steamer vs travel iron

Hi everyone. I just purchased a Proctor Silex steamer for our June 20 Mariner cruise to the western caribbean. Have brought a travel iron in the past on a different ship, but everyone tells me it's easier with a steamer.I really did not like ironing on the bed. Does anyone know if an adapter is needed in the cabins for this (and hairdryer? Thanks

There are standard outlets in the cabin so no adapter is needed. However, the cruise lines generally prohibit irons due to the potential fire hazard.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;3;19;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

• 7 months later...
[quote name='heylu']Hi everyone. I just purchased a Proctor Silex steamer for our June 20 Mariner cruise to the western caribbean. Have brought a travel iron in the past on a different ship, but everyone tells me it's easier with a steamer.I really did not like ironing on the bed. Does anyone know if an adapter is needed in the cabins for this (and hairdryer? Thanks[/QUOTE]

Don't take either!!!!!Send all of the clothes, that need it, out to be pressed. It is inexpensive and won't take any of your time.

You are on vacation!!!!

A standard iron would be a fire hazard due to the high wattage of the appliance. A travel iron has much lower wattage and much less of a danger overloading the circuitry (sp). I think it is a common misconception that an iron is a danger because of being left on. We take a travel steamer and use it as we unpack, then pack it back into the suitcase. My travel iron doesn't get hot enough to iron cloth of any kind. I would love to be able to afford sending everything that needs it out for pressing, that sounds like heaven to me.

Don't bother with the steamer from Oreck. I ordered it and it will not take out the wrinkles. Luckly it only cost me $12.00. It gives out "puffs" of steam rather than a constant release. I purchased a Conair and it seems to do a reasonably good job. Maybe others had better luck with their Oreck but I didn't.

Archived