Connection Between Dress and Food

The only people to look at in any cruise line's brochures or ads are those far in the background. Those are the REAL passengers. Everyone seen front and center in the glossy photos is a model -- I know this for a fact.

Of course they are models. And they are dressed a certain way. That's the point: Marketing.

I've always been one to wear a tux on formal nights, and DW a gown. But, as has been pointed out, those things are heavy and space-consuming to pack. Hence, on our cruise On VOS this September, they're not coming along! Quite honestly, with the port-intensive nature of a W. Med. cruise, we are looking forward to just heading to the Windjammer every evening. Our pace, our time, our dress code (obviously, not slobbish). All that being said, IMHO, maybe it's time for the mid-level cruise lines (Carnival,RCCL,Princess,etc.) to just ditch the "Formal Nights" on cruises. They are, as far as I'm concerned, a remnant of an era whose time may be past. Again, while I'm not advocating looking like a slob in the DR (or any other dining venue), what in God's name is wrong with slacks and a collared shirt ? Or, for that matter, a neat pair of shorts and a shirt? I could care less what someone else is wearing- just look presentable. We are all on vacation, after all, not competing in a fashion show.

As for a connection between dress and food quality, I think that's a stretch. In general, while the food is good, the overall quality HAS dropped over the last several years, no doubt. But, we are not on a cruise ship for a fine dining experience. If I were a foodie, there are better options for vacations.

My take is there is a large segment now sailing that do not distinguish between dining and eating.

Even at home, if I go out to eat, I choose "this" restaurant, and dress "this" way. But when we go out to dine, we choose "that" restaurant, and dress "that" way.

There has been a lot of talk about the food quality slipping.There has also been talk of Dinner dress slipping.Does Royal believe they can get by with serving lower quality food due to the lower standards being set by RCCL todays cruiser?

I believe Milton Friedman has already proved a correlation between slipping food quality and the hiring of more ship's captian's whose last name does not end with "son"

He may have won his Nobel prize in economics for that treatise!

I believe Milton Friedman has already proved a correlation between slipping food quality and the hiring of more ship's captian's whose last name does not end with "son"

He may have won his Nobel prize in economics for that treatise!

But that was not the question ,besides RCCL does not have a Captain who's name end in son.Its already been proven the answer is YES

Archived