Inexpensive Hotel near San Pedro Cruise Terminal

dennis46

We will be cruising on the Caribbean Princess out of San Pedro for a Christmas 2009 cruise. I have tenetatively booked the Vagabond hotel on Gaffney St which is 1 mile from the San Pedro Cruise Terminal. I have had suggestions for the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree but they are a little more expensive.

Any suggestions or opinions on the Vagabond or other inexpensive hotels in the area???

Thanks,

Dennis

We will be cruising on the Caribbean Princess out of San Pedro for a Christmas 2009 cruise. I have tenetatively booked the Vagabond hotel on Gaffney St which is 1 mile from the San Pedro Cruise Terminal. I have had suggestions for the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree but they are a little more expensive.

Any suggestions or opinions on the Vagabond or other inexpensive hotels in the area???

Thanks,

Dennis

Really don't stay at the Vagabond...

Or any other cheap hotels there.

Check the "Sticky" on the top of this page (and/or do a search) on Priceline bidding.

You can only get Crowne Plaza

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=601984

or Doubletree

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=602015

If you follow the directions and do that...

It's a far, far better option for you.

Thanks,

Dennis

The Caribbean Princess will not be in Los Angeles in December 2009. It will be in San Juan. The Caribbean Princess is too big to fit through the Panama Canal, so it would have to sail all the way around South America.

I think we Pricelined the Crown Plaza for something like $80 for our Feb/March cruise. Rooms were clean, the hotel was quiet, and the shuttle was free and prompt. There is also a starbucks and a few little interesting stores nearby.

The Caribbean Princess will not be in Los Angeles in December 2009. It will be in San Juan. The Caribbean Princess is too big to fit through the Panama Canal, so it would have to sail all the way around South America.

Sorry, it is the Golden Princess!!!

Dennis

I think we Pricelined the Crown Plaza for something like $80 for our Feb/March cruise. Rooms were clean, the hotel was quiet, and the shuttle was free and prompt. There is also a starbucks and a few little interesting stores nearby.

I just checked Priceline and it is $153!!!

Dennis

I just checked Priceline and it is $153!!!

Dennis

I'm not sure how you checked, but we went through the bidding process ("name your own price"). It took a few tries, but it eventually came down. I also would recommend waiting until closer to the travel date to bid. Also, the holidays might mean that it will never come down to $80 again, but I would think maybe $100 if you keep trying.

Dennis,

They are not talking about a straight booking through Priceline, but the BIDDING thing--where you BID on a hotel by the location and number of stars and the price you are willing to pay...and then, if you get it, you are committed...

If you bid 3.5 stars in San Pedro, there are only two hotels--the CP and the Doubletree--which fit the criteria...if your bid is accepted, you will get one of those...Most people report getting accepted with bids from $65 to $80--depends on time of year, etc.

In my view, those are the ONLY two hotels in San Pedro I would stay in...

I have learned, as I get older, that cheapest is not always best...and that it's often worth paying a few extra dollars for a nicer hotel...The vagabond is pretty seedy...the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are nice, clean, classy hotels...

Dennis,

They are not talking about a straight booking through Priceline, but the BIDDING thing--where you BID on a hotel by the location and number of stars and the price you are willing to pay...and then, if you get it, you are committed...

If you bid 3.5 stars in San Pedro, there are only two hotels--the CP and the Doubletree--which fit the criteria...if your bid is accepted, you will get one of those...Most people report getting accepted with bids from $65 to $80--depends on time of year, etc.

In my view, those are the ONLY two hotels in San Pedro I would stay in...

I have learned, as I get older, that cheapest is not always best...and that it's often worth paying a few extra dollars for a nicer hotel...The vagabond is pretty seedy...the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are nice, clean, classy hotels...

Thanks for the explanation Steve. I have never used Priceline and your info is very helpful.

Thanks also to Seattle Girl for your help.

Thanks again for your quick and helpful replies.

Dennis

Hmmm, I have not stayed at the Vagabond Inn so I can't comment on its merits, but the park and cruise price is much better than the Crown Plaza (I looked a date in December pre-cruise and it was $199 vs $107, and Crown wanted to charge an extra $5pp and I have 2 kids). As far as the neighborhood, they are within 6 blocks of each other, so the neighborhood is essentially the same. I would see what TripAdvisor says and seriously consider them, especially if you are only staying one night.

Also, I did recently enjoy my stay at DoubleTree, however their shuttle service from the pier is severely lacking. They have only 2 small vans (10 people) going back and forth, so the wait was over an hour to get back to the hotel after the cruise. Some people may have waited longer. I like the idea of the Vagabond and the Crowne Plaza because those hotels are within walking distance (at least its walking distance to me) from the pier, so I get to skip the whole shuttle business all together.

Hmmm, I have not stayed at the Vagabond Inn so I can't comment on its merits, but the park and cruise price is much better than the Crown Plaza (I looked a date in December pre-cruise and it was $199 vs $107, and Crown wanted to charge an extra $5pp and I have 2 kids). As far as the neighborhood, they are within 6 blocks of each other, so the neighborhood is essentially the same. I would see what TripAdvisor says and seriously consider them, especially if you are only staying one night.

Also, I did recently enjoy my stay at DoubleTree, however their shuttle service from the pier is severely lacking. They have only 2 small vans (10 people) going back and forth, so the wait was over an hour to get back to the hotel after the cruise. Some people may have waited longer. I like the idea of the Vagabond and the Crowne Plaza because those hotels are within walking distance (at least its walking distance to me) from the pier, so I get to skip the whole shuttle business all together.

Steve,

We are on the same thought process. I checked about the 1st 10 reviews on Trip Advisor for the Vagabond and they all were very positive with no negatives!!!!

I did a mapquest and it shows it is 1.1 mile to the pier by driving. Don't know if it would be any shorter walking??

I appreciate the comments and I am still looking for someone who has stayed at the Vagabond recently!!!!

Dennis

Steve,

We are on the same thought process. I checked about the 1st 10 reviews on Trip Advisor for the Vagabond and they all were very positive with no negatives!!!!

I did a mapquest and it shows it is 1.1 mile to the pier by driving. Don't know if it would be any shorter walking??

I appreciate the comments and I am still looking for someone who has stayed at the Vagabond recently!!!!

Dennis

Dennis...

You can't trust Tripadvisor. I know each and every hotel in Los Angeles, and half the time the reviews on TripAdvisor don't match up at all.

There are hotels like Vagabond which may have some recent good reviews (you only read the first 10); and others which are great hotels seem to have idiot people with vendetta bad reviews.

You've got a bunch of people here on Cruise Critic, who specially are locals like me and BruinSteve who know the areas and each and every good block and bad block.

You also have lots of professional cruisers, who almost unanimously prefer Crowne Plaza and Doubletree.

The reviews on here from Vagabond, are that it's loud, noisy, and generally "low classy".

I've been there, researched it, seen it and I wouldn't stay there myself.

If that's okay for you then go for it.

I just wish you would listen to us...

Do a Priceline bid (again, check the Sticky at the top for all of the info you need) and you'll get Crowne Plaza or Doubletree for less than $100.

Did you click on my pictures and reviews above to see the hotels?

And you get what you pay for...

And you can't tell anything from Mapquest.

Just like in lots of areas of Los Angeles, Chicago, and Manhattan - 6 blocks can make a big difference in neighborhoods!

In this case, 6th Street (and 7th) that Crown Plaza is on is on a great gentrified section of San Pedro. Cool restaurants, shops, boutiques, view of the water.

Vagabond is on gaffey (main loud traffic street) further apart from the gentrified nice area, and not much worthwhile around it.

In this specific case, 6 blocks equal the difference between cool new, gentrified, hip San Pedro - and old, loud, industrial San Pedro.

You all actually think that it's going to be so easy peasy to walk to either Crowne Plaza or Vagabond dragging luggage, after the cruise, uphill (especially) to Vagabond!:eek:

It sounds like you left the cruise at high time with everyone else, so all shuttles from everywhere are in demand.

I've never had to wait that long. Never more than ten minutes.

My advice remains the same, if you are okay with lower class, noisy, kinda cheap-o then go ahead with Vagabond.

If you insist that you both want it, then go ahead.

But, take a little more effort, learn to bid on Priceline, and just get one of the only two NICE hotels in the area. For less money.

I'm not sure how much more I can tell you.

There aren't any recent Vagabond Inn reviews, because barely anyone chooses to stay there. When 99% of the people are choosing NOT to stay there, doesn't that tell you that it's not that great?

Okay, there's my advice, based on knowing all of the neighborhoods and the hotels.

I don't know what more I can say.

Good luck with whatever you decide.:D

I know from living near the Beverly Center that you can walk a few blocks in one direction and be in a safe neighborhood and walk a few blocks in a different direction and realize you should leave in a New York minute. Even in the Valley, there are decent neighborhoods and ones right around the corner with video cams installed to catch the drug deals plus gang graffiti. Mapquest doesn't give you this info, and sometimes does put addresses at the wrong locale. It's probably right 90 per cent of the time, but I have found mistakes, including my own address (by a half mile).

Also, I wouldn't want to drag my luggage to a hotel by walking from the pier. You'll have to go across the whole parking lot just to leave the area. And San Pedro isn't exactly flat.

can't speak for Xmas time but we used priceline name your own price and got the Crowne Plaza for $73 for a night in October... in a strange town, where you haven't been before, I rely on others opinions to help me decide where to stay and I am happy with my choice and price....

Marsha

I live near San Pedro, and was on Gaffey just a couple weeks ago (had breakfast at a very good Mexican hole in the wall, but I forgot the name of the place). While I've never stayed at any of these hotels, I would not stay at the Vagabond just based on it's location on Gaffey. Gaffey is one of the extensions of the 110 freeway and the main thoroughfare in San Pedro- the stores and restaurants are older, and look a bit run down.

I've been to several weddings at the Doubletree, and been in the area around Crowne Plaza, and would recommend either of them based on location.

I understand that Priceline is great, but it doesn't include parking. A poster said it's $10 a day to park at Crowne Plaza during your cruise, so $65 becomes $135 if parking is included in a 1 week cruise.

I understand that Priceline is great, but it doesn't include parking. A poster said it's $10 a day to park at Crowne Plaza during your cruise, so $65 becomes $135 if parking is included in a 1 week cruise.

The Vagabond rate includes parking for the week?

we stayed at the vagabond and it was fine.....no problems friendly service....parking was tight but aways found a space....:rolleyes:

The Vagabond rate includes parking for the week?

we would not do the park and cruise from the vagabond....they take you there but will not pick you up....;)

Yes, the Vagabond Inn does have a rate that includes parking for the week (that's the $107 I was quoting). You can always take a taxi after the cruise if you don't want to walk back to the hotel. As I said, the DoubleTree shuttle doesn't work well, it took us over an hour to get one.

I checked about the 1st 10 reviews on Trip Advisor for the Vagabond and they all were very positive with no negatives!!!!

Well, I've checked it all out (in person) and I see what is going on now.

Vagabond Inn has had negative reviews on trip advisor and here for quite a while.

Let's check a few negatives from the past 6 months shall we?

"The only complaint was of other guests who arrived late and carried on a loud conversation just outside our door.

The shuttle service could be improved. I eventually walked to the dock because the wait was just too long for the shuttle".

"The cost was less than another hotel stay plus parking at the pier but it was hardly worth it.

The room was clean but dark and not at all attractive. I could not get help bringing my bags to the room.

The room faced the street and was pretty noisy".

"We had a back room on the 3rd floor. We started to get worried when someone rode the elevator with us and cautioned us that the hotel wasn't safe, especially in the back.

The people in the room next to us were, shall we say, party animals. Not only did they scream, yell and play music through the night, but their friends drove by and honked their horns loudly several times in the wee hours".

"The neighborhood itself felt unsafe, and nothing could convince us to stay at this hotel again. It was clean, I'll say that for it, and only $75. But the next night we moved to the Double Tree. Need I say more"?

"For your money you'll get a tattered, somewhat dirty, smelly and loud room above a busy road full of noisy traffic. In the morning you'll have the most meager and perfunctory of continental breakfasts - juice coffee and donuts - no fresh fruit, toast, etc. It's a rough neighborhood too. While you're away, your car will be left out in an open unguarded parking lot.

It's a shame that the choices right now seem to be very nice but way high end waterfront places like the DoubleTree or dumpster dives like this".

"stinky smoke smell even though room nonsmoking, and cheap hotel/motel look and feel".

So, I'm not wrong and I'm not crazy in what I've seen at this hotel.

What I can see, is that they have a long term bad reputation.

The new managers realize this so have given it new carpets and flat screen TVs. In addition, suddenly out of almost nowhere - there are continual good reviews flowing in. Basically, the managers have enthusiastically encouraged (begging?) people to go to trip advisor and give them good reviews and ratings.

This has given a surge of conveniently good reviews in the past two months that fill up the first few pages. So people like Dennis, just read the first 10 and only see all good.;) Smart, yet slightly tricky move on the part of the managers.

So, they're trying...

Would I still choose this hotel to recommend or stay at?

No. New carpets, TVs, and managers schmoozing their best don't change the negatives about the hotel.

They can't change any of these negatives:

It's still in a busy, noisy area of San Pedro.

The hotel does tend to attract loud people, in a lot of cases.

Because of it's easy proximity to cheaper residences and the lower price, it's commonly used as party rooms for local parties.

There aren't any great restaurants around. Extra $$ for cabs to go anywhere.

No shuttle back from pier. Extra $ for that.

and regarding the shuttle comment:

As I said, the DoubleTree shuttle doesn't work well, it took us over an hour to get one.

As I said before, I think this is a case at any hotel, if you are timing yourself in the big rush with everyone else...

It happens at Vagabond as well:

"The shuttle service could be improved. I eventually walked to the dock because the wait was just too long for the shuttle".

So actual $ calculations:

Vagabond Inn does have a rate that includes parking for the week (that's the $107 I was quoting).

So, lets add the $10 cab ride to get back to your car from the pier and Vagabond Inn becomes $117. And that's not including the sometimes where Vagabond Inn is higher (up to $145).

But, benefit of the doubt - the difference is then about $18 more for Crowne Plaza or Doubletree.

But at Crowne Plaza or Doubletree you get a much safer, quieter, classier hotel.

You get a parking lot that is not "open" to the neighborhood and all the local partiers that drive by and frequent the hotel.

You get security guards and cameras continually monitoring your car.

You've got much nicer restaurants and things in walking distance for the night and morning before.

Can Vagabond be an okay experience on occasion for people who aren't picky? Sure. It's still closer to the cheap, noisy, unsafe end of hotels.

Do I still personally think it's a great choice or option in the area?

No. Not when you get far, far, more bang for your buck for approximately $18 more at the other hotels.

That's my point on all of this. Do you want to stay at Vagabond?

Go right ahead. You have all the information; forewarned is forearmed.

But for me, $18 more bucks is worth much nicer hotels, neighborhoods, and restaurants. Not to mention a safer environment for myself, and especially the security of my car.

That's it. That's all I've been trying to say this entire time, so this way it's here now for anyone reading in the future.

Good luck everyone!:D

Archived