How far to Boatswains from tender dock?

2910car

• 3 weeks later...

I was just on their website...I think it said 8 miles from the pier, and $16 for 3 person cab ride.

We just were there, but it was our last stop on a tour. It seems like a quick and easy return to the pier from Boatswains.

I was just on their website...I think it said 8 miles from the pier, and $16 for 3 person cab ride.

We just were there, but it was our last stop on a tour. It seems like a quick and easy return to the pier from Boatswains.

I actually emailed Boatswain's and asked them this question. They informed me that transportation to and from the pier is free for all cruise passengers. We decided to do this away from Carnival and do it on our own. We are saving like $30 pp to do it on our own.

I actually emailed Boatswain's and asked them this question. They informed me that transportation to and from the pier is free for all cruise passengers. We decided to do this away from Carnival and do it on our own. We are saving like $30 pp to do it on our own.

Do you know what times the buses run?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken the FREE bus transportation to Boatswains yet? I was wondering how it worked. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

It would be nice to save some money and do it on our own. The cruise ship will only be there for four hours....that isn't enough time is it??

Thanks!!

Hope

We booked directly thru Boatswains website to save the $$$ over what Carnival charged... FREE transportation was supposedly included, sorta'...:rolleyes:

Went to the guy (Boatswain's name tag) at the pier, where we unloaded from the tender, and showed him our printed form... He seemed kinda' hesitant, and not sure what to do..! He directed us where to go, so we did.. To the far side of the 'tour' parking lot, and look for the banner.. We did! After standing for 20/30 minutes, I walked up to another guy with a Boatswains name tag (holding a placard) for those departing a Disney ship... He said, go to the little building 'over there'...:o

Anyhow, we finally found the building, and were told that the early bus had left, and we would be accomodated shortly.. (we were never given a time-table).. Told us that transportation would be available whenever we arrived.. NOT!:eek:

Hearded us on to a small bus with everyone going to the Butterfly Farm, then took us to the Boatswains area... Naturally, after all the fiasco, we only had 2 1/2 hours at Boatswains, as there was only one bus heading back to the pier!!!??? HUH???

For the $100. or so we saved over the Carnival tour, to do it on our own, I'd never even consider the option again! This was our forth time to Grand Cayman, and any further stops will be wisely spent 'on the ship'!:)

We have been to Stingray City twice, and really enjoyed it... If this is your first trip to GC, and never done that tour, its highly recommended... Other than that, or a day at the beach, stick with onboard discounts for an 'in-port' day on the ship!;)

Okay a few more questions if you don't mind :)

If we try to do this on our own, can't we take a taxi from the pier. That should get us there sooner. I do like the comfort of booking a shore excursion through the ship. The excursion says it is 4 hours. I was wondering if 4 hours is enough time to spend there. We have done the stingray excursions and this one seemed really interesting. Also don't know if I should spend $76 per person for this trip.

Thanks

Okay a few more questions if you don't mind :)
If we had been able to spend four hours there, it MAY have been OK, depending on what one wants to see/do! But then again, $75.00 pp isn't cheap...

It's a huge Turtle Farm with numerous tanks, including a 'petting' tank... Two beach areas; one more pool like with a waterfall than the other.. Several of the small shops/kiosks were not open.. Only the main building gift shop, and a small pop/beer/water stand at $2.00 for water out of an ice cooler and a restaurant which I really didn't go into... I could see the $$$ racking up as we went by... :eek: 'Main Street' wasn't open, or if it was, no one was visiting..

Having booked on our own, we had to ask several people where to find a bus/ride back.. We were on a very crowded bus (standing room only), and they had the nerve to stop at Hell for the few people who wanted to stop..

I'm not a complainer, but to the DW, DS and I, we certainly could have found something more enjoyable for the $$$! I'm thinking 'staying on the ship'...;)

ps: I think a cab ride fare would be approximately $20.00 per cab each way... + tip!

Good luck! Just voicing my opinion..! Even after I booked online, they never answered my e-mails, or anything.. I'd opt for the beach next time, if the DW DRAGS me off the ship!:cool:

I feel the same way, I would rather just go to a beach and hang out. But, dd's want to "do" something. Oldest dd, 15, hated the stingrays. She found this excursion and to keep her happy, I thought we would try it. My dh would like to save money and stay on the ship. I can honestly say, that of all our cruises we have never just stayed on board. I feel guilty doing that. I would like to try it. It seems like it would be a very enjoyable & quiet day!!

Thanks for your input!!

You may have a totally different experience!! Apparently, Boatswain's just recently started booking on-line, and it is more than likely a 'work in progress'!:o

I'm sure the kids may enjoy the turtles and other exhibits (most of which we didn't have time to see).. I think there is an aviary of sorts, but I believe it was closed the day we were there!..:) Things change from day to day...

Apparently, my likes are different from your DD's as The DW, DS and I really enjoyed the StingRay thingy.. even did it twice (thru a private contractor)!!;)

So far, we have only stayed on the ship in one port! Grand Cayman in December 2008! Enjoyed our day on the balcony!:D

We were there last Tuesday, July 28th. We just walked out of the tender port and took a left and passed all of the cabs right at the tender port (and all of the sign-holding tour salespeople). We walked less than a block and found a cab for $2.50US per person each way (got the same price coming back) and it took about 15-20 minutes to get there.

The turtle farm was fine (family of 6 with kids 11, 10, 8, and 7). Definitely worth the extra $ to do the swimming areas (one freshwater pool and one snorkeling area.) There was lots of algae in the snorkeling area (yuck) but the kids enjoyed it because of the fish and turtles. It was a good place for them to get comfortable with the snorkeling experience. Tickets are 20% off via Boatswain's website and you'll save a ton doing it on your own.

We've done stingray city twice, so this was a nice change.

But if you book directly thru Boatswain's, they guarantee FREE transportation + the 20% discount for booking on-line!:p

Therefore, we expected an easy ride to/from and a nice day! Unfortuantely, it is still a 'work in progress', so be prepared if you opt for the online deal!:o

We had asked about a cab, and they said 'why bother, we offer FREE transport'.. Had we known, we may have opted for the $25.00 flat-rate cab fare I knew about prior..:p

I truly hope they 'get it together' for future cruisers, but our experience was not very enjoyable...:cool:;)

Those who booked online, do you know if they would do a refund in the event that the ship doesn't dock?
Prior to booking 'on-line', I asked that question, and was assured that it was totally refundable!...:)

HOWEVER, 'after' I booked with them, I never heard another peep and I was only asking for directions to their office...:eek:

Truthfully, giving them the 'benefit of the doubt', I may have been lost in their system, but I was really disappointed..:p

If everything 'comes together for you', you will probably have a wonderful day!;)

ps: Good luck! I wish you the best...

Archived