Which side of the ship??

mojo22

In theory, if the ship is traveling north, you would want to be on the starboard/right hand side; likewise, if the ship is traveling south, you'd want the port/left hand side.

HOWEVER! I have been told that while cruising the inside passage, there will be things to see on both sides, and since most ships turn around to travel up and down certain areas, both sides of the ship will have a chance to see the views in many instances.

The answer is obviously to go to the top deck and enjoy the view from both sides whenever possible! (^:^)

Seattle; Tracy Arm; Skagway; Juneau; Ketchikan; Victoria

Doing this itinerary, which side of the ship? The right side? Better views?

blank.gif

blank.gif

Alaska is very scenic so you will have great views all the way! You don't mention on which side of the ship your stateroom is located so not sure if you were hoping to find out if you are in a prime location. I can tell you however that each port docking is different for all ships, some pull in forward toward the pier, other's in reverse. Although sailing into Tracy Arm, the ship will usually do a spin around so that everyone on the entire ship can get a great view from every side. In Skagway, the pier is actually next to a big cliff so all you really see is the grafitti advertisment on the rocks along the cliffs. Victorias' pier is quite nice and offers a very nice view of the entire bay. Hopefully you booked a balcony stateroom and I can assure you if you did, the scenery will be quite nice as you watch it from the warm comfort of your stateroom.

For the first day you will will not see much as you will be west of Vancouver Island and the same on your return. However that said I would be inclined to go starboard, there is just a tad more scenery on that side and you will get sunrises on the north leg and sunsets on the south leg.

We were originally booked our cruise, we were on one side (forgot which side right or left) because we wanted our 1st Alaska cruise to be great. We wanted to book the best side with the best view....esp after reading what everyone else had advised us would be the best side....

We decided to upgrade our cabin so we ended up on the other side of the ship. We were worried that we messed up..., well I just want to let you know - don't worry about it as whichever side you are on, will be super.

What we went for was the view/scenery - and that is exactly what we got. So no matter what side you are on - you will get the most beautiful view you could have ever imagined. Dont worry about what side is better - JUST ENJOY IT.

Archived