South Pacific cruise on MS Voldendam

Vader1111

My friends and I are considering doing a South Pacific cruise on the MS Voldendam this summer (Jan 2010). We're aged in our mid-late 30s.

We've previously cruised with P&O (Pacific Sun & Dawn) and enjoyed ourselves. We're thinking that the Voldendam might offer us something slightly different.

My biggest concern is that Holland America seem to aim their cruises at the older market (70+). However, I also note that most of the posts on this subject are regarding cruises in European and North American waters. The Australian market is somewhat different, particularly during school holidays.

We're not into heavy drinking sessions or night-clubbing all night, but we also don't want to be the youngest people onboard by 30-40 years.

Would other cruisers recommend the MS Voldendam for our needs?

My friends and I are considering doing a South Pacific cruise on the MS Voldendam this summer (Jan 2010). We're aged in our mid-late 30s.

We've previously cruised with P&O (Pacific Sun & Dawn) and enjoyed ourselves. We're thinking that the Voldendam might offer us something slightly different.

My biggest concern is that Holland America seem to aim their cruises at the older market (70+). However, I also note that most of the posts on this subject are regarding cruises in European and North American waters. The Australian market is somewhat different, particularly during school holidays.

We're not into heavy drinking sessions or night-clubbing all night, but we also don't want to be the youngest people onboard by 30-40 years.

Would other cruisers recommend the MS Voldendam for our needs?

You will have as much fun as you allow yourself to have on the HAL cruises. There is as much or as little to do as you wish and although some of the activities do cater to an older crowd, we have seen many 30 somethings enjoying themselves on the HAL cruises we've made. It may be a somewhat older clientelle and some of them may retire totheir cabins quite early but I think you will find many younger adults there also.

Enjoy your trip to the South Pacific. That is one of the destinations we are still looking forward to.

HAL will be nothing like P&O Australia, IMO that's a good thing! I'm sure there will be other people around your age. This cruise is being marketed in the US, so I'm guessing that it will be more or less the same demographic as normal HAL sailings.

The Volendam is a fantastic ship and the itinerary is excellent. I'd give it a whirl to see what you think, then you'll see if HAL is the right fit before you book cruises further afield and factor in an expensive airfare. I'd take into account that you'll be paying onboard in US, at the moment the exchange rate is good (80 Aussie cents to the US Dollar).

I'm from Australia, so there's no (international) airfare involved. I did note that the onboard charges are in USD rather than AUD. At least our exchange rate is improving rapidly - it was around 98c before the global financial crisis hit, dropped to the low 60s and has now risen again to just over 80. Might be getting close to parity again by the time the cruise sails.

What are the onboard charges like on the Voldendam, compared to the P&O ships? Excluding exchange rate considerations, are they cheaper or more expensive?

I have been on P&O and HAL. HAL was certainly a more refined cruiseline but the cruise we were on wasn't a geriatric cruise. I think that the timing and the location of the Volendam has a lot to do with it. With an Island cruise in January I believe you will have a wide range of ages. Our Xmas cruise had plenty of children but not overwhelming and we met a lot of people with similar interests. We are 38/48 with a 12yo.

At the moment we are booked on the Xmas cruise again and I also hope that we may be able to make this one too.

Prices onboard weren't too expensive. Certainly will be better this time if the dollars stays up for us. They used to have happy hours and a few times had buy one get one free beers. They were popular with the Aussies! :)

You could also ask for info over in the P&O Australia threads. Although that is the title, they talk about any Aussie related cruising over there.

Each of the cruise lines out of Australia offer a different experience. It is a good idea to read all the reviews specific to the region to get an idea about what each cruise will be like.

The HAL ships are marketed at a more "mature" clientele, than some other lines. We are in our 30's and have never minded the crowd...

Enjoy choosing - the research is half the fun!!!

:D:D:D

We have done the South Pacific cruise many times. On several R&S class ships. On the longer cruises of 30 days or more there are very few younger pax. Generally, persons not of retirement age cannot take that many days off at once.

You didn't mention the length of your cruise but in 3/10 we are taking the Rotterdam for the 33 day Hawaii/South Pacific. If it is the longer cruise, there won't be many younger pax.

We've just booked this - we're a couple in their late 30's with two children. My theory was any 2 week cruise in early January would have lots of families on it so will probably have a younger crowd than some HAL cruises. The fact that the 4 share cabins are nearly sold out seems to support this theory. Let us know if you book - there's a roll call started but there are only a few so far would be good to chat before we go.

Archived