I'm sorry Carnival...I'll be back!

JazzCatDRP

I've only been on two cruises, one with Carnival, and I just returned from a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas with RCCL. I booked the Mariner because it was the same price point as Carnival, and I'd always heard that RCCL is a "step up" from Carnival. Boy was that assumption wrong. Without diverting into a RCCL bashing thread, let's just say that I will be returning to Carnival!

Unfortunately, I've got $500 of future cruise credit that I'll have to use, so RCCL will end up getting one more shot from me...though I'm toying with writing Carnival and asking if they'd honor that. I'd doubt it'd work, but it might be worth a shot.

I wouldn't feel too guilty about it, variety is the spice of life! I am a loyal "Carnie", but I really enjoyed my RC cruise last year. So much that we are cruising Navigator OTS later this year. I really found the the two were incredibly similar in terms of the cruise experience. But in the end, Carnival's better prices and more relaxed, festive atmosphere will keep me coming back again and again.

Variety is good. Now you have something to compare Carnival to. I would like to try each cruise line at least once. Some people switch and never go back; while others become die-hard fans.

Let's be honest, you're only coming back for the Chocolate Melting Cake.;):D

I plan on visiting other lines in the future. I just booked a Celebrity cruise the other day. I have enjoyed Carnival, but they have limited cruising regions (no real Europe, South America, Australia, etc cruise seasons). I booked Celebrity purely for the itinerary.

I too would like to try some other cruise lines just so that I know what else is out there but as for right now, I am trying to get as close to Platinum as I can before I will try another cruise ship (don't want to use up one of my cruises on the road to Platinum). :D

I've only been on two cruises, one with Carnival, and I just returned from a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas with RCCL. I booked the Mariner because it was the same price point as Carnival, and I'd always heard that RCCL is a "step up" from Carnival. Boy was that assumption wrong. Without diverting into a RCCL bashing thread, let's just say that I will be returning to Carnival!

Unfortunately, I've got $500 of future cruise credit that I'll have to use, so RCCL will end up getting one more shot from me...though I'm toying with writing Carnival and asking if they'd honor that. I'd doubt it'd work, but it might be worth a shot.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Remember, one cruise is probably not indicative of the cruise line. Perhaps you'll find something more fitting or at least more fun the next time around!

Having said that, welcome back to Carnival!!!

:)

I plan on visiting other lines in the future. I just booked a Celebrity cruise the other day. I have enjoyed Carnival, but they have limited cruising regions (no real Europe, South America, Australia, etc cruise seasons). I booked Celebrity purely for the itinerary.

Yes, variety is indeed the spice of life. :) I've wanted to try other lines, Celebrity and especially Princess, but SOLO cruisers take such a beating financially on those other lines. Carnival gives me the best SOLO pricing so far. And often an upgrade ! ! :eek:

I stumbled into PLATINUM status. Wasn't even thinking about it when suddenly my Sail'n'Sign card changed color. :D

We've cruised several lines. In fact, the worst cruise we've ever had was on Carnival, and it wasn't weather related. But we have cruised Carnival since. Not loyal to just one line as all are different and have their pros and cons.

Shay

I've only been on two cruises, one with Carnival, and I just returned from a cruise on the Mariner of the Seas with RCCL. I booked the Mariner because it was the same price point as Carnival, and I'd always heard that RCCL is a "step up" from Carnival. Boy was that assumption wrong.

Although I've enjoyed my three cruises with RCCL, they are NOT, in any way, a step up from Carnival.

I've been married for 27 years. Now that is the spice of my life. I've sailed 3 times with Carnival and soon to be four. Can't wait for that VIP status. I like what Carnival offers and price too, so I have no desire to try anything else.:D

Started with Carnival and never left. Once we hit platinum, the perks have kept us with Carnival as well as they have always met our expectations which aren't huge-balcony, pool, DOD, we're happy campers! We're also very laid-back people so the Carnival style works for us.

Pat

Ok, so what was so "wrong" with the Mariner. You're on a Carnival board slightly bashing RCCL without even going into details as to what was so horrible on the Mariner. Please come back and if possible detail your experiences.

My wife and I have thought about going on RCCL and Princess. We were kind of worried about wheather we would like it as much. There has to be differences in the cruise lines, and base everything on Carnival. That's not like Carnival, Carnival doesn't do it like that. So, in the end we are doing another Carnival Cruise and we couldn't be happier.

My wife and I have thought about going on RCCL and Princess. We were kind of worried about wheather we would like it as much. There has to be differences in the cruise lines, and base everything on Carnival. That's not like Carnival, Carnival doesn't do it like that. So, in the end we are doing another Carnival Cruise and we couldn't be happier.

My advice would be to sail on both RCCL and Princess......I don't think you will regret it........

It is not about better or worse... it is about the differences....... I feel sorry for anyone to just sail one cruiseline.......

Being platinum on Carnival, I have also sailed on RCCL and Princess and will be sailing on RCCL again in a couple months........I can vouch that Carnival is not better then either one....just different;)

But to this day Princess is still my fav:D

Whatever works for you. For me, every cruise, no matter the name on the side, is the only cruise I have ever taken or will ever take. So I just do not compare this with that, rather I enjoy what is. Every line has its good points.

Curious to know what disappointed you about the Mariner. We sailed her two years ago and was completely "wowed" by the whole experience.

Ok, so what was so "wrong" with the Mariner. You're on a Carnival board slightly bashing RCCL without even going into details as to what was so horrible on the Mariner. Please come back and if possible detail your experiences.

DW and I sailed Mariner in Nov. 07 from Canaveral and had a great time. We are Platinum on CCL, but have enjoyed our 3 cruises with RCI. You say you were disappointed, but I'm like these other posters, what were the disappointments?

Curious to know what disappointed you about the Mariner. We sailed her two years ago and was completely "wowed" by the whole experience.

Sorry for not providing details. I was just trying to avoid whining about petty things.

The ship itself was fantasic, the service, not so much. There weren't any huge, major problems that happened, just a great deal of little things. The staff on the Mariner seemed to be going through the motions, and in some instances flat out rude to us. At one point, as I was leaving a pleasant conversation I was having with a crew member, I heard him mocking a speech impediment I have to another crew member. Another example is when we were eating in a very busy cafe, so we just stood and ate our food. We were accidentally standing about four feet from the door to the kitchen. A crew member returned from bussing tables and told us we were blocking the door and to "find a new g-damn place to stand."

The food on Carnival is light years ahead of Royal...in every area. Also, the availability and diversity of the restaurants was better on Carnival. Getting multiple entrees and extra slices of pizza was never a problem on Carnival...it was even encouraged. An example: On Royal, I went up to the pizza place and asked for four slices of pizza. She looked at me funny and said "are you sure?" I told her I had missed dinner that day because of a shore excursion, and yes I wanted four. She shrugged and reluctantly gave me four.

Those are just a couple examples. Like I said, nothing HUGE happened to sour us. We just found ourselves constantly thinking "hmmm, this was better on Carnival."

Like was said, I've only been on one cruise with each line, so it's hardly a good sample size, but for my money I learned that Carnival seemed to take care of the details a lot better than Royal does.

I've been o 2 Rccl Cruises, and enjoyed both. We are booked for a third Rccl cruise in November, and then in April 2010 We are booked on Carnival Dream. Dream looks like it will be a beautiful ship, and price was so much better than Royal we figured we would give it a try.

We have been on 12 cruises and all were with Carnival. Now we are booked for our 13th (again with Carnival). I have to say that we have enjoyed every cruise so keep coming back to Carnival although once in a great while, I wonder "What would it be like on a different line? ................ Naw!" Then when you get VIP status, you are really hooked. First on and first off are certainly an advantage. Add to that the military discount and lower pricing any way, we will probably do our 14th cruise with Carnival.

Archived