It Started: First Tropical Depression 1 has formed

Wennfred

11:04am ET

Tropical Depression 1 forms in the Atlantic

And so the 2009 Hurricane Season begins as Tropical Depression 1 has formed over the Atlantic Ocean. As of 11:00am ET, the storm was located approximately 310 miles south of Providence, Rhode Island.

The National Hurricane Center is forecasting this storm to develop into Tropical Storm Ana later this afternoon. At this time the storm is expected to remain over the open waters of the Atlantic for its duration.

We'll continue to update this story as it develops.

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/hurricanecentral/?from=TIW

atl_oce_sat_600x405.jpg

This is awesome. I live in Florida and look forward to hurricane season every year. There's nothing like being at the beach during a hurricane.

Like Ron White said

"Hurricanes are awesome...until sh*t starts hitting MY house."

I will be on carnival fascination June 4th headed to the Bahamas and I did a 10day forecast for Jacksonville,Nassau,Freeport and it suppose to rain! What a bomber! Hopefully it will change! But I will still enjoy the ship!

We are always so thankful when we get the homeowners renewal policy in our hands every

August!!!:eek:

I have been grateful in the past when the rate increased nearly $1000...as opposed to cancellation that is. I think you have to live here to understand the trauma of waiting for insurance renewals.

No wonder it's been lousy here all week. :p

It's been raining here for days and is supposed to continue through Sunday morning :(

When the storm is that far north, how the hell do they get away with calling it Tropical???

Wow...that's really early..its not even June yet:eek:.

Lets hope that most/all of them stay out to sea like this one...away from all land masses.

Is this even allowed to happen since it's not officially hurricane season yet?

:rolleyes:

I will be on carnival fascination June 4th headed to the Bahamas and I did a 10day forecast for Jacksonville,Nassau,Freeport and it suppose to rain! What a bomber! Hopefully it will change! But I will still enjoy the ship!

We have been to the Bahamas directly and by cruise and both times rain was predicted everyday while we were there.

The cruise departed from Miami and rain was predicted and it rained for maybe 15 minutes in the evening. Wasn't much and the rain wasn't the problem, the humidity was off the chart. :)

The day the cruise was in Nassau it was dry but a small rain shower came through as we were leaving in the evening.

The direct trip was 4 nights and like you I was watching the forecast and it showed rain everyday and it had me worried that our trip would be ruined. Turns out that it rained every afternoon / evening for a short time and then it was over. The days were sunny to partly sunny and hot.

Both of our trips were in June and we had a great time.

Have a great trip!

:confused:

We just our house back together from Ike. And as an earlier post states, got our Insurance Renewal lat week. Increased $700/year. G

otta love Texas... We have the highest insurance premiums in the National (Don't here much bragging about that being Bigger in Texas)

Not gonna stop me from booking cruises though . . . :D

That area of weather was off the NC coast a few days ago. Made for a nasty Memorial Day weekend.

Let's hope we don't get as bad as 2005. Mom and I cruised in Dec of 2005 and they were still naming storms. Besides Katrina and Wilma, that's the year we made it to Tropical Storm Zeta....on December 30 no less.:eek:

Hmm....I spent Memorial Day weekend in the Outer Banks of NC and it was beautiful everyday! We were there Thursday - Sunday (day before Mem day).

It is early for this type of storm.

Fred, since you asked...... the water temps in New England are running from the low to high 50's right now. http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/natl.html

Let me share a photo from the weekend. Sunset over Roanoke Sound in Nags Head, NC. No rain in sight! :)

IMG_0725.jpg

Ohh...that is beautiful. *sigh*. We had "something" causing all the rain in Charlotte....It has rained here everyday since last Friday I think. Sun now, but t-storms building already for this evening. It was all coming up from the southeast....whatever system that hit FL and caused so much problems. And I do remember the weather guys talking about watching the development of a system off the coast.

Archived