Question about Cococay snorkeling

Keep in mind that you have to rent the vest. If you try to snorkle without one, the lifeguards will direct you back to the beach to get one. Two years ago when we were there, my sister was snorkeling without one, and she swam out to where the airplane is and the lifeguard told her she needed one, but he had extras out there, and the just threw her one and told her to put it on. WHen we were there last week, they no longer have them out there, and she was told to get back to the beach and get one.

I have been snorkeling at Coco Cay twice and never have rented a vest or been asked/told to rent one. I have also snorkeled outside the buoys (which I know I was not supposed to do) and no one ever said a word. Last time I was there, I dove for a large (uninhabited) conch shell, which I brought home as a souvenir.

I'm bringing my own snorkeling gear but I'm wondering if you can rent ONLY a snorkel vest on Cococay.

If so, does anyone know the rental cost for just the vest?

Thanks for your response!

I hate the vests, but I was always told they were mandatory.

I am doing the same thing - bringing my gear, but I dont have a vest. I have seen a whole range of costs (like in this thread) but the most were listed at $6.

I have also heard that since it is a requirement for RCI - and if you dont sign up for the excursions, they hand them out at no cost. I have a hard time believing this since it is a way to make money - but I am just throwing out what I have heard.

30 Days and I am off snorkeling in Cococay myself. . .cant wait to look for the plane, the replica wrecks and praying hard that I see a ray . . .

Archived