sled dog experience without helicopter

pagalandguy

We are cruising the inside passage in late August and trying to figure out which excursions to take. I think we have already decided on the Haines Alpine Explorer at the Skagway port (driving a "mule" sounds like fun) and the Misty Fjords Boat and Floatplane in Ketchikan (brave for a nervous flyer). I really wanted to do the sled dog/musher camp but the helicopter choice is going to be out of my budget. Has anyone done the tour that does not include the helicopter? Is the "ground" experience kind of lame? I'm a "dog lover" and would really like to see these dogs and puppies. Any advice on any of these would be appreciated. This is our first Alaska cruise and we're very excited. Thanks!

We have done both the Summer Camp in Skagway, and also the cart rides at Caribou Crossing. Both are a LOT of fun and well worth it. As Yukon says, at Caribou Crossing a visit to the camp is included in the admission to the museum. The cart rides are extra, but very reasonably priced. We made a reservation, but if you time your visit to arrive after 1:00, when the tour buses leave, you probably don't need one.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/sapphire2.html

and

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived