Confirmed Swine Flu on Cruise Ship

joebat1

Well, later has just arrived.... P & O 's Pacific Dawn has disembarked and there are at least 14 confirmed cases of passengers on the cruise with swine flu.....

What I find amazing is the fact that the health authorities allowed the inflected passengers to disembark and go their merry way.

The Cherry family was showing all the siphons on the ship.

Well, later has just arrived.... P & O 's Pacific Dawn has disembarked and there are at least 14 confirmed cases of passengers on the cruise with swine flu.....

What I find amazing is the fact that the health authorities allowed the inflected passengers to disembark and go their merry way.

Any link or site on where this info can be found?

:confused:

Did the article say who confirmed it? The ship doctor?

Just since I post the number of confirmed cases has risen to 20 disembarking passengers....

Now are are 3 additional suspected cases of the new passenger that embarked on the new cruise as it heads toward the Great Barrier Reef....

"SYDNEY (AFP) – Australia slapped tough measures on cruise ships docking in Sydney on Wednesday to guard against swine flu as the global death toll from the virus rose and total cases worldwide passed 13,000."

:Health Minister Nicola Roxon said there would be a "significant increase in the number of cases that are confirmed, particularly in the coming days."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090527/hl_afp/healthfluworld_20090527172153

Did the article say who confirmed it? The ship doctor?

It appears the Australian health authorities, since the passengers disembarked 3 days ago, and the numbers seems to be growing by the hour... From what I can understand, it was only the Cherry family when they disembarked. Now 3 days later, 20 cases ~~!!~~

It appears this is a breaking story, and I am sure many details will become available in the next couple of hours....

The ship disembarked Wednesday in Australia, it is now Friday, Australia time... hence the 3 day statement...

"As a precautionary measure we have taken samples from the three crew members and transported them to the mainland from the ship for further analysis.”

Ms Sherry said she had advised the Australian health authorities of an international working group led by the US-based Centre for Disease Control who are working with the World Health Organization to develop an international set of protocols within which cruise ships can operate.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tra...cle6373015.ece

Am I misunderstanding are they supsected or confirmed? How were they confirmed so quickly and why weren't they quarantined and treated if they were confirmed?

Confirmed ~~!!~~ As I tried to explain in a previous post..... one suspected case on Wednesday...The Cherry Family while on board...... It is now Friday, 3 days later..... I am sure those 20 had CAUGHT the flu earlier while on board , and it has been taking hold on them over the past 3, 4 or 5 days.......

Since it appears the ship had no way to confirm the virus, and of course we all know they wanted to dump the returning passengers, and load another 1,500 on board so as not to disrupt P & O's schedule....

It appears the Cherry family was quarantined, but the pigs had already escaped the pen, and the cross infection had spread on the ship...... How do you quarantine 2,000 people on a suspecting case of flu????

That's what I was trying to figure out. It was reading like they just now got off before you posted more info and I couldn't figure out how they would know these people had confirmed cases if they were just now debarking and why wouldn't they quarantine the sick ones.

Now with the later info that it's been 3 days it makes a lot more sense.

Joebat, did you post this thread on every cruise line or just Carnival? Not discounting this flu, but you seem to be glad to spread this news...and since it was on another cruise line......I would think that you are posting there, as well as DCL, RCCL, NCL, etc. etc....you know so that everyone is aware and it doesn't appear that you are targeting the CArnival thread. No cheerleader here, just a satisfied cruiser who is trying to make sure that this info is being fairly and accurately reported to all cruisers...not just the Carnival cruisers.....nothing more...nothing less.

That's what I was trying to figure out. It was reading like they just now got off before you posted more info and I couldn't figure out how they would know these people had confirmed cases if they were just now debarking and why wouldn't they quarantine the sick ones.

Now with the later info that it's been 3 days it makes a lot more sense.

I'm sorry for the confussion.... When I first saw it on Yahoo, it was very sketchy as to facts.... Then someone posted a UK site which had more information, and when someone ask where I received my information, I did a Goggle on the latest news, and it gave me yet more information.... I was trying to stick to the facts and not assume too much..

I don't know what is involved in confirming a flu is swine flu, but it now appears all ships need a faster way of confirming a sick passenger...

The horrors of even thing about 2,000 people in contact with the virus, and then being turned loose into society is frightening. And as with most cruises, I am sure some boarded planes, and one report has 33 "Brits" on the current sailing.......

That's ok, I think it was my non-comprehension more then anything LOL

I agree this could be the start of another big wave. We've all wondered what would happen if it went through a cruise ship. I guess now we sit back and see how it plays out and hope no one that was affected had compromised health :(

Oops forgot to say thanks for the info. I don't watch the news much so I probably wouldn't have heard about it if it wasn't for this board.

True...and that is why I suggested that he should be posting on other boards as well if he is not already. Not just posting here.

Joebat, did you post this thread on every cruise line or just Carnival? Not discounting this flu, but you seem to be glad to spread this news...and since it was on another cruise line......I would think that you are posting there, as well as DCL, RCCL, NCL, etc. etc....you know so that everyone is aware and it doesn't appear that you are targeting the CArnival thread. No cheerleader here, just a satisfied cruiser who is trying to make sure that this info is being fairly and accurately reported to all cruisers...not just the Carnival cruisers.....nothing more...nothing less.

"Actually, I am in the process, since this should be a real concern to all, cruisers and non cruisers alike.... Since 95% of my time is spent on this board, I was here, and when I went to check my emails, Yahoo had it on their front web page.... Since the time of my original post I have been trying to answer questions.

The connection between the Carnival Corporation?? They own P & O Cruises... nothing more, nothing less..

And as to your snide remark "but you seem to be glad to spread this news", nothing could be further from the truth.... I personally think it is truly sad ~~!!~~

Confirmed ~~!!~~ As I tried to explain in a previous post..... one suspected case on Wednesday...The Cherry Family while on board...... It is now Friday, 3 days later..... I am sure those 20 had CAUGHT the flu earlier while on board , and it has been taking hold on them over the past 3, 4 or 5 days.......

Since it appears the ship had no way to confirm the virus, and of course we all know they wanted to dump the returning passengers, and load another 1,500 on board so as not to disrupt P & O's schedule....

It appears the Cherry family was quarantined, but the pigs had already escaped the pen, and the cross infection had spread on the ship...... How do you quarantine 2,000 people on a suspecting case of flu????

It is not Friday in Australia!!! It is Thursday morning in Australia right now.

"Actually, I am in the process, since this should be a real concern to all, cruisers and non cruisers alike.... Since 95% of my time is spent on this board, I was here, and when I went to check my emails, Yahoo had it on their front web page.... Since the time of my original post I have been trying to answer questions.

The connection between the Carnival Corporation?? They own P & O Cruises... nothing more, nothing less..

And as to your snide remark "but you seem to be glad to spread this news", nothing could be further from the truth.... I personally think it is truly sad ~~!!~~

yes, you are correct...the annual flu season is difficult...but flu has been around forever.....don't be sad about it....there are lots of things that make folks ill....flu is just one of them.

Archived