No cabins ending in 4?

crabbie72

Does anyone know why the Spirit has no cabins that end in the number 4? Is this normal on cruise ships? Is it bad luck? But there is a 4 deck.

Just wondering.

It used to serve the Asian market and I know that house numbers with "4" are unlucky to Asian consumers. We lived in a city north of Toronto with a lot of recent Hong Kong immigrants, and there were always applications at city hall for house number changes.

Viv

In Chinese, the spoken word for "four" is a homonym for the spoken word for "death" or "die". Because of that, it is associated with bad luck. The Spirit, originally named the SuperStar Leo, was built for the Asian market; in deference to the many Chinese passengers that the ship was marketed to, they (Star Cruises) avoided using the number "4" as much as possible.

Curiously, there is a cabin 4494. I'm not sure why they did this.

In Chinese, the spoken word for "four" is a homonym for the spoken word for "death" or "die". Because of that, it is associated with bad luck. The Spirit, originally named the SuperStar Leo, was built for the Asian market; in deference to the many Chinese passengers that the ship was marketed to, they (Star Cruises) avoided using the number "4" as much as possible.

That is the cabin where they put you if you smuggle alcohol on board....good luck with your cruise Smuggler!

that's exactly it!

now...what is the deal with Deck 4? i dunno. i'll take a stab at it. is that where non-asian pax are booked? hehehehehe.

that's exactly it!

now...what is the deal with Deck 4? i dunno. i'll take a stab at it. is that where non-asian pax are booked? hehehehehe.

That would be me.....Right down there in the bottom of the barrel! Sailed her in 2007!

OP,

Just out of curiosity, what made you notice that?

I pestered a girl at the bar for her phone number, she told me to meet her in cabin 6224.

Just kidding.

I walked by my cabin several times during the week because I was watching the numbers and thought I had 1 more to go.

Archived