Vancouver port cold wine and beer

There is a government liquor store in Harbour Centre about 2 blocks east of Canada Place at Cordova and Seymour, if you are here on a Sunday then there is one open at Thurlow and Alberni about 6 blocks south and west of CP.

FYI - PD and others - sometime in the near future the Alberni liquor store will be moving to the other end of the block - how do I know this - well there is a development permit - liquor notice on the proposed site of the new store and I also know that the existing site is slated for redevelopment some time in the future - as my former employer's corporate offices are in the same building as the proposed site I will see if I can get any future info.

I also think the new site is bigger than the existing one - it use to house a Japanese restaurant but has been vacant for some time

Cheers

Dennis

To the west - it will have a Bute Street address but physically is part of the 1166 Alberni Building.

Never been in the Granville Station liquor store which I assume is a private store so can't comment on the stock but perhaps that is something for me to check out.

Since we are on the topic of changes to downtown - are you aware that the connection from Pacific Center to Vancouver Center by London Drugs is now closed and you must access that mall from the Bay - it is part of the development of the new Granville station for the Canada Line.

Thanks for the words about my recent bike spill - both hands are recovering but my right or typing hand is still sore and somewhat swollen - if it isn't too busy I am going to drop in my neighbourhood clinic and have them reassess it.

Cheers

Dennis

Since we are on the topic of changes to downtown - are you aware that the connection from Pacific Center to Vancouver Center by London Drugs is now closed and you must access that mall from the Bay - it is part of the development of the new Granville station for the Canada Line.

No I was not, I haven't been on the lower level of Vancouver Centre for a few years now....but I can understand why. We were conusultants to VC during the construction of it and I remember the tunnel being dug under Granville St. to connect with Pacific Centre. As that was covered off under an agreement with the city (as I recall) there must have been some very interesting discussions around the closure of same.

That would make some sense since the St Regis is a hotel with a liquor permit - the closure of the connection may just be to facilitate the opening of the station although London Drugs is undergoing an expansion as well - might have to ask a friend who use to run a business and who has had to relocate because of the station opening just what the plan is.

Enjoy your day

Cheers

Dennis

The closure is only temporary while they do work on the station and while London Drugs expands as well - they expect to be back open sometime in late September - got this tidbit from a security guard at the bank entrance at the lower level.

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 months later...

I will try to answer your questions - PD will probably be around after his golf game with some other throughts.

No Costco cannot sell beer or wine.

Yes government run stores will have better pricing because while their are privately run stores the government still controls the distribution and the pricing so the private stores will be more expensive.

As for selection of wines - that is a tougher one to answer - the government run store at Alberni and Thurlow has a much larger selection that most other government stores and is also the only government store in the downtown core that is opened on Sundays and holidays. Private run stores are off two kinds - ones that sell a wide range of alcohol products and those that are more specialized wine merchants like the ones attached to the Sutton Place, Western Grand and Blue horizon.

Almost all of the private stores are open longer hours and most are open 365 days a year so while the price will be higher you will have more hours to do your shopping.

If you let us know where you will be staying us local can provide a few links to some of these outlets.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Urban Trekker, I am just planning ahead, I will probably use Priceline to get a hotel in the downtown area, hope I can get the Pan Pacific. Looking the the Volendam, August 11, 2010, I'll most likely fly in the day before and take the skytrain from YVR.

Paul

Should the government liquor store at the Harbour Centre be closed, there is a cold beer and wine store just across the street beside the Steamworks restaurant. It is open more conveniently (later - Sundays) for your immediate needs.

Mike

PG 2001, 2004

Archived