A Dreaded Dress Code Question!

Well, we have decided to book the Dawn out of NYC for a trip to Bermuda!

I am used to sailing RCCL and Celebrity.

Can someone tell me about the dress code aboard the Dawn? I don't know much about Freestyle Cruising.

Am I correct in assuming that there is no dress code in any venue? Meaning that we can wear bermuda-type shorts and nice shirts even to eat?

Thanks to all!!!

You can wear resort casual clothes in any restaurant. The jury is still out on shorts in the dining rooms (some have been admitted, some have been turned away). And, you can wear just about anything you want in the Blue Lagoon and Garden Cafe.

Make sure you join your roll call. Lots of returning Dawn cruisers will have tons of info for you.

You can wear resort casual clothes in any restaurant. The jury is still out on shorts in the dining rooms (some have been admitted, some have been turned away). And, you can wear just about anything you want in the Blue Lagoon and Garden Cafe.

When do you sail?

Thank you for your quick response.

April 24, 2010

Have you sailed Dawn?

Just for the record , the man in front of us going to diner was turned back at the main dinning for wearing shorts.

He was half way down the stairs and the hostess called him back. This was this past March. ;)

I wore bermuda's every nite.. They were always paired with a dressier type top and a wedge heel. This was in ALL the restaurants. I definitely think women get away with this more than men.

Nice jeans are even allowed in all but one main dining room.

There's a great FAQ section at NCL.com that goes into many questions you might have. Enjoy your Dawn cruise and welcome to NCL.

I wore bermuda's every nite.. They were always paired with a dressier type top and a wedge heel. This was in ALL the restaurants. I definitely think women get away with this more than men.

There's a great FAQ section at NCL.com that goes into many questions you might have. Enjoy your Dawn cruise and welcome to NCL.

OH absolutely.... This applies to men only , unless of course your wearing a pair of Daisy Dukes .... Wouldn't bother me though ;)

OH absolutely.... This applies to men only , unless of course your wearing a pair of Daisy Dukes .... Wouldn't bother me though ;)

LOL... YeeeeHaaaaaw!!

My daisy's have seen their last duke, I'm afraid.

We were on Celebrity for the first time in April. You will find NCL much more relaxed. Personally I still like to dress nicely for dinner, but appreciate the not HAVING to dress nicely. We dress as if we were going out to dinner land based. MY DH wore a tie every night on Celebrity, but does not on NCL...

People are reporting that jeans are allowed at both main dining rooms now that the menus have changed on the Dawn...only makes sense, since both the dining rooms have different menus from each other...

That may be the case on the Dawn, but on the Spirit, the menu was the same in both main dining rooms . We did find that ufortunately,the food was much better, overall, in the ala crate restaurants. :(

Resort casual has always been fine. Shorts are not worn for dinner accept at the Garden Cafe. It has recently been acceptable to wear jeans in one of 2 dining rooms/restaurants on most ships. We have never done this but have met other cruisers who prefer to wear jeans to dinner.

Recent reports from the Dawn have indicated that there are now different menus in Aqua and Venetian restaurants and no one has posted about attire/apparel.

We were only on the Dawn once previously so I don't recall which one was the one that allowed jeans for dinner. Keep reading and someone will post the answer.

I'm almost certain that I've seen something that says that on cruises to Bermuda specifically, Bermuda shorts are allowed... note the 'almost' though... I'm sure if I did read it, it was on NCL.com, so whoever suggested checking out the faq there gave some good advice. :)

Just off the Dawn on Sunday, and I would say the dress code is "resort casual". Did not see anyone in the main dining rooms in shorts (but can't be sure there weren't any). They do have signs posted that shorts are not allowed. My husband just threw on a pair of khaki pants with a casual shirt each night. You can choose to dress up or not. Some of the "girls" in our group chose to dress up a little, no matter what you wore you felt comfortable in. And just to add my 2-cents about the new menus in the dining rooms-great choices, exceptional food. Traveled with a couple that has been on 3 other cruise lines, 8 trips total and they said it was the best food they have had on any other cruise ship! We had no need to go to a pay restaurant, as the service was exceptional also. We dine out a lot at home, various types of restaurants and price ranges and I have to say that the new menus and both dining rooms were well above any standard we could have set for them.:)

I just completed a survey from NCL yesterday specifically about the dress code and interpretation of resort casual.

They asked how I liked to dress (I like to wear a dress to dinner most nights, and possibly capris a night or two), what types of dress I observed and so on.

Towards the end of the survey, they had an excerpt from "What should I pack?" from the WELCOME ABOARD pamphlet, which several questions were asked how I interpreted it, what I would wear for different dining venues, and what would I consider appropriate for these various venues.

The final questions was What can NCL do to better explain what "resort casual" is?

The survey made me feel like NCL is concerned that they haven't done a good job communicating what is appropriate to wear and where....

These boards help a lot, but not all passengers know about CC!

CCers provide a lot of insight into what is currently happening on ships at the time. I understand the confusion people have about what to wear, because freestyle seems to imply you can wear want you want, any place that you want. On NCL Majesty Jan. 2008 this lack of understanding was very evident on the "formal optional" night.

We sat at a table near the MDR entrance and there were groups of women wearing long gowns, beaded and sequined tops, ect. Some women wore nice pant sets, or capris and casual tops, but the couple that stood out was the young lady wearing her "Daisy dukes" and the young man wearing faded, ripped jeans.

While sailing on any cruise line (I've been on seven), I am 50+ and I like to bring along nice navy and black pants to wear to dinner and mix and match tops. After getting hot and sweaty during the day, changing clothes makes me feel better. Mom (80+) often stays in the same outfit. This doesn't include "daisy dukes" although she has great legs.

The survey made me feel like NCL is concerned that they haven't done a good job communicating what is appropriate to wear and where....

That's interesting because I have often felt that NCL's various descriptions in brochures, welcome aboard pamphlets, website, freestyle dailies, restaurant signage, etc., are somewhat inconsistent and don't seem to convey a clear message. Thus, leaving too much room for interpretation or loopholes.

By contrast, I like the following description from Carnival because it describes BOTH what is and isn't allowed:

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Men can wear shorts but they must shave their legs, :D:D:D

Archived