Bruges excursion or go it alone

dynamitedeb

Hi we are on a weekender on Ventura at the end of August and the excursions are really expensive. We are not sure how far Bruges is from port and wondered if it is possible to go it alone-- we are looking at a taste of Bruges excursion but it is £80 for pair of us which is a lot of drinking money!!!

Hi we are on a weekender on Ventura at the end of August and the excursions are really expensive. We are not sure how far Bruges is from port and wondered if it is possible to go it alone-- we are looking at a taste of Bruges excursion but it is £80 for pair of us which is a lot of drinking money!!!

We went to Zeebrugge on the QE2 last year and there was a free shuttle bus from the port to Blankenberg Station. We took a train into Brugges (I think it was about 4 Euros each return). It took about 20-30 minutes.

We then walked into Brugges about 10-15 minutes. It is a good idea to print a map off the internet so you can see where you want to go.

We saw some people on a canal trip while we were there and aim to do that when we go there again in August on Artemis.

You can use the £80 you save on some delicious Belgian chocolates!!

Gail

Yes you can go it alone, a lot of people do, I choose the Bruges on-you-own tour everytime, hassle free about £24 each, I like the security of knowing the pando coach will take me safely there and back, and if delayed in traffic, the ship will wait for me.

We went to Zeebrugge on the QE2 last year and there was a free shuttle bus from the port to Blankenberg Station. We took a train into Brugges (I think it was about 4 Euros each return). It took about 20-30 minutes.

We then walked into Brugges about 10-15 minutes. It is a good idea to print a map off the internet so you can see where you want to go.

We saw some people on a canal trip while we were there and aim to do that when we go there again in August on Artemis.

You can use the £80 you save on some delicious Belgian chocolates!!

Gail

Thanks Gail,

You really are helpful , I think we may well opt for the train and buy a few Kilos of chocs!!!!! When we go on the Indy we are sailing to Maderia, Canaries and Vigo so need to find out about these places next to see if we need to book excursions-- as experienced cruisers wondered if you had any knowledge of these ports. Cant wait to go on my cruises in Sept- they are to celebrate my husband Franks 50th--in the meantime we will just have to be content with "Sunny Eastbourne!!!! Take care and thank you

Yes you can go it alone, a lot of people do, I choose the Bruges on-you-own tour everytime, hassle free about £24 each, I like the security of knowing the pando coach will take me safely there and back, and if delayed in traffic, the ship will wait for me.

Thank you for your help, I can always rely on you and timetravellers to give me lots of usefull information, it is much appreciated-Debbie

Hi again - just wondered if you booked a canal trip when you went on Bruges on your Own excursion? Also did you do a full or half day? We are torn as better value for full day but as short break want to enjoy the ship too. Finally notice that you have been to the canaries on a cruise - we are on the IOS Canaries Cruise- Maderia, Canaries and Vigo and wondered if you had any tips about the ports and excursions- we are going on this one with friends so we will not mind sitting on the beach drinking the local beer either but wondered if the ports are miles for the main resorts-- thanks again for all your valuable help

I have just returned from the Baltics cruise on QV and we had a half day call in Zeebrugge and decided to go to Bruges. We had pleanty of time to walk around the town, cup of coffe and cake and do the canal trip. There are several start and stop places and all of them charge the same price. My memory is not good, I think around 7 euros each(?) We were, as usual, dropped of where you walk through to the brewery square by the guide. He then left us to our own devices. On returning to thr square, we of course, had to sample the current production line of the brewery:D good it is too if you like beer (Lager)

One often overlooked problem is the train from Bruges to Blankenberg only run once or twice (max) per hour so the return trip has to be timed to perfection, not easy after all that lager perhaps.

And it's quite a walk - 15 or 20 minutes - back from Bruges centre to the station. Definitely a problem after the lager...

Also we found when we went there that the shuttle bus times didn't fit well with the train times. The last shuttle bus back from Blankenberg was scheduled to leave about 5 minutes before a train from Bruges was due. Result: lot of people were on the previous train, which was pretty full.

We are also on this trip and have looked at getting a cab from the ship to Brugge. We have been quoted 90 euros for 6 of us so around £15 each compaired to the £28 P&O are charging. This also gives us the option to do our own timings.

Thanks Gail,

You really are helpful , I think we may well opt for the train and buy a few Kilos of chocs!!!!! When we go on the Indy we are sailing to Maderia, Canaries and Vigo so need to find out about these places next to see if we need to book excursions-- as experienced cruisers wondered if you had any knowledge of these ports. Cant wait to go on my cruises in Sept- they are to celebrate my husband Franks 50th--in the meantime we will just have to be content with "Sunny Eastbourne!!!! Take care and thank you

We're not really experienced cruisers yet, but we are trying hard to be!! Only been cruising for 12 months.

We went to Vigo on the Indy in April. Didn't find too much to do there. We walked to the highest point to see the view and visited the shops (including C&A). Weather wasn't too brilliant for us that day.

Haven't done the Canal trip in Brugges yet. Hope to do so in August when we go there again. If you go by train, make sure you get one back with an hour to spare at least before last boarding so as to avoid missing the ship. It is also a good idea to get off the ship early to give you more time ashore.

We have spent many a day in Sunny Eastbourne and often go to Sovereign Harbour, one of our favourite haunts.

Happy cruising!

Gail

Just checked our itinerary and it seems we will be in Zeebrugge on the same day! We are on the Artemis!

Well I never.

Gail

I have done a 2n/3n cruise to Bruges every year now for past 3 years. The canal boat trip can be done easily while you are there, plenty of boats, and boat stations. Just buy a ticket and wait for a boat.

I do the afternoon tour bruges on your own starting at 12.30pm, this allows for a lazy morning, breakfast and exploration of the ship (we do weekenders to try out new ships) and then we catch the coach to bruges easy peasey...

I could not be doing with the stress of wondering if the train will be late/full and not getting back in time before she sails. My view is ' if you can afford to cruise, you can afford a tour coach' I know I could save a few pounds by getting a shuttlebus to the blankenburg train station, hang about and wait for a train....on a SUNDAY... train to Bruges, walk from bruges station to town centre.... and vice versa, but I take the hassle free option, after all I'm on holiday...

CANARIES

Yes, just come back from same cruise on Oriana -VIGO/CANARIES/MADEIRA have you seen my review on here?

Madeira - a must is - shuttlebus to prom, get cable car up to the beautiful gardens at top of mountain Monte, then perhaps the famous sledge ride down, or return cable car down if preferred. Then shops, cafes and harbour in Funchal to look around and wonderful market.

photos here of Bruges and boat trip, taken from a lovely Aurora weekender cruise trip I did to Amsterdam and Bruges.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Aurora3nAmsterdamAndBrugesCruise#5106786938427063282

also in the 'my albums/photos ' section another Aurora Bruges cruise, and the recent ORIANA cruise to the Canaries -same ports as you are doing .

What Canary Islands are you going too? deb?

We're not really experienced cruisers yet, but we are trying hard to be!! Only been cruising for 12 months.

We went to Vigo on the Indy in April. Didn't find too much to do there. We walked to the highest point to see the view and visited the shops (including C&A). Weather wasn't too brilliant for us that day.

Haven't done the Canal trip in Brugges yet. Hope to do so in August when we go there again. If you go by train, make sure you get one back with an hour to spare at least before last boarding so as to avoid missing the ship. It is also a good idea to get off the ship early to give you more time ashore.

We have spent many a day in Sunny Eastbourne and often go to Sovereign Harbour, one of our favourite haunts.

Happy cruising!

Gail

Hi Gail,

Cant believe you come down to The Harbour!! And you are in Bruges at the same time-- spooky!!! We were on our first cruise a year ago- Med Treasures Indy, Well I say 1st cruise it is our only cruise to date!!! We are addicted though and are really looking forward to the 2 cruises on Ventura and Indy. We have even booked Caribbean cruise on Oasis for next June-- sails on 12/6/10 so exactly a year to wait!!!! If you are ever dowm on the harbour you will have to let us know- we are just across the blue bridge from the Harvester-- take care Debbie

As we had been to Bruges a couple of times we decided to take the train from Blankenberg to Ghent - stay on the same train about 20 mins past Bruges. From Ghent take a short tram ride to city - very easy. At Ghent we got our info from tourist office at/near station. Had time to walk around, go up the Belfry etc and a canal boat trip followed by a lazy beer in a Bierhaus then back again.

We would have had longer had we not just missed a train. We had to wait an hour so we walked through Blankenberg to the seafront and strolled back through the town. To make the most of this trip get train times from Belgian rail website. From memory they left BB about 15 mins past the hour but could have changed by now.

In Vigo we took the train to Santiago de Compostela and walked through the old part to the famous Cathedral. It is a good walk to the station at Vigo (much of it uphill) and again at Santiago. We should have taken a taxi on leaving ship. We try to do our own thing in ports of call wherever possible. We haven't come unstuck - yet. We make sure we always get an earlier train or bus back than really necessary. Also making an early start helps.

photos here of Bruges and boat trip, taken from a lovely Aurora weekender cruise trip I did to Amsterdam and Bruges.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Aurora3nAmsterdamAndBrugesCruise#5106786938427063282

also in the 'my albums/photos ' section another Aurora Bruges cruise, and the recent ORIANA cruise to the Canaries -same ports as you are doing .

What Canary Islands are you going too? deb?

Hi there, the cruise goes from Southampton, Funchal, Tenerife, Las Palmas, Lanzarote, Cruising - 1 day, Vigo, Cruising - 1 day, Southampton. On IOS-- we have been to Vigo but none of the other ports. We set sail on this 10 day cruise on 2nd Sept with friends but go on the Ventura just before from 29th Aug to 1st Sept on our own--- thank you for all your tips and photos on Bruges- you have been so helpful - think we have 2 weeks of Bliss ahead of us on 2 great ships Deb

Hi Gail,

Cant believe you come down to The Harbour!! And you are in Bruges at the same time-- spooky!!! We were on our first cruise a year ago- Med Treasures Indy, Well I say 1st cruise it is our only cruise to date!!! We are addicted though and are really looking forward to the 2 cruises on Ventura and Indy. We have even booked Caribbean cruise on Oasis for next June-- sails on 12/6/10 so exactly a year to wait!!!! If you are ever dowm on the harbour you will have to let us know- we are just across the blue bridge from the Harvester-- take care Debbie

I was at Sovereign Harbour last Friday with my Dad for lunch. Also I think you live in the same building as someone I know! We nearly bought a place in Soverign Harbour last year and viewed a few lovely properties there! My office is in Hampden Park.

What a small world!

If you want to contact me, I will put my email address below for 24 hours.

Regards

Gail

I was at Sovereign Harbour last Friday with my Dad for lunch. Also I think you live in the same building as someone I know! We nearly bought a place in Soverign Harbour last year and viewed a few lovely properties there! My office is in Hampden Park.

What a small world!

If you want to contact me, I will put my email address below for 24 hours.

Regards

Gail

Hi Gail,

We have a little house that overlooks the small west harbour-we love living here. Yes if you come down to the harbour it would be nice to meet at the Waterfront and find out more about your cruises- can contact me on debmilmoe@btinternet.com

• 1 month later...

we found this an excellent choice, and talking to some fellow passengers who chose the do it yourself route, we had much more time to spend in bruges. Try a horse buggy ride they are wonderful x

You will be fine staying on the ship - it will be nice and quiet! Some people will stay on as the idea of the weekenders is to get a taste of the ship. Others will want to get off and see the sights - especially if it's somewhere they've not been before.

Archived