of closet space, she had a walk-in, and drawers (15)); everyone states "we don't plan on spending much time in our room", but trust me, you will spend at least 10-12 hours a day in there, if you count sleeping.

My advice, if you're going on a cruise that will be in many ports and you plan on disembarking at each port then you are right, you will probably not spend more than 10-12 hours a day in your room. However, if you're doing a trans-trip, or if it rains, you will be in there staring at those walls for a lot longer time.

My sister can easily afford top-notch accomodations, but she always cruises in an inside, because, as you state, she doesn't spend a lot of time in her cabin. Of course her husband is a nasty snorer so that is a contributing factor.

Have fun!

We were in an inside cabin on QM2 in November. The room was great for two of us. he only problem was that we took too many clothes and the closet was crowded, but not badly. Luggage will fit under the bed. There is lots of drawer space. The ship is so big, has so many things th see and read and so many activities that you will not spend much time in your cabin. I don't think that the outside cabins or balconies were worth the extra price. But as you can see by my log on ID i've been on Carnival a few times. Enjoy, it is a wonderful ship. Dean

We were on the QM2 11/26/2004. We were in 4126 which was a hull balcony. We loved the balcony even if it was a cut out. Since you are going on a crossing and there really isn't much to see other than ocean I wouldn't sweat not having an outside cabin. As far as being treated differently, don't worry about it the only ones getting special treatment are the grill passengers, other than their meals and the perks for their cabin they aren't any different than anyone else around the ship. Take what you feel comfortable with enjoy. Joan

• 4 weeks later...

With regard to the question from Seatrial about the size of the D grade cabins, you are correct, they are smaller. The information given by Cunard is incorrect, the D grades are 154 square feet and not 194 as stated.

Brgs

Mark.

mcw,

If true, it is really surprising that Cunard would misreport the size of inside cabins for such a long time. Every brochure (there have been several now) has misreported this size; there has been plenty of time to correct this information.

Thanks for the information.

I have re-checked, just to be sure, as I also felt that these cabins must be smaller. On the UK Cunard site, it states the size of 194sq f, but on the USA site, it is stated as 157sq f for D2-6. I would think that the USA site is correct, as you pointed out, just looking at the layout and the pictures, they do look smaller.

Mark.

Archived