Where to put a 3 yr.old to bed in cabin-not top bunk?

C. Anne

We have a cabin for four. I am assuming 2 beds down and 2 up. The 2 beds down will be pushed together for husband and me. I don't think our 3 yr. old could be put in a top bunk. What have others done in this case. I'm afraid she'll be too big for a portacrib and unhappy, but don't want to share an already small bed with her:confused:

C. Anne

We took our oldest dd when she was 3 on Carnival and they had a small bed just her size next to us. I'm sure they will accomodate something for your child.

Have a great trip!

Last year when we went on our cruise our boys were 2 and 3 and they both slept on the fold downs and they were fine. The beds have bars so there us no way they can fall unless they are hanging over. And if that was the case she would just fall on your bed, she couldn't miss it! She will probably love sleeping up there!

We just left the Carnival Glory 2 weeks ago, and had a sleeper sofa for our 3-year-old. She is a very mobile sleeper, though, so for safety, we pushed the chair and vanity stool over to the side of the bed to keep her from rolling out.

One or two nights, though, she wound up sleeping with us in the great big California King bed since there was plenty of room for the 3 of us.

067sidesleep.jpg

We used a blow up air mattress that we put on the floor which worked great. It even fit under our bed so we didn't have to do much to make up our sons bed. Another option is to look for cabins that have a sofa sleeper as opposed to an upper bunk; they're on the deck plans.

We pulled the mattress off and layed it on the floor next to our bed for our 3 yr old and then put it back up every day and had the steward lock it back into the wall. For naps during the day she just used our bed. It worked perfect! The mattress was already made up with sheets and all and we just lifted it and set it on the floor ready to go. It took all of one minute. It really wasnt very heavy at all. There was still room to walk around even with her mattress on the floor. She would not be able to do the top bunk there is only a small rail covering maybe 1/3rd the length of the bed.

Are there 3 or 4 in your room?

If you have a room for 4,would your room have a bed for 2 that can either be a together or apart and then a lower and upper single beds or a double sofa bed.

Could you 3 year old not sleep in the lower single bed?

When we travelled with my mom a few cruises back, we kept the beds apart and my husband took one of the top berths so that my mom didn't have to climb up the ladder. If you can bear to sleep 'apart' for a week, this sort of plan could work for you. :)

That was my thought!

Our DS slept on the sofa turned around against the wall. This was on the Exlorer of the Seas but I'm sure any of the sofas can be moved, right?? Anyway, this worked out great.

This is a great idea! We are looking at booking Freedom of the Seas in February and I wasn't sure where to put my 3 year old son. Thanks!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to see if I can find a mini inflatable bed, the mattress on the floor sounds good, and maybe even the bunk bed would work. I haven't seen a room with 4 beds before, so I don't know the layout.

Thanks again!

C. Anne

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to see if I can find a mini inflatable bed, the mattress on the floor sounds good, and maybe even the bunk bed would work. I haven't seen a room with 4 beds before, so I don't know the layout.

Thanks again!

C. Anne

On Carnival Elation, my youngest was 2, we had 2 uppers/2 lowers. So I threw a mattress on the floor....

IMG_0047.jpg

Im also interested to know if the RCI cabins that have sofabeds on the Radiance can be turned around to keep my baby (will be 16months) from falling off of the sofabed. Otherwise, I'll need suggestions on how to keep him in the bed!

We were on the Inspiration a couple of weeks ago with our two-year old. Our cabin steward set up a small cot (bigger than a crib mattress but smaller than a twin) that was only about four inches off the floor for our son. We had a pull-down as well that wasn't used, but could have been with the location of the cot. It worked perfectly, we had been concerned about him falling out of the bunk. I did end up worrying about him opening the door though, since it has a lever-type handle that he could reach and open even when it was locked.

Im also interested to know if the RCI cabins that have sofabeds on the Radiance can be turned around to keep my baby (will be 16months) from falling off of the sofabed. Otherwise, I'll need suggestions on how to keep him in the bed!

We just got off the Liberty on RCI and for our 14 month old, we just borrowed a ships pack n play. We did purchase a pack n play slip cover we were reccomended on here, and it worked great.

Another option, if your child is small enough, is to pack one of those little tiny kid-sized couches (with the pictures of Dora, or Spongebob, or several other cartoon characters) that folds out into a bed. We did that for our daughter on her first cruise.

Archived