Children on Ventura

cottonbuddas

On the 22nd May Ventura cruise to the fjords there were about 480 children (or about-ish). A member of the children's crew told me that on the next cruise on 29th May there would be only 78.

He then added that P&O had learned their lesson since the early days of letting nearly 800 children aboard at a time - the children's staff couldn't cope and it had been bedlam (his words, not mine). So I think everybody can take heart that no future cruises will be over-run with under-17s.

The other thing to consider is that most of the children would have been in 'additional bed' accommodation; i.e. not 3000 passengers of whom 700-800 were children, but 3,600 passengers, of whom 700-800 would have been children. So the ship itself would have been super-full.

I've said before that I think Ventura is a very schizophrenic ship, much more so than any other current P&O ship: she's very different in and out of the school holidays. The reason is that her 'over-capacity' figure is a larger percentage of normal capacity than any other current P&O ship, and in the school holidays it's that 'over-capacity' figure that's reached.

Hi.

This fits with what my travel agent told me when we booked our Ventura cruise a couple of weeks ago. We are sailing for the first two weeks of the school summer holidays and were asked immediately when we enquired for the ages of our children. The agent then went on to say that P&O were not taking any more bookings for children aged 8 years or under for this trip. Our girls are older so we could book.

Regards Julia

I agree with all of the comments regarding Ventura .We were on Board in Jan 09 just after the Kids would have gone back to school so although there were still a number children on board and we had no problem .I think the Problem with Ventura lies squarely in P&O's court.They are trying to be all things to all men.You have the experienced Cruiser which after 20/30 cruises I think we are and then there is the first timer and finally the Family group.I did not like Ventura. Too much like Wheel Tappers and Shunters for me.But I have not met or spoken to a first timer or Family Group who did not really enjoy the experience.Ventura is a lovely ship with good cabins and facilities but has had problems with Sun Loungers on Sea Days and there were problems with Capacity in the Theatre dispite there being 3 performances each night.Many people also did not really understand the concept of Freedom Dining.I think anyone [like me] who are looking for a traditional Cruise should steer themselves in the direction of P&O's other Ships Aurora,Oriana and Atremis.I will be interested to see how Azura fits into P&O's stable.

We were on the ventura one week after the Easter holidays. Thinking

we were safe, But no, about 200 on board.We settled ourselves down

in the quietest place we could find which was the Oases spa area at

the front of the ship. suddenly above us about 30 to 40 children

arrived with noddy to play games, it was bedlam. Also out of 13 Bar,s

on board you would think that one would be child free, you would be

wrong. Never Never Never Again.

I think all the comments add weight to Tom's conclusion that Ventura is a somewhat schizophrenic ship. In school hols it's one thing, in term-time it's another.

Last night my OH and I were discussing booking something else for later in the year and the first comment was we would be unlikely to book Ventura again - our opinion was along the lines of Noblemount's comment that it was a bit too Wheel Tappers and Shunters club for us. But then we decided that if we were taking children again, it would be ideal - after all we've already taken them to Butlins a few times and enjoyed it, so how much better than that was Ventura? So the decision is ----- with children, the Ventura or similar --- no children, somewhere a little more civilised :D

_

Ventura, featuring Noddy, is marketed heavily towards the family market. If the old memory is still working, pre school-age children know no better, and are rather partial to Enid Blyton. It therefore seems reasonable to assume that there would be quite a few on board.

I am surprised that you were surprised.

Hi Everyone,

Only been posting for a short time and admit to being new to cruising. I find it difficult to understand why people with a wealth of experience of cruising consistantly choose to cruise on ships obviously not aimed at their needs :confused: My heart bleeds for P & O. They spend a fortune on expensive marketing for many of you to ignore!

You then complain about their ships at your leisure.

I find other people's choice of cruise interesting too. Surely, when looking for a holiday you ask yourself some questions

1. cruise or landbased?

2. how many days? (mini, week or round-the-world)

3. warm climate or colder? (Caribbean or Baltic)

4. seadays or port days? (transatlantic or round the Mediterranean)

5. like lots of children around? (Ventura or child-free)

and after prioritising these you can throw in big ship/little ship, formal/informal, intellectual/entertaining. After this I would imagine that most of the time you could narrow it down to two or three suitable cruises, and if you then choose one that doesn't meet your requirements, it's not the ship's fault.

Wow, wonders never fail to amaize me ! Children on a family orientated ship. Whatever next ? Too much sea air perhaps !

Not like in our day eh Dan? Early teas and all the kids were in bed by 7.

Wife would sit with them. Me, down to the bar for a good session.

Those were the days, what's the world coming to now?

What is the Wheel Tappers and Shunters club?

Thanks, Stephen.

QE2 x 5 Oriana x 1 QM2 x 2 Boudicca x 1

You don't know? Colin Crompton was the cruise director on the QE2 in 1981, you must be a late addition to Cunard.

Ventura would have been a little too downmarket for his large bell, the committee wouldn't have approved, thank you please!

Hi Everyone,

Only been posting for a short time and admit to being new to cruising. I find it difficult to understand why people with a wealth of experience of cruising consistantly choose to cruise on ships obviously not aimed at their needs :confused: My heart bleeds for P & O. They spend a fortune on expensive marketing for many of you to ignore!

You then complain about their ships at your leisure.

You are spot on saidia, with a little research you can find out about any ship and cruise.

We are in the happy position that we do not mind lots of children, our first cruise had 260 on Aurora, which at the time was her highest number. We have always found that the children have been well looked after and certainly have been no bother to us. I am a retired teacher and am used to the little darlings (I have used other words in the past) so I can distinguish between rowdy but harmless behaviour were children are having fun and the unacceptable.

As it happens, now we do not have to cruise in school holidays, we choose not to because cruising in May and Oct tends to be cheaper leading to more cruises.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I am thinking about taking my 14 year old son on the ventura next summer,he`s not really into Noddy so will he board?

We will be taking our 13 year old son with us on a Caribbean Cruise on Ventura on in November so we will post our findings when we return. From what I gather from this forum and others, children of that age will find more to keep them occupied than on a normal beach/resort holiday.

I am thinking about taking my 14 year old son on the ventura next summer,he`s not really into Noddy so will he board?

Noddy is for the little ones.

There are 3/4 age ranges and they have separate areas. He will have a fantastic time and does not have to deal with Noddy.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

> Colin Crompton was the cruise director on the QE2 in 1981, you must be a late addition to Cunard.

Just starting my O Levels in 1981 and my parents did not take us cruising in the holidays. They still have not cruised.

Thanks for the information on the Wheel Tappers and Shunters club. I do not remember it at all.

Best wishes, Stephen.

On the 22nd May Ventura cruise to the fjords there were about 480 children (or about-ish). A member of the children's crew told me that on the next cruise on 29th May there would be only 78.

He then added that P&O had learned their lesson since the early days of letting nearly 800 children aboard at a time - the children's staff couldn't cope and it had been bedlam (his words, not mine). So I think everybody can take heart that no future cruises will be over-run with under-17s.

We 'only' had 208 children on Oriana....23rd May Saturday for 9n covering the whitson holidays... but that was enough...all 3 pools full of children, no chance of a swim in any of them or use the jacuzzi. One pool adult only would not of been too much to ask out of 3,but not policed by stewards. The stern large pools and childrens area were for the children , they used this and the other 2 as well.

I was on this fjords cruise and there was a lovely friendly atmosphere on board-lots of families,several grandparents who had brought their grandchildren on holiday while the kids parents were at work-it was great:D

Don'T get me wrong, I did know the ventura was a family ship. For example look at the

new oasis of the seas it has vast areas where adults only can have a quiet time.

and that's a family ship.

Don'T get me wrong, I did know the ventura was a family ship. For example look at the

new oasis of the seas it has vast areas where adults only can have a quiet time.

and that's a family ship.

Ventura, featuring Noddy, is marketed heavily towards the family market. If the old memory is still working, pre school-age children know no better, and are rather partial to Enid Blyton. It therefore seems reasonable to assume that there would be quite a few on board.

I am surprised that you were surprised.

Hi,

Having just come of the N913 trip to the Baltics, yes I can confirm that there were only 79 children on board. My two boys loved being on board and their kids clubs really catered very well for them and the other kids. They were unsure after the chaos of being on Indy during our summer trip last year to the Med (some days they just plain didn't want to go!)

The ship is schizophrenic, I agree, it's trying to cater for all, and I think it does the job well. On days at sea, we only saw the kids for a few hours as they hung out with their friends.

The only gripe I did have was that being one of the few families on the ship, it felt that especially at mealtimes, that as a family of four, we didn't want (or they didn't want us) to mix socially, which made us feel a bit alienated sometimes. The times when we were allowed to sit at a bigger table, it was great.

Think P&O feel that children have no understanding of social interaction as a whole, so segregate them from other groups. Yes, I know other passengers were a lot older, but I find that the bigger the gap in ages between two parties, the more that the young can learn, and the older can enjoy having some young company.

Scrozuk

p.s. Be interesting to see what the kids think of Azura next year!

The only gripe I did have was that being one of the few families on the ship, it felt that especially at mealtimes, that as a family of four, we didn't want (or they didn't want us) to mix socially, which made us feel a bit alienated sometimes. The times when we were allowed to sit at a bigger table, it was great.

Think P&O feel that children have no understanding of social interaction as a whole, so segregate them from other groups. Yes, I know other passengers were a lot older, but I find that the bigger the gap in ages between two parties, the more that the young can learn, and the older can enjoy having some young company.

thats a real shame -that you felt segregated.:(

I was on the fjords cruise at half-term with over 400 kids on board

I was travelling with my 75 yr old mum and three times at dinner we joined large tables of 8 which had a family with children on-we all had a great time chatting , there was a lovely atmosphere

we were on Freedom dining which was excellent-never waited for a table if you were prepared to share;)

Archived