Choosing Epic Cabin

Mooder

I'll probably want a balcony (unless I hate my first in June - doubtful) - can't afford a suite - so it is all about location, I guess. Do we know yet if the aft cabins have larger balconies like the Jewel class ships? I don't know where to begin with so much information, but no reviews or first hand knowledge yet! Anyone with thoughts on balcony location? I will also have to give advice to my brother's family. They have always gone with an oceanview because they worry about my nephew's safety with a balcony and obviously that will not be an option. I'm telling them he's old enough now (he'll be 12 by then) to be trusted with a balcony, but they still may go for an inside.

Well, my daughter is going to be 12 on the Epic as well, and I chose a balcony directly across the corridor from the Recess kid's area. Your brother needs to give his son some credit! The only way to go over a cruise ship balcony is if you try, in my opinion. :) If he's really worried though, he can always make a rule that his son can't go out there without one of his parents.

That being said, I was going to book an inside until my mom agreed to join us, so it's not like that's not a viable option. I generally prefer to keep as much of my money as I can for all the extras I like to indulge in, and since I stay out of my cabin as much as I can, size is not generally an issue. My mom enjoys sitting out in the morning with her coffee, though, so we upgraded for her. :)

It sounds like that location is perfect for you, CT. I was trying to be nice and not say it, but I have to say my SIL babys my nephew and doesn't give him credit for ANYTHING, but I love them just the same. :) He's also too much of a mama's boy to ever go to Kids' Club. He went once, had a wonderful time, but he can't seem to remember that he enjoyed it. All he knows is that his mother is sending him away. It doesn't help that she talks about it as though it is punishment. Truth be told, she doesn't want him to go. Shhhhhhhhhhh..... ;)

Anyway (sorry for the rant), maybe things will change by next year. If they want an inside, I was thinking of getting a balcony and having them right across the hall. But side by side balconies would be more fun.

Not sure when you plan to cruise. I was poking around the booking engine yesterday and saw they had special pricing on the Spa balcony cabins. If the spa is your thing they would be an excellent choice.

Looking at the aft views and since it is almost vertical I would not expect the aft balcony to be any larger. All balconies are larger on the Epic then the Jewel class ships anyway.

I love the view from the aft cabins but with shaft drive instead of azipods I expect more vibration like the Spirit in the aft cabins. If you don't go aft then I would book a balcony near the elevators with the size of the ship.

Not sure when you plan to cruise. I was poking around the booking engine yesterday and saw they had special pricing on the Spa balcony cabins. If the spa is your thing they would be an excellent choice.

Looking at the aft views and since it is almost vertical I would not expect the aft balcony to be any larger. All balconies are larger on the Epic then the Jewel class ships anyway.

I love the view from the aft cabins but with shaft drive instead of azipods I expect more vibration like the Spirit in the aft cabins. If you don't go aft then I would book a balcony near the elevators with the size of the ship.

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of thought process I need to pursue - and my brain needs a kick-start :). (Like CT choosing one near Recess.) We love the spa so I agree that would be a way to go and it is only a tiny bit more than the regular balcony. I presume the access is along the lines of what a spa pass on the Jewel Class ship gets you? I had the same thought about the vertical drop in the aft but didn't realize Epic wouldn't have azipods. Our choice for oceanview has always been near the elevator and you are right it makes even more sense with such a large ship.

ETA: my brother has proposed a Christmas or New Year's cruise for December 2010/January 2011, though no decisions have been made.

My sister just pointed out to me we probably wouldn't use the spa as much on a Caribbean cruise. We liked it for our Fl/Bahamas cruise last February for those days closest to NYC, but the Epic leaving out of Miami means we'd probably spend more time on deck. Back to looking at regular balconies. :)

Thank you! That is exactly the kind of thought process I need to pursue - and my brain needs a kick-start :). (Like CT choosing one near Recess.) We love the spa so I agree that would be a way to go and it is only a tiny bit more than the regular balcony. I presume the access is along the lines of what a spa pass on the Jewel Class ship gets you? I had the same thought about the vertical drop in the aft but didn't realize Epic wouldn't have azipods. Our choice for oceanview has always been near the elevator and you are right it makes even more sense with such a large ship.

ETA: my brother has proposed a Christmas or New Year's cruise for December 2010/January 2011, though no decisions have been made.

Hey, I know an AWESOME 12 year old girl who will be on the December 18 - 25, 2010 sailing... :p

On the Pearl in January, there were two kids in the cabin beside ours and we bumped into their grandmother one afternoon (gave her a hand with her wheelchair), and she asked if our daughter was going to Kid's Crew. She explained that her grandkids were really reluctant to go, so we popped into our cabin and grabbed the schedule so they could have a look at it. When we saw her the next day she told us she'd hardly seen the kids since then! ha ha ha We also met a woman at the orientation who was getting the information, but who was unsure about whether her son would actually go, since he was so shy. Coincidentally, we bumped in to her - this time with her son - about an hour later, and we introduced him to my daughter and she encouraged him to join her at the club for the first night's festivities. When I inquired about him a couple of days later, she told me he'd been there every day. :)

So, basically, maybe all your nephew needs is a little push. I always recommend that kids go on the first night, so that even if they decide they don't like the club, at least they've got the best chance of meeting most of the kids on the cruise - and as long as you pick up a schedule, he can pick and choose when he wants to go. We take a highlighter and go through it the first night (their schedule is made up for the whole week) so we don't miss anything important. I also understand your sister in law's side of things, too, though... if she's anything like me, she looks forward to having free time on vacations to spend with her son when there's no school, no activities, no lessons, etc., like there are at home. I would love nothing more than to just hang out with my girl 24/7, but I figure it's her vacation too, and she really loves the Kid's Crew. We get to spend excellent quality time together on port days and we eat all our meals together and spend time in the pool, so it's all good. :)

Great idea, CT! I know things would be different if he had a friend encouraging him. Maybe 12/18 is the date for us! I do sympathize with the need for them to have vacation time together and we like to vacation with them. I just think my brother and SIL could use a little couple time too. He loves the shows so we (his aunts) have offered to take him to the show while they have a romantic dinner, but he never agrees. But I am sure as the teen years approach, he'll be more and more interested in meeting kids his own age.

Time2cruise1 how would you know this about shaft verses Azipods and why wouldn't they go with azipods when it makes turning on a dime so easy, just curious tks.

We chose the aft cabins for a few reasons:

1. Of all the reviews, and posts i've read, I always seem to hear people rave about the aft cabins. very rarly do I see a complaint about them.

2. we arn't smokers, and with only a fews cabin back there, the chances of the smoke bothering us is pretty low.

3. the 2 cuises we have been on together we have found the veiw to be better, you can see in more directions than on the side of the ship.

4, and the MOST important reason : the cabin # has our lucky numbers in it ! :D

Please excuse any typos or spelling mistakes, I'm a hunt and peck typer and frankly don't see how one's typing skills or lack of, has any reflection on one's intelligence. And as Clark Gable once said. "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" :eek::D

Wow, I would love to get a wonderful price on a Spa balcony. Where did you see the good prices? My dates are flexible.

Susan

I was looking at Jan/Feb 2011. I shows up in red as a special and it was just about the same price as a standard BA.

Jan 1 Spa - $1,069.00 Jan 15 $1,119.00

Time2cruise1 how would you know this about shaft verses Azipods and why wouldn't they go with azipods when it makes turning on a dime so easy, just curious tks.

There was a press release a long time ago by the company providing the engines. The recent pictures make it clear as they mount the prop on the shaft

Why? Reliability! Azipods have been a headache needed early drydocks for many cruise lines. I think the QM2 has 5 and lost one on her first world cruise missing half the ports.

18686.jpg

Great idea, CT! I know things would be different if he had a friend encouraging him. Maybe 12/18 is the date for us! I do sympathize with the need for them to have vacation time together and we like to vacation with them. I just think my brother and SIL could use a little couple time too. He loves the shows so we (his aunts) have offered to take him to the show while they have a romantic dinner, but he never agrees. But I am sure as the teen years approach, he'll be more and more interested in meeting kids his own age.

I'll look forward to seeing what you decide. :)

Archived