Jewel Of The Seas - Just off 12/12/03

DON2

Just returned from a very nice cruise on the Jewel from 12/4/04 to 12/12/04.

All in all the cruise was very satisfactory. Only a few ripples. On arriving in the ports a awaiting an annoucement over the PA system that the ship was cleared and you could go ashore. Never heard announcements. Just watched the gangway and when people started leaving ship we joined them. The Tides dining room needs some very close attention. Service at breakfast time was very poor. Took over one and a half hours to eat breakfast. Was seated promptly and the the wait began. No one approached the table to ask what we wanted. Had to flag down a head waiter and ask for service. This is NOT the way to run a dining room. Tables that had been used and then reset for more guests were not set properly. Not enough glasses, silver, and other table settings were missing. Had to ask for pastry, juice, more coffee, etc. Not even minimum standards. One lady at our table ordered dry breakfast cereal and ask to have sliced bananas. Was told by the waiter "Sorry, we are out of bananas" If the person ordering supplies for the dining room would have been nearby he would have heard an earful. This did not supprise me as last year on the Summit, we "ran out" of all things, drinking straws, and small napkins used in the bars. Must have read the book, How to Cut Corners and Save Money. Top brass, TAKE NOTE. Nuff said. Other than a few things, Food good. Most service Good. Ship very clean. Cabin attendants did a fine job.

Sorry to hear the dining room service is still lacking. I did the repo in October and literally chose to dine at portofinos and chops most of the cruise and did the Windjammer the rest. We had run out of Budwesier three questers of the way thru the cruise as well as fresh milk. The ship is very beautiful. I think they have to very much review the goings on in the dining rooms.

Weary Traveler

of my Splendour cruise earlier this year had to do with a toilet thing. Many of the men's public restrooms (as beautiful as they were) smelled incessantly of

urine..VERY strong. It did not matter what time of day or whether they had just been serviced. Then the last morning during debarkation, all hell broke loose.probably because of heavy use while people waited for their color, and the toilets overflowed..whew.........not pretty. When I mentioned something to the maintenace (two very nice caribbean ladies, mon!) they said they were also aware of the permanant urine smell and that technical maintenance

could not figure it out..oh well.

Mitch

wow - we were on the jewel 11/14-20 - never noticed any of the things the op complained about. but then again we're not picky and were just thankful to be on vacation. sorry you thought the service in the dr was poor - why not just go to the windjammer???? guess it's hard to totally please some people - hope you're satisfied on the next cruise, maybe it will be perfect! if so let us know - although we already found our perfect cruise! i'd be so thankful just to be on another one - we had to save $ for seven years to go on this one we certainly weren't going to find fault with every "minor" detail! happy sailing!!

DON2 I appreciate you including some of the negatives to what you otherwise referred to as a "very nice cruise" in the first sentance of your post. This way people can have a realistic expectation and may end up not being fazed by a similar occurance, thinking, Oh I read this could happen, oh well, and move on. I find it funny that people have to post things to negate or minimize what you found to be a negative. It is OK to mention negative things people! It is just part of the observations that are made along with all the positives.

Sueb, there was still a sewer smell on the ship when I sailed 12/4/04 - 12/12/04.

Trip was okay, however, way too many older folks for my liking. Nothing against older people, however, oftentimes they were rude and took a long time to get up from the tables in the Windjammer. There wasn't anywhere for many people to sit because of this.

There were wheelchairs everywhere and oftentimes you could not get onto an elevator because the wheelchairs took up so much space. Someone even rolled back on my foot with a wheelchair and didn't even know they did because they never looked back before they moved the wheelchair.

The drinks seemed like they were watered down for the price in the Schooner Bar and at the Sky Bar, i.e., apple martini made with grey goose vodka, $8.50.

DJ was great, played a good variety of music. The windjammer's food was cold often, however, had several things to choose from. Stir fry was my favorite.

The ship rocked quite a bit and frequently. I am not prone to get sea sick, however, I felt like I was going to fall a couple of times because the ship rocked really hard.

Food was good at Chops, chocolate buffet good, and the gala buffet was great. The presentation was exquisite.

My cabin seward was great. When the ship docked at each island, it was difficult sometimes finding the gangway as there was no clear direction on how to get there, especially if the gangway was on deck 2, forward.

Over all I had a great time and yes I would sail with RRCL again.

Archived