When are the formal nights on Ventura

Tripgy

We are going on Ventura West Med on July 17 for two weeks. There are four formal nights - can anyone tell me when in the cruise are they and is one of them a Captains night? Also do they serve lobster on these nights?

We too are on this cruise and are really looking forward to the occasion of formal nights.

I think I read somewhere that the pack you get with your tickets gives you specific information about when these nights are, the themes etc.. We have not had our pack yet so cannot be certain but am sure one of the knowledgeable cruisers on this site will know more.

You never know we may meet up on the cruise if not have a fabulous time. Kind Regards Julia

We are going on Ventura West Med on July 17 for two weeks. There are four formal nights - can anyone tell me when in the cruise are they and is one of them a Captains night? Also do they serve lobster on these nights?

I'm afraid I can't tell you which nights they'll be, although they won't be either the first night nor the last night. They won't be on successive nights, either. We had four formal nights on the 12-night Canaries cruise last autumn (one of which was actually defined as 'Black & White night); they were on the 2nd, 4th, 9th and 11th nights. The first three of these were at the end of sea days, the last wasn't.

As regards lobster: well, here are main course selections from our menus for the four formal nights:-

1st: Lobster Thermidor, rack of lamb, duck, venison, cold cuts;

2nd: Plaice, roast beef, lamb rump, turkey, toad in the hole(!), and cold cuts;

3rd: Seafood grill (king prawn, lobster tail, scallops), roast beef & pork, chicken, roast lamb, pumpkin gnochi, cold cuts;

4th: Halibut, beef wellington, calf's liver, pigeon, veg. souffle, cold cuts.

Looking at the meus again I see that lobster was included. However I don't think that there's as much emphasis placed on the lobster on british ships as on americn: I remember on our Celebrity cruises everyone was saying how much they were looking forward to the lobster, almost everyone had it, and lots of people were saying afterwards that it wasn't great. (But they were also accepting that a lobster tail on a cruise, out of the freezer, is never going to be as good as a fresh Maine lobster; and many passengers had had this at least once in their lives.)

One will almost certainly be the 2nd night as will the 'welcome aboard' Captains do. You won't actually know until you get on board, there will be a cruise overview paper that tells you what & when BUT please note they do sometimes change this, the final info is in the daily paper that you get the day before.

• 4 weeks later...

Got to second that on the beef wellington.......very possibly the best thing I have ever tasted!

Although I loved the lobster thermidor on the captains gala night, and the trio of game I had, and the fish I had on the waiters reccomendation (the name of which I can't remember).............

Hmmmmm......can't wait till my next cruise in April!!!

You will almost certainly have captains welcome the second night of your cruise, and a farewell formal on the penultimate night. Your first and last nights will be smart casual. Like someone has said, these nights are subject to change. I worked on the Ventura and some days the sea conditions were so bad the formal nights were cancelled for the comfort of the passengers. No one wanted to be dressing up when they have had to endure a force 9 across the Bay of Biscay all day!

Archived