Cave Tubing in Belize?

wesb0b

If you are referring to why Carnival doesn't offer it anymore, last October/November a woman passenger drowned while on a Carnival cave tubing excursion and so, they canceled them. I would head over to the Belize Port of Call thread and check out what private companies people are recommending :)

If you are referring to why Carnival doesn't offer it anymore, last October/November a woman passenger drowned while on a Carnival cave tubing excursion and so, they canceled them. I would head over to the Belize Port of Call thread and check out what private companies people are recommending :)

Not saying it didn't happen but i cant see how that could happen. 99% of the time the water is waist deep and you could stand up. In fact the company i went with the saying is "Butts up" cause if you butt is sagging 12 inches into the water you will run aground.

There are a couple of private companies - and it is a great tour.

We did this excursion on our own with www dot cave-tubbing dot com. They were FANTASTIC! We got to go farther in to the jungle and were in the water longer (more caves) than the excursion with the cruise line. We recognized table mates who were in the cave with the ship's group and they were disappointed in the money they paid and what they got vs what we did.

I recommend these folks highly!

I second that! when we went, one thing i noticed is Carnival left you off at the river and you were on your own - guides placed strategically in the river, but not with you the whole time. Cavetubing dot com had the guides with you the entire trip - and even had to help out some of the carnival tubers when they got stuck!

That's terrible. We went with Carnival in 2007 and had a blast!!!! Our boys asked if we were doing it again and we told them that it is in Belize not Grand Cayman. Our guides were with us the whole way and we had a great time. Too bad they don't offer it any more.:D:D

:DWe got back two weeks ago from Belize on the Carnival Freedom. I wanted to book the cave tubing with the ship and when I went to the excursion desk was told they did not offer it and he told he they had had a fatality and did not offer it anymore. We booked with Major Tom through the internet and he got right back with us. We had 8 people with 2 guides. The water was pretty low and we had to do the butts up a few times but we really enjoyed it with Major Tom. He is first about safety.

Everyone is required to wear a life vest. The women that died did not have a life vest on, they were not hooked together and they only had 1 guide for 50 people and the river was very high. Carnival was warned that day that it was dangerous but they chose to go anyway. The women hit her head on the rock in the cave, no one saw her, she did not have her life vest on, the water was moving very fast, she fell out of the tube and drowned. There were too many people in the cave at the same time and not hooked together and by the time they found her she had already drowned.

We felt very safe with Major Tom and I would highly recommend them.

Cave tubing-com is also good. They were right behind us and had more people.

The company that held the tour that day is being sued by the family of the women that passed away as well as Carnival is also being sued.

The company lost their excursion license.

Just a little info. :(

Archived