Ocho Rios Vs. Nassau- pushiness?

skatermegs

I keep hearing over and over that the vendors are pushy with a capital P. I am taking my mom on her first cruise this fall, and Ocho Rios is one of our stops. I know she won't do well being harassed, so could someone tell me how pushy the vendors are compared to other ports? Nassau for example, and the Freeport straw markets. Is it more pushy, if so, how?

I had a woman in Freeport chase me for 3 blocks to convince me to buy something...I'm not sure I can handle worse!

Megan

I've never been to Nassau but I was pretty annoyed with the vendors in Jamaica. Even the people that were running our excursion (which was booked through Royal Caribbean) were very pushy about buying crap from them(bracelets, t-shirts, other crap). My only advice is that if you are not intending to buy something, don't even make eye contact with the vendors. While walking at Dunns River Falls we passed a street vendor with carvings and such. My wife and mother-in-law saw some stuff that they liked(didn't intend to buy just admiring) and the vendor immediately started haggling with them to get them to buy stuff. Gave them both necklaces for "free" and carvings which he etched their names into and then he said "just give me what you can for these" they then followed us to the boat that we were on and waiting on the pier for someone to bring them money. So like I said, if you aren't interested in buying anything, DO NOT show interest at all in their crap. If you are interested in buying something, don't take the "free" stuff they give you and be prepared to haggle you but off.

Is it just the open markets near Dunns River Falls that have problems with vendors being extremely pushy? I was wondering if there was a good place to do a little shopping. Or if it's just not worth it in this port at all.

Thanks!

Is it just the open markets near Dunns River Falls that have problems with vendors being extremely pushy? I was wondering if there was a good place to do a little shopping. Or if it's just not worth it in this port at all.

Thanks!

no, there are some established shopping areas - 2 of the most prominent are the island village and taj mahal, close to the cruise dock.

i posted the shopping guide from carnival to this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=999862

that'll give you a good idea of some of the stuff available in the general area. for what it's worth, they have guards posted at the entrances to these established shopping areas, and the street vendors are not allowed to enter (this is enforced).

merchants with the actual shops are far less pushy.

Thanks!

Yes, the ones by the Falls are very pushy. To avoid them try and exit to the entrance. There is more to Ocho Rios than Dunn's Rover Falls. Check out my album for Coyaba River Garden and Museum. It's a nice botanical garden and water fall.

Island Viallage and Taj Mahal!

2859193310101627832S425x425Q85.jpg2797121180101627832S425x425Q85.jpg

I keep hearing over and over that the vendors are pushy with a capital P. I am taking my mom on her first cruise this fall, and Ocho Rios is one of our stops. I know she won't do well being harassed, so could someone tell me how pushy the vendors are compared to other ports? Nassau for example, and the Freeport straw markets. Is it more pushy, if so, how?

I had a woman in Freeport chase me for 3 blocks to convince me to buy something...I'm not sure I can handle worse!

Megan

Honestly most Jamaicans can be pushy but with a lower case P (trust me on this;)), it's cultural. Some have no problem asking the dead for something because they figure they are not going to use it anymore. Not been to Nassau but grew up around Ocho Rios. They will approach you to buy things. If you are not interested simply say no thanks and keep going. You are one of hundreds they will want to annoy, so chances are they will move on too. Don't walk around looking like so many cruise ship tourist, easily intimidated and afraid of their shadow.

I agree. They can take no for an answer. if you are the only one in the area they will continue to be persistent. If you decide to go to DRF and leave through the market don't give them your name. They will carve it into the trinket they are holding and then imply you own it. We found for the most part they understood we said no and moved on, save a few.

As mentioned above, Island Village is a great place to do some shopping.

Archived