What does Residency Rate refer too?

swdke

I see on the royal caribbean website discounts for "residency rate" on some New England cruises. What exactly does residency rate refer too? Does it refer to US citizens, or do you have to be from the state where the ship departs? Any help and guidance appreicated. Thanks.

I see on the royal caribbean website discounts for "residency rate" on some New England cruises. What exactly does residency rate refer too? Does it refer to US citizens, or do you have to be from the state where the ship departs? Any help and guidance appreicated. Thanks.

You have to live in the state the residency rate is applicable to. Arizona and Florida frequently have residency discounts (probably because there are so many retirees). Unscrupulous TA's often book people on residency rates they are not entitled to. Then when pax try to board and have ID from Nebraska but their cruise rate was based on the Arizona residency rate, they have to pony up the difference.

The cruise-lines offer special deals at times to residents of various states. Those specials are what the residency rates refer to. Near the sailing, they know that many won't fly to the port at that short notice so they offer "residency specials" to people living near the ports, e.g. Florida and Atlanta for Florida departures. But we have enjoyed NJ residency rates also on RCCL.

I've gotten residency rates on 3 cruises. 2 for Arkansas, and one for Pennsylvania for my cruise this weekend (one of my roommates is from Philly).

Just keep watching. The residency rates all popped up after I'd already booked. On RCCL at least, they will allow you to have any residency rates that pop up after you've booked, even after final payment.

I live in Louisiana and my sister lives in Texas. We always cruise together. Recently I saw that Texas residents were getting a discount off several categories of cabins and one of them was ours. She called and asked if she could get our balance reduced and was told yes she could. And, since I was in the same cabin as her it also applied to me. That residency discount was for $190 each so we saved $380 off the price of our cabin. Keep checking it worth the little effort it takes to go online everday, twice a day to check!

Archived