Chilkoot Horseback Adv/Skagway

sportsmum

Hi,

Has anyone heard or used this company? We are hoping to do a horseback excursion as well as the train during our stop in Skagway (July).

Any other horseback venues that anyone could recommend?

Thanks!

We are taking the horseback tour at Emerald Lake by Southeast Tours:

http://www.southeasttours.com/yukon_skagway_horseback_riding_tours_skagway_alaska_tour_info.html

There is no train portion, they drive you up and back. We are alright with that as it is the same view most of the time and we can stop for photo ops, unlike on the train. At least that is what it sounds like from all I have read on this board.

I have done a ton of research and this tour has had some very positive feedback and no negative that I could find. I know there is one other tour up that way I think called "paddle and saddle" where you paddle on a lake and then go for a horseback ride. Someone recently posted and asked about it and another poster gave it great reviews. If you do a search on this board you will probably find it.

There is also a horseback ride closer in to Skagway that I found but I really wanted to go over the pass and into the Yukon for our ride. I think this other ride is in Dyea. So you could probably do the train and a ride separately.

Good luck!

Wow, thanks! That looks wonderful. I have shot off an email to them to see if we can be accomodated. Same price as the Chilkoot tour, but longer with the horses and more sightseeing. It would combine both the train scenery and the horses for us.

Can't thank you enough. If we can go I will post on our return!

I am glad I could help. Dave was very good at getting back to me and answered all of my questions. I hope it works out for you. I know I am very excited about this excursion. I am just going to be sure to pack some food as they don't feed you on this very long excursion. They do say they provide a "snack" but I know us and that will not be enough to last us the whole 6 hours. I figure we can eat a little on the van ride up and back but then be hungry for a great meal at the Skagway Fish Co before getting back on the ship.

I would love to hear about it if you do this. Thank you!

Hi,

Just got off the phone with them. They say thank you to you!

My questions were all answered and they are so very nice. Can you believe they are usually closed on Saturday's but because we are coming they are going to open for us?

Anyone out there care to join us?

I will post as soon as we return and let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

No I didn't. At least not yet. If I don't find something like that by tomorrow I will book the above- although I am leaning towards the above anyway. More time with the horses, very kind people that I have talked to, and the last time I was on a train........we'll I didn't need that lunch anyway.......

I wanted the train for the boys but they have long lives ahead if they really want it!

I will let you know.

Hi,

Just got off the phone with them. They say thank you to you!

My questions were all answered and they are so very nice. Can you believe they are usually closed on Saturday's but because we are coming they are going to open for us?

Anyone out there care to join us?

I will post as soon as we return and let you know how it went.

Thanks again.

No worries. Hope it works out for you. Tell them "Your Welcome" from Randi & Charley. :) (We won't be there until August 6th.)

What? That is so cool! I can't believe they are doing that for you. Just think, you should have the whole ride to yourselves so you can have them stop whenever you want. Nice job. Told you Dave was very helpful. Guess I didn't realize how helpful. LOL :p

Now I am even more anxious to hear how everything goes for you. Thank you.

Have fun!

did you find a tour where you could take the train up, horseback ride and take a van or bus down? That is what I am really looking for, thanks in advance!

I could not find a tour like that. I do know you can book a horseback ride directly with Joni of the stables that does the horseback ride portion of this tour. But I do not know how you would get there from train. Maybe you could do one of the other tours that take you there by train and bus/van and then catch another tour that is going back after your ride? Slim chance but you don't know if you don't ask. (Just look what happened for Sportsmum. Southeast Tours are opening just for that family on their Saturday.) Or ride horses while others are doing the dog sledding and other attractions at that point.

Times are tough everywhere but especially Alaska with the fewer tourists in their very short season. So I think they are really wanting to do whatever they need for the business. Maybe one of the companies will work something out with you. I would check with maybe Southeast and see if you can join a tour in progress from where the train ends. The worst that can happen is they say no. The best is they say YES! :)

Good luck.

Lanaki, Thanks for the suggestion, that is what I will do, I asked a tour operator to combine 2 tours in ISP and he said yes. i have asked one operator with no luck, but I will keep at it. Thanks again

Robyn

Lanaki, Thanks for the suggestion, that is what I will do, I asked a tour operator to combine 2 tours in ISP and he said yes. i have asked one operator with no luck, but I will keep at it. Thanks again

Robyn

No problem Robyn. I really hope you get to do it. It sounds like a great way to get all the "fun stuff" in one excursion. Make sure you keep us updated.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

We had a lovely time on this tour. We checked into the office at 9:30AM as suggested by the company. Don't kill yourself to do this. We signed the paperwork and then had an hour to kill in town with not all the stores open.

They say on the paperwork only water allowed in the bus- we didn't take anything (by that time on the cruise we could skip a meal or two and not notice!) so I don't know if they stick to it.

We did not stop on the way up but he said he would stop anywhere we wanted on the way back. We arrived at the farm and sat on the porch while until they were ready for us. About a half dozen people around and 3 came with us. I am still unsure whether they worked there, boarded there, camped there or what! Confusing for us. People were very nice but I was unsure of who to tip with no one really introduced to us other than by name. I believe a tip/gratuity box on the porch would alleviate this confusion. At the end of the riding we again sat on the porch while our bus driver and the owner talked. We would have preferred to start back as we declined the snack (cake and pop around back) but did not want to be rude and interrupt.

We stopped at the signs for pictures on the way back. Our driver, Bill, was very considerate and stopped to make us walk a bit so we did not stiffen up. It worked!

We saw no wildlife on the drive or the ride.

I must confess we napped a bit on the way up. It was a bit of a long drive and the scenery was not new to us. We were dropped off at the dock (our choice) which was nice as the walk to town was about 1/2 mile.

The scenery is beautiful and the horses were very well cared for. This is a particular concern of mine. My son had Timber to start with and he was being.....well, a horses a$$, so he changed to Trooper part way through. Timber gave the owner, Joanie, a bit of a go as well. My younger son had Moonshine who liked to nip the horses behind in front of him/her. I had Rosie. She was a sweet thing and honest to God, has the funniest mustache!

If you get Timber in the group and have a sensitive nose try not to be behind her. The boys giggled the whole way through with the 'musical' entertainment.:eek:

Archived