How Can I get from Lubeck to Hamburg?

I'll be docked in Lubeck (on a Saturday and on a Thursday) and would love to go to Hamburg-as far as I can tell this will be the closest port to that city (I believe Warnemunde is farther). Any advice on what trains I could take or if it would be better to go by car? I don't have all day as the ship leaves Lubeck at 5pm-is it possible to get to Hamburg and back before then and have a little time to see some of the city?

Thanks in advance.

I'll be docked in Lubeck (on a Saturday and on a Thursday) and would love to go to Hamburg-as far as I can tell this will be the closest port to that city (I believe Warnemunde is farther). Any advice on what trains I could take or if it would be better to go by car? I don't have all day as the ship leaves Lubeck at 5pm-is it possible to get to Hamburg and back before then and have a little time to see some of the city?

Thanks in advance.

You can do.

On which ship are you? And which exact day???

If your ship berth Travemünde this might be helpful for you:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/travemunde-germany-finding-around.html

The way you are buying tickets is like this (this show Kiel - Lübeck) but there is no difference only that you have to select Hamburg:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/05/kiel-germany-buying-tickets-for-lubeck.html

On certain days there are direct trains from Travemünde to Hamburg but on certain days there is a bus substitution due to construction work.

Therefore it's important to know the ship and the date to give you proper instructions.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you Heinbloed for your response- I hope to be on the Az. Journey and the dates for Lubeck are July 11 (Saturday), July 23 (Thursday), or August 4 (Tuesday) all in 2009 of course. There is a fourth date on a Sunday in August, but I would imagine that wouldn't be the best day to go into Hamburg or cities in general? The ship will be docked at Travemunde as far as I know. Thanks again for your time and help.

The best is July 11 and August 16:

If you want to go direct...

09.33 hrs from Lübeck-Travemünde Hafen by RE 21413

10.51 hrs arr Hamburg Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station)

but if you are willing to transfer

one hour earlier but with a transfer in Lübeck Hbf

this is the first connection. Before there is the bus substitution service which means longer transit time to Hamburg with an earlier departure and I doubt that you can make it in 16 minutes from the ship to the bus station. But if your ship arrives ahead of time:

07.16 hrs from the bus stop in front of the train station...

return:

15.11 hrs dep from Hamburg Hbf by RE 21422

16.20 hrs arr Lübeck-Travemünde Hafen

there is one hour later a connection as well. If the train is scheduled you can be onboard let's say 17.35 hrs... but all aboard 17.30 hrs...

July 23 and August 4:

outward same but all with transfers in Lübeck Hbf

return same but with one transfer in Lübeck Hbf - through traffic only on weekends

Regards,

HeinBloed

Regarding ticketing you should ask again if you are complete with your decision which day you are going. Different ticketing on weekdays and weeekend.

Thank you once again Heinbloed-I'll take this information for starters and run with it-I'll ask again if I run into confusion. When you say that ticketing will be different-are you referring to arrival and departure times, or are you saying that I will have to purchase a different type or kind of ticket? I appreciate your time and help with this-I would love to see Hamburg, particularly for some sites related to some famous musicians and composers which interest me very much, and now it looks like, with your help, I may be able to!

Thank you once again Heinbloed-I'll take this information for starters and run with it-I'll ask again if I run into confusion. When you say that ticketing will be different-are you referring to arrival and departure times, or are you saying that I will have to purchase a different type or kind of ticket? I appreciate your time and help with this-I would love to see Hamburg, particularly for some sites related to some famous musicians and composers which interest me very much, and now it looks like, with your help, I may be able to!

Your first place to visit will be the STAR CLUB in St. Pauli...

2008-Delphin-302-StPauli.jpg

That's where the famous composerrs Paul McCartney and John Lennon had their first public gig...

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Heinbloed-I am really interested in seeing the Mahler house on Bundesstraße 10. Do you know anything about this place which is now a museum as I understand it. Do you think it's easy to get to by public transportation and do you know what train or bus stops would be closest? Thank you so much for your time and information!

Thank you Heinbloed-I am really interested in seeing the Mahler house on Bundesstraße 10. Do you know anything about this place which is now a museum as I understand it. Do you think it's easy to get to by public transportation and do you know what train or bus stops would be closest? Thank you so much for your time and information!

http://www.gustav-mahler-vereinigung.de/Bilder/Bundesstrasse/body_bundesstrasse.html

But I am not sure if there is really a public museum inside (yet).

It's mentioned on the website of the Gustav-Mahler-Society but I could not find any other place else showing that a public museum is there.

So you better contact them in advance:

http://www.gustav-mahler-vereinigung.de/Kontakte/body_kontakte.html

to double check opening times etc.

By the way: there is a Brahms-Museum in Hamburg as well.

From Central Station you exit to

Mönckebergstraße

There is the stop of Metrobus 5 towards A Burgwedel.

Get off at Staatsbibliothek. Move to the left side of the street and go to Verbindungsstraße and the next to the right is Bundesstraße.

It's about 15 minutes incl. walk of 3 minutes at the destination.

Metrobus 5 goes every few minutes.

It's very central.

Regards,

HeinBloed

A Brahms museum you say?? That sounds fantastic-I would love to visit-can you recommend public transportation routes to get there as well? I had no idea about that so thank you for telling me about it since I will definitely visit that place as well.

update-I did find the brahms museum website which lists these directions: You will find the Johannes-Brahms-Museum near St. Michaelis church in Peterstraße 39, 20355 Hamburg (see the Map on the Museum's German Website)

Take the underground line 1 to Stephansplatz, 2 to Messehallen, 3 to St. Pauli or the S-Bahn 11, 21 or 31 to Dammtor Station and then bus No.112 to Hamburgmuseum.

Do you think this is the easiest way to get there from either the train station or the mahler house? Thanks again!

A Brahms museum you say?? That sounds fantastic-I would love to visit-can you recommend public transportation routes to get there as well? I had no idea about that so thank you for telling me about it since I will definitely visit that place as well.

update-I did find the brahms museum website which lists these directions: You will find the Johannes-Brahms-Museum near St. Michaelis church in Peterstraße 39, 20355 Hamburg (see the Map on the Museum's German Website)

Take the underground line 1 to Stephansplatz, 2 to Messehallen, 3 to St. Pauli or the S-Bahn 11, 21 or 31 to Dammtor Station and then bus No.112 to Hamburgmuseum.

Do you think this is the easiest way to get there from either the train station or the mahler house? Thanks again!

Bus 112 starts from the exit Spitalerstraße at Central Station as well (towards Övelgönne).

Bus 112 and Metrobus 5 meets at U Stephansplatz (for music-interested... just in front of the current opera house...)

So which place you visit first: you return to U Stephansplatz and use the other bus starting in 90°.

Have fun in Hamburg.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Normally I should recommend you to hire a helicopter and fly to Eisenach and Leipzig and follow the trails of my favourite: Johann Sebastian Bach...

Archived