another Splendor (NOT)

doittoit

OK, do you see a theme here? 4 out of 7 cruises were rated bad, one ify, not sure what :cool: stands for, seems like someone is hard to please, I have been on this many cruises and all were great.

From the OP's signature:

Carnival Imagination 8-2003 :o

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 4-2005 Good

Carnival Valor 4-2006 :mad:

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 7-2006 :cool:

Carnival Paradise 4-23-07 :(

Monarch of the Seas 8-18-08 bad

Carnival Splendor 5-24-2009 Last chance for Carnival

CCL got a "C" on Splendor trip, Might try CCL again in the far distance.

Nezmo, the truth is, for me, It all look the same !!! Decor is Decor. So once you get past that and the stain on the carpet, the fun begins.

As for going to an ugly resort? sure if the price fits, the food is good and the eye candy is there, I would surely return.

As you can see, it doesn't take much to impress me especially when it takes me away from work and home.

Lifes to short to worry about Decor.

Fred

Totally respect how you feel about it Fred. Just thought I'd share my mindset. Then again, I know I'm a bit of a snob :D.

OK, do you see a theme here? 4 out of 7 cruises were rated bad, one ify, not sure what :cool: stands for, seems like someone is hard to please, I have been on this many cruises and all were great.

From the OP's signature:

Carnival Imagination 8-2003 :o

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 4-2005 Good

Carnival Valor 4-2006 :mad:

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas 7-2006 :cool:

Carnival Paradise 4-23-07 :(

Monarch of the Seas 8-18-08 bad

Carnival Splendor 5-24-2009 Last chance for Carnival

CCL got a "C" on Splendor trip, Might try CCL again in the far distance.

I know, right? :confused: That icon you asked about stands for "cool". So, only 2 out of 7 cruises got a good rating from our OP. And, if you notice.....that was the same ship, Monarch of the Seas.

Sounds like OP should stick to Royal Caribbean, or maybe just stick to Monarch of the Seas.

Decor and color plays a major role in one's senses...

Psychologically-

Classes are given on this subject..

Much thought is put into the design, whether or not we like it, and what the designer is trying to prompt is either relaxation or a reaction..

I think you can guess Farcus' philosphy...

I work in this industry- hospitality design- and you would not believe the thought process behind some of these ideas...:rolleyes:

Given a choice between a W or the Mirage..or MGM or similar I would take the W hands down!!!

I once again have to say I think what is missing from the OP's review is a lack of any real details of why they think whatever it was they thought. I have only sailed Princess/Carnival. Have to say other than ships decor I didn't really notice any big differences between the two.

Weather you can't blame on the cruise nor should that decide which line you choose to cruise, any ship in that area would have had the same weather.

Personally I loved the decor of the Splendor, nor can I see why the decor would keep you from cruising again. Dime store cheap??? Truly I think that is a bit of a ridiculous statement to make - perhaps Celebrity, Crystal, Regent, Silver Sea would be more to their liking???

Mentioned VIP status like it was supposed to have made some big deal, which I thought they were trying to prove something to the rest of us.

This is more like a review but my husband and I were on the same sailing and had a wonderful time. Vacation and life for that matter is what you make of it.

True the gangway broke and debarkation was a mess. If you had an early flight to catch it would have been really bad. There are worse places to be trapped than a cruise ship… try an elevator next time.

We live in Washington State and decided to stick with this cruise even though the itinerary changed from when we booked it… it was still a cruise and a vacation. As for the Oregon weather well it’s the Oregon coast not Miami. There was no snow… fog yes, drizzle yes, cool weather yes, but no snow. Next time I think maybe they should have done just a little research about where the ship was traveling to. I recommend they not go to Alaska. The other ports, Victoria and Vancouver had beautiful weather. Sunny and warm… what more could you ask for. I even got a little sunburn while in Vancouver.

The décor was pink no denying that but I have also been on other cruise lines and their décor has not always been pleasing either. At least the ship was pink throughout and not mismatched color schemes. I personally never would have chosen that color scheme. Again my recommendation to those happy cruisers is do your homework next time before choosing a ship and destination.

The shows were very enjoyable and I’m not a show person. I really enjoyed the back stage tour. I understand if you cruise a lot with one particular cruise line you probably would see shows multiple times.

The food was pretty good… sometimes I didn’t like what I ordered but you can always ask for something else. I have to admit the pizza was a little funky… I think it was the cheese. The staff in the dining room was excellent and very accommodating. Our servers knew after the first night who at the table wanted coffee and who wanted cappuccino. The staff also accommodated if someone wanted more than one entrée or dessert without given any grief.

Our cabin was great… we had an aft balcony and enjoyed the extra room… and it came in handy for our Mexi-Not poker cabin crawl. The cabin décor was much more pleasing and easy on the eyes. Our cabin stewards were also excellent and accommodated any request we had, our room was always clean and good selection of towel animals.

As for the kid problem… I thought the kids were pretty well behaved and we rarely saw them running amuck. On an occasion when Camp Carnival came through they were a little loud but they were just having a good time. If the complainers don’t like the “kid problem” than maybe they should look into a cruise line that doesn’t cater to families.

As for the complaining party about this cruise well c’est la vie.

Jennifer:)

Some people are extremely picky. [As anyone that has read a few of my posts will attest!:eek:] But on a vacation, any vacation, I make a conscious effort NOT to be picky. [barb smacks me inna brain if I forget]

Be it land vacation or cruise, better to look for the good rather than focus on the bad. BOTH are always available!

We cruise more than any other type vacation because finfing the good is effortless.

I've been on all but one of the same ships the OP sailed. Had a good to great time on each. Any of them perfect? NO! What was wrong? Don't remember, not important.

OP wasn't happy, OK, one is allowed to make that determination for themselves. If 99.9% of this board thinks the OP was wrong, he will still feel the same about his cruise. Too bad, EVERYONE vacations should be great.

We went on this cruise due to our friends, they are CCL die hards! They where the VIPS, and yes we did fly on their tail feathers, and if your a loyal fan of something and have spent plenty of $ you should be rewarded. the cruise industry and others stay alive on repeat users. This was their 10th CCL and thought CCL walked on water, they have a different tune now. As I said this was a last minute cruise and the price was right for a balcony, so both families being retired we said what the heck, lets go. So much for looking and studying the cruise b4 hand. How can we go wrong, It's CCL and a new ship? As for the decor it didn't ruin my vacation, just showing my taste and thoughts, If you think the fixtures where expensive deco, I should show you some of my grandkids toys and how they are shaped and decorated. Maybe that is what the designer had in mind? Bring back our chilhood? Most of the food was good. I'm not too picky, just want something for my money! I don't go down to the cadillac dealer and buy cadillac and they give me a Chevy. So what same car co. As fas as maybe doing CCL again, time heals all wounds. As with the cruise from hell on the Valor. As for entertainment One reason for going, I mostly go to Vegas to see shows, but not the same ones year after year. I shouldn't have to make my vacation great that's what I pay the cruise line for. And that's what the advertise all the time. I guess kids bouncing off the walls at midnight running down the halls 24/7. playing on the elavators. I have been stuck in one b4. taking up all the spas, triping up people, ( saw that many times) Did I mention I hate Mac and cheese? But I loved the one on this ship! This is a review, isn't this what this forum is for? For future Splendor guests good luck. just be prepared to make your holiday good, instead of CCL making it a good holiday for you, that you paid for! I will say that 95% of the staff where very good. Just bring plenty of credit card money, lots of high extra cost options available.

I know, right? :confused: That icon you asked about stands for "cool". So, only 2 out of 7 cruises got a good rating from our OP. And, if you notice.....that was the same ship, Monarch of the Seas.

Sounds like OP should stick to Royal Caribbean, or maybe just stick to Monarch of the Seas.

If you look closer the 3rd Monarch was bad. Maybe I have my bar set too high for something I pay for? From all the ad's I guess that is why it's set so high? I do like RCL better, I've never had to buss table's to sit and eat. I was very disapointed on the 3rd Monarch, I figure it was due to being one of the last sailings and going in to be remodeled and deployed to the east coast later. We do and will sail on another line in the future, But how many times do you have to "feel" like being burned b4 trying something else?

Some people are extremely picky. [As anyone that has read a few of my posts will attest!:eek:] But on a vacation, any vacation, I make a conscious effort NOT to be picky. [barb smacks me inna brain if I forget]

Be it land vacation or cruise, better to look for the good rather than focus on the bad. BOTH are always available!

We cruise more than any other type vacation because finfing the good is effortless.

I've been on all but one of the same ships the OP sailed. Had a good to great time on each. Any of them perfect? NO! What was wrong? Don't remember, not important.

OP wasn't happy, OK, one is allowed to make that determination for themselves. If 99.9% of this board thinks the OP was wrong, he will still feel the same about his cruise. Too bad, EVERYONE vacations should be great.

Maybe 99% of the people loved this cruise, where they hiding? I didn't speak to them, most I chatted with where disapointed to extremely disapointed. A few wanted to get off in Astoria. Lots of rude people on board.

Some people have there bars set lower than others, I worked hard for my retirement money and expect the good things on a cruise as they fill you up on them in the adds. I guess I'm just to high society living in a trailer and expect more than promised by the cruise lines.

It snowed in Astoria??? Really???

That's a real fluke. I lived there for a few years as a kid. It snowed once.

The thing about that part of Oregon.....if it does snow, it won't last long. The rain washes it away.

I really am sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise though. Sounds like a lot of things went wrong for you.

Well I was on the same cruise and while we had some light drizzle in the morning in Astoria, it was no where cold enough to snow... Astoria was a very nice place with extremely welcoming citizens. The only point I'd agree on was debarkation was a complete disaster. The entire number system was thrown overboard and everyone in uniform pretty much vanished. Customs just waved everyone through just to get us out of there.

Maybe 99% of the people loved this cruise, where they hiding? I didn't speak to them, most I chatted with where disapointed to extremely disapointed. A few wanted to get off in Astoria. Lots of rude people on board.

What I said, "OP wasn't happy, OK, one is allowed to make that determination for themselves. If 99.9% of this board thinks the OP was wrong, he will still feel the same about his cruise. Too bad, EVERYONE's vacations should be great."

I meant, you feel the way you do and no one else can judge that. For my RARE understanding comment, You jump on me.

OK

I have been on 50 cruises, and I am at the VERY LEAST every bit as picky as you EVER imagined yourself to be. I have traveled all over the world and have dined in 3, 4, and 5, star restaurants everywhere. I have a pretty good idea of what is high class and what is NOT. Also a combat veteran, so I've had a glimpse of the bottom too.

Of my cruises, I have read negative reviews of a number of them. ON EVERY LINE. Our group and ALL of the others we met on board were having and did have a good to great cruise. NEVER meeting ANYONE with serious complaints. Have overheard some completely ridiculous complaints being whined to the Purser. Almost a comedy show, NO, actually a comedy show to all but the ridiculous whiner!

Of all those bad reviews on sailings where all the rest of us had a good cruise there was ALWAYS a common statement. EVERYONE WAS COMPLAINING

"people loved this cruise, where they hiding? I didn't speak to them, most I chatted with where disapointed to extremely disapointed. A few wanted to get off in Astoria. Lots of rude people on board."

Amazing, [NOT] that you would say the same words from the same script.

Use of "Where" should be WERE. NOT WHERE...

Your spelling is off..

As for the cruise--you make it what it is....The gangway in Galveston wouldn't work, needless to say, we used the ground level gangway once they realized it wasn't going to work...

Like people usually find each other.

I didnt care for the Splendor at all ------I hated the Lido deck--the pool area was like an encloed resraurant-----the roof tot he pool was always closed and it was beautiful weather.

I like the Lido deck open, not closed in.

I didn't read the whole thread, but if you think TV sucks on Carnival, what do you think of RCI. They didn't even have netowrks. At least on Carnival you get the networks out of Denver.

Candi

TV sucks on Carnival? Well Duh! TV sucks at home too. Denver networks?

ALL networks, with less the a half dozen exceptions, broadcast NOTHING but intelligence insulting drivel.

Survivor for example, those 'poor' abused souls on a remote island, all by themselves. Except for a crew of 200. A dozen mobile homes with A/C. 40 foot power generating trucks, 2 or 3 catering companies, probably 2 dozen make up people. A fully equipped medical van.

Fitness trainers, dietitians, writers, hangers on and camp followers.:p

And that's just one of the myriad of unreal, reality shows.:rolleyes:

A cruise is a good time to withdraw from the brain melting TV.:cool:

The OP should be joyous, not complaining.:D

I just like having some kind of network. I like to watch the national news. Not a big fan of CNN. I also like to watch some TV when I am in the room. I don't watch reality shows. I like Law and Order and that type of show. If I am having an off night I like to hang in the cabin and watch something like that.

Candi

Just back from the Pride. Yes the Denver networks suck. Trying to get weather info other then Colorado good luck. No other states exist. Great if your from Colorado. Carnival must really have a great deal with worthless stations.

:mad:

TV sucks on Carnival? Well Duh! TV sucks at home too. Denver networks?

ALL networks, with less the a half dozen exceptions, broadcast NOTHING but intelligence insulting drivel.

Survivor for example, those 'poor' abused souls on a remote island, all by themselves. Except for a crew of 200. A dozen mobile homes with A/C. 40 foot power generating trucks, 2 or 3 catering companies, probably 2 dozen make up people. A fully equipped medical van.

Fitness trainers, dietitians, writers, hangers on and camp followers.:p

And that's just one of the myriad of unreal, reality shows.:rolleyes:

A cruise is a good time to withdraw from the brain melting TV.:cool:

The OP should be joyous, not complaining.:D

Dan, we are kindred souls, I swear.... :p

Like people usually find each other.

amen sista! :D

Archived