Anyone aboard the Spirit 10/24?

Martita B.

A note to all: Although I am infamous for being a "bad packer" (as in Too Much), Robbie has forbidden me to take anything but one dress, one pants suit, and a nightgown. As this is an impossibility (at least for moi), I believe it's her strategy to make me plan my clothing in a more prudent manner.

Janie Lou

This is so much fun and we haven't even got there yet! Aggh... don't worry Janie Lou do not fret, Robbie will be giving me the same "talking to"!! You and I will get our heads together soon.....Mr Rapunzal says tell Mr Foxy "Great" - we guys are going to have to stick together...

Hosted tables, handsome men, Sky Bar and Mustering! It's all so fantastic I can hardly wait!

Foxy - Isolde and Rapunzal's Salon are at your disposal and our rates are reasonable ;)

Martita, so looking forward to hearing all your cruising stories at the Sky Bar and elsewhere, you will be an expert on the Quizzes! so we need you on our Team! :cool:

Rapunzal aka Anne

Anne

After muster we'll see you at the Sky Bar ~~I'll be perched on my stool ~~far right, by the bar service kitchen and JB will be sittin' on my left.

I am thrilled Nick Hale will be aboard!:D He is truly a professional but is so personable! As I don't play Trivia I'm wondering if Nick will schedule games ~~ only 2 sea days.

Robbie ~~I'll find out who our Hot Man will be .......Guenter & Vitor are Odyssey, "Lulu" aboard the Pride ~~Joerg aboard the Legend??

Seabourn has a new Hotel MG from Ireland but I've not sailed with him.

Janie Lou, go ahead and pack/bring what you want!!! I always pack too much ~~many times I have given clothes to my Stewardess and her "roomie" ~~

Happy weekend!

MB

Hi Nancy, So glad you are with us on the Spanish Gems cruise. Looking forward to meeting you.

My my, we are gonna need one of the tender boats to go alongside to carry JL's luggage now that Martita has given her free rein.

Looks like we have a handle on the flights arriving Rome Oct 21. Now I need to book the rooms in Rome and arrange our transport to the ship.

This is going to be a great trip, Seabourn never disappoints.

We have sailed with Joerg on three cruises on both the Pride and Legend so perhaps he floats over to the Spirit on occasion, it would be fun to see him again.

Martita is there a certain libation the lady from West Texas enjoys or are you open to the drink of the day? Robbie

Robbie

For luncheon I drink Pimms Cup 2 with Ginger Ale ~~my favorite drink is a good full bodied red wine ~~I'm hoping the Sommelier will have Compass Navigator, a red from Chile. I don't drink anything with a 'lit paper umbrella on top! :confused: Sometimes I enjoy Champagne and orange juice in the mornings ~~if it's hot a nice icy Mojito is refreshing!

What's your favorite!

MB

Hi Martita,

No umbrellas for me either, just a beer drinker, but I do it well. Not sure I know what a Pimms is but I might have to give it a try, I like ginger ale.

Our friend Anne loves the Champers, and she gets to indulge herself on Seabourn with that special treat.

Cheers Robbie

Martita, drinks with umbrellas in! too funny! I know what you mean!! You'll get on famously with my husband who loves his full bodied red wine and I'm sure Mr Foxy too. Jim and I have shared a glass or two of Chardonnary before, not sure if he likes red though does he Robbie? Pimms is a lovely, refreshing summer drink and a favourite over here in England at BBQs or whilst watching cricket! Now, there's a conversation for Dinner ;)

I'll explain the history of the Pimms drink in September Robbie. Me...now let me think? Robbie got it in one, I do love champagne and Seabourn does have lovely champagne!

So The Sky Bar it is for Pimms, Bud Light (pre-ordered and cooled), VO for Janie and champers for me! There maybe a little something for the guys too :D What fun for sail-away!

For those Spirit Sailor's that are planning to "tour on your own" in Malaga (Oct 30th) it would be a good idea to book a private car. I did some research and found there will be mega ships calling on Malaga ~~approximately 5,000 guests. A Taxi will be impossible to "hail" on the 30th.

I reserved a car/driver last week.

I am hoping we are lucky and won't dock as far away from the cruise terminal as we did last Oct. ~~

Martita B.

As we all know, pick pocketing and theft in Spain is rampant and going unchecked ~~ I'm not an alarmist but I thought I'd just remind you to be extremely careful while touring 'around the stops.

I plan on taking a few dollar's and perhaps one credit card ashore.

I'll leave everything else locked in the suite safe.

I recently learned of "Tilley Endurables" clothing ~~great for traveling as the garments have lots of zippered pockets, etc.

See 'ya aboard ~

MB

Oh Martita I wish we didn't know what you are talking about so personally. When we were in Lisbon before our cruise last April Mr Foxy got his wallet stolen whilst riding the famous tram 28. What a mess that was to get cleaned up, Seabourn purser and hot man Joerg helped us get some cash but we learned a valuable lesson (I hope) Thanks for the warning. Robbie

Robbie

I know of a few Sailor's that have been pick-pocketed in Spain and I thought I'd just remind everyone ~~perhaps we ladies should purchase handy bra (Dan, am I allowed to say "bra? "he he) safety money pouches. I am so sorry for Mr. Foxy's loss ......we certainly don't need any repeats!

Let's all just keep vigilant and stay alert while ashore.

MB

Robbie

I know of a few Sailor's that have been pick-pocketed in Spain and I thought I'd just remind everyone ~~perhaps we ladies should purchase handy bra (Dan, am I allowed to say "bra? "he he) safety money pouches. I am so sorry for Mr. Foxy's loss ......we certainly don't need any repeats!

Let's all just keep vigilant and stay alert while ashore.

MB

Martha, good idea about the "bra" thing! I once put a lot of money there when I went shopping in Amsterdam (years ago) and now comes the funny thing: I nearly lost it, because the first thing I went to buy was a new bra by coincidence. I never meant to, but saw a lovely set in a window. Luckily I just noticed the 1000 Dutch Guilders note as I left the fitting room........! So beware!

Another thing I really want to warn you for in Spain are the gypsy girls who approach you with red or pink carnations and offer those to you in order to get some money. They usually tell you it is because it is "fiesta". Stay away from them as far as possible, because their intention is not that you give them some coins, but to rob you! They really are like magicians and I know this for a fact, because some years ago while I was with René, it happened to me. I told René I didn't want to give them something, but he was too kind and said I should give them at least 100 pesetas. By the time I wanted to pay for our lunch, I noticed they had taken all my paper money from my wallet, that I was holding in my hand with my other hand on top! And they still do it even though the police are more after them than ever! So beware again!

Marja

Yes, I know of the gypsy girls selling flowers. Also children are used to distract the tourist ~~while their money is stolen.

I use to have a white satin bra money pouch that had a safety snap (snapped in the bra) ~~surely wish I still had it.

While calling on several Spanish cities last Oct. I don't remember seeing gypsies ~~hmmm??

MB

I agree, forewarned is forearmed as they say. I remember being quite nervous when we stayed in Barcelona for a few days walking up and down Las Ramblas - so many distractions there, quite tiring just keeping your wits about you. I tended to use a waist bag underneath my top etc instead of using my usual handbag. So sad we have to go to these lengths, but we have a lot of problems with pickpockets in London too! especially in the tourist areas and along Oxford Street It seems nowhere is immune...the bra idea or similar sounds good for keeping some money in though, will look into that...

I ordered a "Travel Money Pouch" today from Amazon.com. It's black, small and fits around the waist. It was even on sale for $7.99. I decided I needed a secure place to keep money, a credit card and an I.D. when going ashore in Spain.

Better safe than sorry ~~~

MB

There will be just 2 sea days for Trivia ~~I'm sure the CD will schedule games up in the Observation Lounge. You may want to get a team together during the Sky Bar sail away.

I believe we have only one formal evening for the voyage ~~

Cheers!

Martita B.

Hi Martita, I read on another thread that you have used Stefano from Rome Cabs as your driver in Rome. We used him and several of his drivers when we had my then 86 year old mother with us for our three days in Rome before our first Seabourn Spirit cruise in 2005. I was hoping to book him to take us from the hotel to port on the 24th, we have 5 in our group. Would you be interested in joining us for the ride? I see on his website that he has a van for 8. Robbie

What weather should be expected during this cruise? And, does it make sense to sign up for excursions in advance? And, any necessary information you could provide that is not covered by the Seabourn website or brochure. I know that is a very general question, but basically I would like to know tips for enjoying the cruise that are not otherwise provided in Seabourn literature and were learned by a cruising experience.

Archived