Cant swim but want to go snorkeling .. is this possible

bklynfinest77

Even if you can swim, I would suggest wearing a life jacket. I have been swimming all my life, but I was actually afraid in the water while snorkeling at GC. The guides had warned us that we could quickly drift away from the boat, but I was surprised at how quickly. They had ropes out outlining the area where we should snorkel, and I grabbed hold to one of the ropes and they pulled me in. I did go back out - but this time with a life jacket on. Some people will tell you it is so calm - not to worry. Others will warn that the water conditions are very rough. Your experience will depend on the water conditions the day you are there. We went with Nativeway, and the guides were great to help out. If the snorkeling concerns you - you can always go to Stingray City - where we were able to stand on the bottom the day we were there.

kind of an odd site. A car rental agency with no description as to where you would use such a water item. Just lists a price and nothing else. Really seems odd to me.

Well, their business is right on the waterfront just a bit north of the tender docks.

As to whether or not snorkeling is a good idea without swimming skills... You need to wear a life jacket - not just a snorkeling vest - if you are in water too deep to stand up. Life jackets are designed to hold your head out of the water, which does complicate snorkeling. Still, safety first.

I think it all depends on your comfort level. I can't swim, but snorkelled the Great Barrier Reef in a wetsuit (kept me floating!), but chickened out at the last minute on the scuba diving. Then didn't do anything similar for many years, went to Stingray City in Grand Cayman and had a lifevest on, but the water was EXTREMELY rough, had a very hard time getting from the boat to the sandbar (but I made it with people helping me). That scared me off from snorkelling later in the day and the next day in Belize and the next day in Roatan.

Fast forward 6 months, got a snorkelling vest of my own and was in the water in Roatan for an hour and a half! I wasn't that good at moving myself around, mostly by hubby was pulling me, so this year I got fins...going to try them out this week (leaving tomorrow). What helped for me was the first time in Roatan (1) hubby was RAVING about what he saw down there and (2) that day, there was a guy from another ship with a snork vest and he let me try it out in the shallow water and gave me some tips. First time I used my own, I spent 30 minutes or so getting comfy with it....wanted to make sure I felt confident about being able to put myself vertical to rest when needed (eg if I needed to adjust my mask).

So my advice... give it a try if you think you can....it's amazing down there!

This may be good incentive for the whole family to learn how to swim! I think if you use a vest you should have fun, and be safe. I am going to the Caymans in a few weeks and can't wait to snorkel as well. Have a great time!

Hi, I also am a none swimmer. I love to snorkel. Between the snorkel vest and the salt water there is no problem. Just takes a minute to get used to it. I would definately go on an organized trip wether it be thru the ship or privately. The guides are very helpful and keep an eye out for you. ENJOY!!

Archived