Immigration in ST Thomas??

cruisermd

I've sailed with RCL for years now with several trips to US Virgin Islands. Why do we have to go through immigration now when we get off in St Thomas? When and Why did this start? Is it new homeland security rules or did something trigger it? Just wondering.

:confused:

It started a couple of years ago with the new homeland security. As I understand the rules now, if the ship you are sailing on has visited a foreign port, you must go through US Immigration upon reaching any US Port. That also would include Key West and San Juan if you visited a foreign port first. Some ships make Key West their first call, and many some make San Juan their first port of call, so don't have to go though that. I know it's a pain. Can't sleep in even if you do not intend to go ashore--everyone has to go through the US Immigration.

The good part, is that if you go direct from St. Thomas back to FLL, it would make debarkation quicker as no US Immigration, just the usual Customs....

Happy cruising....

Archived