carriage rides in nassau

cota85

• 3 weeks later...

I wanted to revive this since I am looking for info after seeing Samantha Brown's cruise show Sat. night. Her friends went on a ride and were let off at the top of the Queens Staircase. Does anyone recommend doing this? How much and how long is the ride? I cannot find any current info on doing this.

Five years ago, my late husband and I took a carriage ride in Nassau. We had a wheelchair with us (he had lung disease and could not walk distances) and the carriage man was kind about carefully stowing the chair in back, and taking our photo with our camera for us, so we felt we were off to a good start.

He right off the bat asked if we wanted his deluxe, longer tour, and since my husband had been sick and not able to leave the ship before that port, we said yes. I think it might have been $40 for the two of us or $40 per person. Whatever, it felt like a ripoff afterward. It was not terribly long, and we strolled through some very boring, run-down neighborhoods. It did not include the Queen's Staircase (I never knew it existed until this year when I returned to Nassau again and took a ship's excursion) or anything that interesting.

I expect it is the luck of the draw, depending on the driver you get. Maybe one needs to bargain on the price.

I wanted to revive this since I am looking for info after seeing Samantha Brown's cruise show Sat. night. Her friends went on a ride and were let off at the top of the Queens Staircase. Does anyone recommend doing this? How much and how long is the ride? I cannot find any current info on doing this.

i thought I remember them being about $20 for 2 ppl (carriage is small.. you can't fit much more)..

Not sure they go to the queens staircase, as it's up a steep incline, and these horses barely make it around town.

Ride usually lasts about 20 minutes in all.

They are lined up outiside the port exit.

I did this 5 years ago or so. It was fun and worth it at the time, couldn't tell you about now.

I remember the guy giving us a choice between the long ride and the short ride. 20 minutes, 40 minutes???

$20.00 sounds right, can't remember if it was per person or what. Sorry. It was a nice ride. Glad I did it. :)

Archived