Motion Sickness?

Hi everyone,

So my friend and I are looking into booking some cruises, and she called RCCL to find out about which decks and locations would be better to allieviate any motion sickness. RCCL told her that the higher up you go, the more you feel it, when we thought it was opposite. We heard the lower down you are the more you feel it. I have been on two cruises before but never had a problem with the motion so I don't know.....anyone have any input?

Thank you! :p

The higher, the more motion. That's physics. As an example, if seas are coming from the side, the ship tilts with the keel as the fulcrum. The further away from the fulcrum (that is, the higher you are) the further you move side-to-side. Those on deck 1 and those on deck 12 tilt the same number of degrees, but those on 12 travel further to the side.

However, it is not always the number of feet you move that causes seasickness. An advantage of being forward is that if the screws are not tuned or out of alignment they will cause a "wiggle" that bothers some people more than bouncing in heavy seas. Of course, this is not usually a problem on modern, well-maintained ships.

Thank you everyone for the input. I'm glad I posed the question, because someone had told her the higher up, the better?!? Oops.

Is there generally a wide age range on the Med cruises? We're just 2 friends in our 30s wanting to take a lavish getaway....

Archived