HELP! San Francisco

our local paper (sfgate.com) had a good article on treasures of sf and featured the sub along with museum mechanique and other fisherman's wharf sights. check it out. it was in yesterdays paper.

For 2 days, it really depends on where your family interests are at.

If your kids are even remotely interested in science/ nature, the Academy of Sciences is worth the time. If you're debating between exploratorium and the academy, I'd go with the academy.

We recently took our 10 and 7 year olds to the Academy of Sciences- and had a blast there. They have things ranging from a planetarium show, to an albino alligator, aquarium. My favorite thing was a 3 story walkthrough "rainforest" for lack of a better description. Thousands of butterflies, made for some nice photos; they even had some leafcutter bugs/ ants(?) in action, tiny tree frogs.

Alcatraz is worth doing as well; make sure to buy tickets beforehand.

Cable Cars are empty early in the morning, and later in the evening.

If you have any specific likes/ dislikes, I'd be happy to give suggestions.

Two days. Alcatrez, Academy of Science, North Beach (Italian neighborhood) , Chinatown, (right by each other and either would be great for dinner depending on your tastes. . ) and depending on your political/social leanings, the Castro and the Mission . (The Mission is definitely more of a day time thing but they have the best burritos.) There are also museums downtown. MUNI is just really cool. The busses are pretty good. Be careful at night, stay more in the tourist areas. It turns seedy near the Civic Center area and Mission at night. (but if you keep to youself, you should be fine.)

IF your kids are the least bit inquisitive about how things work and have an ounce of creativity, I would suggest the Exploratorium and Zeum. The location of the Exploratorium (www.exploratorium.edu) is the Palace of Fine Arts - which is the remaining structure of those built for the 1915 Pan Pacific Exhibition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Fine_Arts). It is a beautiful site for a picnic lunch.

You can find out more about Zeum at www.zeum.org - check out the exhibits link at the top of the page for better descriptions.

Oh, Zeum is great for kids! If I had to pick between the Academy of Science and the Exploritium, I would choose the Academy. It was just redone, and my ten year old brother, thinks "it is the best thing ever, lol. He likes the Exploritorium, but just not as much. He loves Zeum though and had his tenth birthday there last year.

We had a stop in SF on our recent Alaska. We have been to SF many times, but never made it to Alcatraz. That was the first thing we booked. We then walked around the pier area and found a place to rent bikes. Being (somewhat) active bikers, we couldn't resist the opportunity to bike the Golden Gate. It was really worth it. There is one uphill climb right before you get to the bridge, but not too bad. Just remember, you only have to go up once. On the way back it's all downhill. If we had more time, we would have gone further, but didn't want to chance missing the ship.

We had a stop in SF on our recent Alaska. We have been to SF many times, but never made it to Alcatraz. That was the first thing we booked. We then walked around the pier area and found a place to rent bikes. Being (somewhat) active bikers, we couldn't resist the opportunity to bike the Golden Gate. It was really worth it. There is one uphill climb right before you get to the bridge, but not too bad. Just remember, you only have to go up once. On the way back it's all downhill. If we had more time, we would have gone further, but didn't want to chance missing the ship.

So would you say that biking the bridge was as safe and a better experience that walking the bridge?

Thanks again for all the advice.

just had an article in the paper about all the accidents with bicycles on the GG bridge--walking is much safer--the bikes have to share the same narrow sidewalk with pedestrians on weekdays--and you will be walking the bike most of the time in summer.

depends on how crowded it is (in summer, it is crowded)---then maybe only on weekends, when you are allowed on a bike on the west sidewalk--but then you have strong riders who go fast.

San Francisco is one of my absolute favorite cities! If you buy the Muni pass, it's good for buses, cable cars, and streetcars. The passes are DEFINITELY worth it.

All you need to see just about everything in SF is a Muni pass and a really good pair of walking shoes. The city is super walkable and you'll be surprised at how much you can see on foot. The cable cars are lots of fun - but they get CROWDED! Try the streetcars - I think they're just as much fun as the cable cars and you can almost always find a seat. But definitely buy a pass - otherwise you'll pay a small fortune for just a couple of rides on the cable cars. :eek:

Alcatraz and Chinatown were both places that my kids (young teenagers at the time) really enjoyed.

Here's a link to info and photos of the streetcars... http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfleet/histcars.php

I love to use the passes (used the NY pass) but in this case I didn't find the City Pass such a deal.

We will be in SFO only 2 days and for us we are looking at the Wharf Pass ($58Adult) which comes with our choices of on/off double decker ride for 2 days, bay cruise (about 1 hour on red line), one way cable car ride, wax museum, aquarium, boudin bakery tour, shopping discounts and restaurant discounts such as mcdonalds free ice cream cone with meal purchase and denny's $5 off with purchase of $25 or more.

I like to plan early too

Archived