Getting to St. Andrews from Saint John

What is the best way to get to St. Andrews? I'd prefer to not drive myself (really worried about getting lost), so renting is pretty much out of the question.. Do taxi's run that far? Is there a car service someone can recommend? Time is a bit of a factor, I need to meet someone at a certain time, so I'm concerned about a bus that will stop to drop off others..

Thanks in advance!

It's over 50 miles in a straight line, so even more by road, so I would say a taxi would be pretty expensive. It is a pretty basic drive along the coast, and that highway is only a couple blocks north of the cruise ship pier if you did want to rent.

Your cruise offers an excursion to St Andrews for $99, and it's listed as a 6.5 hour tour. Here's what it says online for the tour. Also, when we did this cruise several years ago, the ship stayed on Eastern time, and didn't change to Atlantic time, which Saint John is on. If that is the case on your cruise, when the itinerary says you are in port from 8-6, that will be 9-7 local time, so take that into account when making plans to meet somebody.

Enjoy a scenic drive along the Bay of Fundy Coast to St. Andrews by the Sea.

On this excursion you will

* Travel to St. Andrews by the Sea, a picturesque resort town where visitors have come for decades to breathe in the fresh sea air and settle into a slower pace of life.

* Ride through New Brunswick’s countryside and along the coast of the Bay of Fundy during your 90-minute journey to St. Andrews.

* Listen as your guide entertains you with historical accounts, fascinating stories, and tall tales of life on the Bay of Fundy.

* Arrive in St. Andrews and enjoy a brief tour of Canada’s first seaside resort town en route to the jewel of St. Andrews, the historic Fairmont Algonquin; built in the 1880’s, this resort hotel has a fascinating history and continues to serve as a symbol of East Coast hospitality.

* Enjoy a light luncheon, followed by a historic walking tour of the charming Fairmont Algonquin. Experience the beautiful architecture of this Tudor-style castle overlooking the Bay of Fundy.

* Explore the luscious and fragrant gardens, hear tales of a bygone era of luxury, and hear the occasional tale of a ghost or movie star.

* Take time to explore the town of St. Andrews and browse in the charming shops and boutiques housed in historic buildings along Water Street before boarding the coach for your return to Saint John.

Note: A light lunch at the Fairmont Algonquin is included.

What is the best way to get to St. Andrews? I'd prefer to not drive myself (really worried about getting lost), so renting is pretty much out of the question.. Do taxi's run that far? Is there a car service someone can recommend? Time is a bit of a factor, I need to meet someone at a certain time, so I'm concerned about a bus that will stop to drop off others..

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to the Acadien Bus Lines (only one) schedule.

http://www.acadianbus.com/en/index.asp

As you can see there is only one round trip daily leaving Saint John at 2:20 PM and leaving to come back to Saint John just half an hour after it arrives in St. Andrews.

You could take a taxi but you would be paying the driver to stick around to drive you back to SJ. Besides, I don't think I would want to be on the highway in any of the taxis I have seen around Saint John. They leave a lot to be desired.

Here is a link to Holmes Multiservice which is based in St. Andrews. http://www.hmstrans.com/

They provide private pickup and return. You could ask the owner, Jeff Holmes what he could do for you. They are a very reputable firm which has been in business for many years in the St. Andrews area and they offer shuttle services. I knew the owner when he was just a high school kid and he has done very well for himself----is very well liked and respected.

They provide transportation for the cruise tours as well so a ship's tour to St. Andrews would probably be handled by HMS.

Thanks all! I guess I may just look into renting a car then.. I spoke with my husband today and he feels comfortable driving us, so I guess that's that!

Dan, I already have a private excursion all set up, they just don't provide shuttle service.. Just trying to find the best way there and back again.. Don't want to miss the boat! lol

Thanks all! I guess I may just look into renting a car then.. I spoke with my husband today and he feels comfortable driving us, so I guess that's that!

Dan, I already have a private excursion all set up, they just don't provide shuttle service.. Just trying to find the best way there and back again.. Don't want to miss the boat! lol

Avis car rental is just two blocks from the cruise terminal, they will give you directions to St. Andrews. The drive is a piece of cake, about fifty minutes. Have fun!!!

I am cruising on Carnival for the first time in July with my mother and my grandparents. Have have decided to go on the shore excursion St. Andrews by the Sea - Visit to Fairmont Algonquin. If anyone took this specific excursion and would like to share any details I would appreciate it. Pictures would be a + This excursion is approximately 6 hours and I just can't bear to not know what to expect. I don't really like suprises. My grandparents are crusiing for the first time and I want them to have a good experience.

Thank You for taking the time to read this and happy cruising everyone

This is the information listed on the website.

Enjoy a scenic drive along the Bay of Fundy Coast to St. Andrews by the Sea.

On this excursion you will

* Travel to St. Andrews by the Sea, a picturesque resort town where visitors have come for decades to breathe in the fresh sea air and settle into a slower pace of life.

* Ride through New Brunswick’s countryside and along the coast of the Bay of Fundy during your 90-minute journey to St. Andrews.

* Listen as your guide entertains you with historical accounts, fascinating stories, and tall tales of life on the Bay of Fundy.

* Arrive in St. Andrews and enjoy a brief tour of Canada’s first seaside resort town en route to the jewel of St. Andrews, the historic Fairmont Algonquin; built in the 1880’s, this resort hotel has a fascinating history and continues to serve as a symbol of East Coast hospitality.

* Enjoy a light luncheon, followed by a historic walking tour of the charming Fairmont Algonquin. Experience the beautiful architecture of this Tudor-style castle overlooking the Bay of Fundy.

* Explore the luscious and fragrant gardens, hear tales of a bygone era of luxury, and hear the occasional tale of a ghost or movie star.

* Take time to explore the town of St. Andrews and browse in the charming shops and boutiques housed in historic buildings along Water Street before boarding the coach for your return to Saint John.

Note: A light lunch at the Fairmont Algonquin is included.

Archived