Photo Safari in Juneau

xcda

Has anyone been on the Photo Safari by land and sea excursion in Juneau. I am booked on that one for my cruise on the Zuiderdam 20-27th June. I am very excited as and avid photographic hobbyist. I am wondering about the part on the boat. I understand will see wildlife, sealions, eagles etc. I am really hoping to see whales. What are the odds?

Michele

I went on this excursion on my 5/23 - 5/30 Zuiderdam cruise and highly recommend it. We saw lots of whales on the "sea" portion and the "land" portion hike by Mendenhall Glacier was very nice. Our guide was very helpful with photographic hints and lots of knowledge about the area. Go and enjoy!!

Diane

I had a great time on the photo safari on May 13th. Wonderful sunny day so really helped with photos. We had a close encounter with a pod of Orcas - they swam right under our boat. great close up photos - right down to the scars on their skin. Sea lions were a hoot, trying to jump onto the buoy and making the bell ring. Great advice on how to compose shots at the Glacier to give a sense of scale and depth. We also saw black bear, porcupine, eagles and humped back whales. G.

It was GREAT! Dave was our guide and he is terrific. He offers ideas and recommendations but is very approachable for all kinds of questions. He was very helpful for people using all different types of cameras, from basic point & shoot cameras to fancy DSLR's. Collin was our boat captain and he found a pod of orcas, including a baby that was having the time of his/her life! Bob (the owner) drove us back from Auke Bay to the port - if he's your driver, ask him if he would recommend going to the Red Dog Saloon... there's a story...

It was a great tour - I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Liz

Archived